Phone Encryption not working with the EU ROM.

Hello,

i have mi8 and my friend mi9,
We use latest 04.09MIUI 12 dev build.
Is there a NORMAL way to encrypt our phones?
these some work applications which has ENCRYPTION requirements and we can't use them at all :(

ideal solution WIthout fromatting and clean install.
encrypt data button - simply doesn't work as was mention above - phone asks for pin and once entered -just returing to the same page with ecnrypt button.

need help

Hello together,
I would just like to let you know that I followed the advice in this thread successfully and now my Mi8 is finally encrypted.

I did the following:
  • downloaded (from the web) and installed (from within TWRP) lastest TWRP from LR.Team 3.3.1-1031
  • downloaded the zip file from LOLO9393 from post #23
  • booted to TWRP - copied in the filemanager my fstab.qcom file and pasted it into a folder which I can access from my PC (it was somewhere in data/ was a bit tricky to find. I pasted it in my download folder)
  • modified the file with a text editor acording to LOLO9393 discription in his post #23
  • unzipped his zip, replaced his fstab with mine and zipped it all again
  • format data in TWRP and rebooted into TWRP
  • copied lastest eu_multi_MI8_V12.5.1.0 rom (downloaded from this forum) and the created zip file to internal storage of my phone (while still in TWRP)
  • in TWRP install I queed the rom and the zip file (make sure zip signature verification is off) and installed both
  • wipe cache/dalvic
  • booted into system
  • set it all up and my phone is encrypted
  • booted back to TWRP and TWRP asked me to draw my unlock pattern - yay
  • booted back to system and setting up my new encrypted miui on my Mi8

Big thanks to you guys! You did all the work, I just followed what you did, Thank you very much

kind regards
Bob

Hello together,
I would just like to let you know that I followed the advice in this thread successfully and now my Mi8 is finally encrypted.

I did the following:
  • downloaded (from the web) and installed (from within TWRP) lastest TWRP from LR.Team 3.3.1-1031
  • downloaded the zip file from LOLO9393 from post #23
  • booted to TWRP - copied in the filemanager my fstab.qcom file and pasted it into a folder which I can access from my PC (it was somewhere in data/ was a bit tricky to find. I pasted it in my download folder)
  • modified the file with a text editor acording to LOLO9393 discription in his post #23
  • unzipped his zip, replaced his fstab with mine and zipped it all again
  • format data in TWRP and rebooted into TWRP
  • copied lastest eu_multi_MI8_V12.5.1.0 rom (downloaded from this forum) and the created zip file to internal storage of my phone (while still in TWRP)
  • in TWRP install I queed the rom and the zip file (make sure zip signature verification is off) and installed both
  • wipe cache/dalvic
  • booted into system
  • set it all up and my phone is encrypted
  • booted back to TWRP and TWRP asked me to draw my unlock pattern - yay
  • booted back to system and setting up my new encrypted miui on my Mi8

Big thanks to you guys! You did all the work, I just followed what you did, Thank you very much

kind regards
Bob
Congratulation you are Top!
This is the most difficult way you took! A good learning!

You will be able to test the zip encrypt at next rom update because you encryption is reverted doing it.
I am pretty sure the zip is going to work the same because we already checked and Fstab file are the same for all this phone family.
Have a nice day and thanks for your reporting.

Reactions: undefined
Just a litte reminder for everyone who is trying to install the latest rom:

Don't forget to quee the rom AND the modiefied zip file from @LOLO9393

I accidentally forgot the zip file and had some trouble (Phone was stuck at MIUI logo). But the fix was luckily kinda easy. Just shut your phone down, reboot into TWRP (power+vol up (hopefully it was up)) and just install the rom AND the modiefied zip again. Thank god it worked

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LOLO9393
I have read all the previous post, but just to try: is there any way to encrypt without format data?

Thank you!

I have read all the previous post, but just to try: is there any way to encrypt without format data?

Thank you!
I really don't remember all my check. (It worked well in tripping fstab via TWRP explorer)
Try it without. Anyway you will be force to do it clean after. same result.

Reactions: Bórtex
I can find fstab files but just not fstab.qcom. I'm using Redmi Note 9T with super partition. Does this encryption method work for phones that use super partition?