Poco F2 Pro and questions before flashing and rooting

TheLesh

Members
Jan 28, 2021
Hi all!

I'm not new to flashing and rooting but I'll admit it's been a while since I've done anything related to that so I'm a bit rusty and lost among new procedures and apps. Also this is my first Xiaomi phone so I have a few questions and dilemmas for anybody willing to help and write.

A few days ago I received the official OTA Update to MIUI12.2.4 (Global) and I can not even begin listing all the bugs and issues I started to experience. Since then I started reading about various custom ROMs and came to realise that Xiaomi.eu is something right along my alley - available for flashing, based on official, but with strong community behind it and (most importantly) with timely updates.

That being said, I've already spent several hours reading through not only this but other forums and threads and, since I am a bit out of the loop I'd like to know a few things:

1. Is it correct that currently I can not normally unlock bootloader, and flash TWRP (or any other recovery) in order to flash the latest Xiaomi.eu ROM without downgrading from my current official ROM?

2. Since MIUI.eu ROM has weekly OTA updates, will I be able to receive OTA updates and flash them if I am rooted with Magisk (I used to be rooted, but never with Magisk and I don't know how to use it)?

3. Will I have to flash TWRP or Magisk or reroot anything additional after each weekly update?

3. Can all Safetynet issues currently be resolved with Magisk if rooted?

4. When compared to stock global ROM, are there any annoying persistent issues or bugs with .eu ROM on F2 Pro? How's the battery life when compared to stock and does rapid charge work?

5. I've read on some forums that some custom ROMs for F2 pro have issues with AMOLED screens, something related to color/brightness auto-adjustment, not quite sure what exactly any more, but I've read it could seriously hurt screens and cause burn-ins - does this happen with this ROM?

6. Will this weekly work as a clean flash for the F2: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/21-1-20-21.59581/ I'm a bit confused that there seems to be a single link/zip for each and every Xiaomi phone.

I probably have a lot more questions but can't really think of them at the moment so hopefully there will be some kind soul out there willing to help out, answer questions and stand by for more.

Sorry for a lengthy post and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome! :)

1. You can unlock the bootloader of your device from any Official ROM version. After that you can flash TWRP and install a custom ROM.

2. Yes, no issue and Magisk is easy to use.

3. You have to flash Magisk (if you want to be rooted) after each ROM update.

3. SafetyNet is passing without the need of Magisk on latest xiaomi.eu ROM's versions. If Magisk installed, you only need to enable "Magisk Hide" option in Magisk Manager app (and it's also recommended to "Hide Magisk Manager" too => First, enable "Install via USB" option in developer options, in phone's settings).

4. Everything should work without big issues.

5. You speak about a few AOSP ROMs. MIUI-based ROMs have anti-burning preventions by Xiaomi.

6. All xiaomi.eu ROMs can be clean flashed. For your POCO F2 Pro, download & install "HMK30Pro" in the ROM's name.

New ROM update (21.1.28) will be available soon.

;)

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for such a fast and detailed reply! I guess I'll be flashing the .eu ROM soon!

As soon as I get enough time to backup everything, download everything I need for flashing I'll get onto it! It might take a week or two to get a day off and I might ask a few things in the process as well!

But thanks once again and all the best!

Hello there and welcome! :)
(...)
This is me starting to be an askhole :)

Can you advise on what version of TWRP to download for POCO F2 pro since I see there are several TWRP versions for K30?

Also, once i flash TWRP, and install ROM, do I have to launch it, set it up and then flashMagisk, or can I flash it right after flashing the OS?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is me starting to be an askhole :)

Can you advise on what version of TWRP to download for POCO F2 pro since I see there are several TWRP versions for K30

Also, once i flash TWRP, and install ROM, do I have to launch it, set it up and then flashMagisk, or can I flash it right after flashingthe OS?

Thanks!
lol... ^^

I advise this one => https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145679747

I read that it's better to flash Magisk after set it up your device. ;)

Clean-flash method is:

1) Flash TWRP and hold " Vol + " & " Power " buttons simultaneously until you boot to TWRP
2) Use "Format Data" button in "Wipe" menu (you have to type 'yes' to confirm)
3) Go in the "Reboot" menu > "Recovery"
4) Flash ROM in TWRP then reboot

:)

EDIT: For now, I guess you must use "pattern" method (for unlocking your device) if you want to be able to decrypt /data partition in TWRP, on Android 11 ROMs.

