Possible Google location services / GPS conflict

ear8dmg

Members
Nov 20, 2013
I've been using a Mi2S for about a month and this is my first post here. I seem to have a problem with GPS accuracy when google location services are enabled. I am based in the UK and have seen the same behaviour using 3.11.8 and 3.11.15 ROMs.

In the Tomtom and Navigate 6 navigation apps, the reported GPS speed is inconsistent when Google location services are turned on. Additionally Navigate 6 periodically loses its location and locks onto alternative roads for a while. Tomtom is better at keeping tabs on position, as it switches over to a compass and accelerometer based system when it loses GPS postion and seems to ignore less precise location information. With Google location services off, the speed reads consistently with the speedometer on my car (about a 3mph difference at 70mph, which is what I expect) and GPS postion is lost far less frequently.

The problems seems to happen at consistent locations, which I think may be transitions between cell tower areas. I think that at these points something may be causing the coarse network location to be prioritised over the fine GPS location at the moment.

I have no problems with obtaining an initial GPS lock on the phone, which is very fast. The phone typically locks onto 9-14 satellites within seconds outdoors and within a minute or two upstairs indoors.

Any tips on how to solve the problem? A widget or shortcut that I could place on the home screen that would turn GPS on and Google location services off would be a reasonable workaround but I can't seem to find one, so currently have to go through the settings menus.

Incidentaly, the Tomtom App is listed as incompatible with the Mi2S on Google Play. In order to install it I sideloaded using the apk extracted from my old phone (a Motorola Defy+). I have put in a request to Tomtom to have various Xiaomi phones made to be compatible in the Google Play store. I have also reported the Navigate 6 locking onto incorrect roads problem to Route 66, who developed Navigate 6.

Edit: It seems this may be related to power saving. In