Reactions: TheLesh
lol... ^^

Clean-flash method is:

1) Flash TWRP and hold " Vol + " & " Power " buttons simultaneously until you boot to TWRP

EDIT: For now, I guess you must use "pattern" method (for unlocking your device) if you want to be able to decrypt /data partition in TWRP, on Android 11 ROMs.

Wow, awesome! You are hella fast! Thanks!

Are there some ADB drivers or some software I need to install before flashingTWRP via my PC (the fastboot method). And can you point me to some tutorial on how fastboot flashing woks? I did that only once looong ago, when I had to unlock and flash my then brand new OnePlus One

EDIT: Hey, thanks, but you don't have to mess around with that. I managed to Google it myself. At least I think I did :)

I will probably have more questions later in the process though ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Hi, @Poney70

Just to let you know that I started with the whole procedure, and I've hit the first wall, the 168-hour waiting time to unlock bootloader with miflash_unlock. I have to wait 168 hours :'(

So I guess I'll update you in about a week.

Meanwhile, just to make sure - once I flash TWRP, it's permanently there, right? I've read somewhere that there is something like a temporary TWRP installation that disappears after you flash the ROM... I wouldn't wish that to happen....

Last edited:
Hi, @Poney70

Just to let you know that I started with the whole procedure, and I've hit the first wall, the 168-hour waiting time to unlock bootloader with miflash_unlock. I have to wait 168 hours :'(

So I guess I'll update3 you in about a week.

Meanwhile, just to make sure - once I flash TWRP, it's permanently there, right? I've read somewhere that there is something like a temporary TWRP installation that disappears after you flash the ROM... I wouldn't wish that to happen....
Flashing TWRP should be permanent => In fact, the "vbmeta" partition should be patched to avoid TWRP to be overwritten by the stock "Mi Recovery". Some TWRP will patch the "vbmeta" partition during the first boot in TWRP, some don't. Anyway, Flashing xiaomi.eu ROM will install a patched "vbmeta" image for your device.

But for some devices with some ROM versions, you can only flash a specific TWRP (otherwise, your device will be stuck in fastboot mode). It's caused by an important kernel update by Xiaomi.

Good question. I'm eager to learn the answer as well.

Also, since 4his is Android 11, are chat bubbles working for all apps as they should? Are they round or square? Since stock rom messed them up

lol... ^^

Clean-flash method is:

Regarding the initial question how safe is the TWRP by LR.Team/wzsx150 did somebody checked the code from the team ? Since i did not found a GitHub page for it. Since i see mauronofrio's TWRP has open source attitude.

Thanks in advance for answering my amateur question(pls dont lynch me :p )

Regarding the initial question how safe is the TWRP by LR.Team/wzsx150 did somebody checked the code from the team ? Since i did not found a GitHub page for it. Since i see mauronofrio's TWRP has open source attitude.

Thanks in advance for answering my amateur question(pls dont lynch me :p )
AFAIK all chineses' TWRP are not open source, but LR.Team/wzsx150 is a well-known dev. If you can trust xiaomi.eu ROMs, you can also trust them (I guess?). :D

Reactions: Donsherlock
hi @Poney70

It's me!

I managed to unlock bootloader, i flashed TWRP and flashed the miui eu rom but now it keeps rebooting to recovery instead of miui.

Can you help please?

EDIT: I wiped data/cache, and re-flashed the rom and I cleaned dalvik cache after that, then I chose to reboot after flashing and it has been stuck on MIUI logo for about 10 minues. I don't know how long am I supposed to wait for the first boot?

thanks

EDIT #2: tried copying latest miui eu rom to phone storage, and flashed it via TWRP. Cleared data/cache afterwards. Chose reboot, and I'm still stuck at MIUI logo, for almost 15 minutes now.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
If it Poco f2 pro ,YOu need to install Chinese firmware first before flashing xiaomi.eu rom
and after installing twrp ,first format data then again reboot into recovery
then flash xiaomi.eu rom

If it Poco f2 pro ,YOu need to install Chinese firmware first before flashing xiaomi.eu rom
and after installing twrp ,first format data then again reboot into recovery
then flash xiaomi.eu rom
What do you mean by Chinese firmware? Do you mean the Chinese version of the stock firmware?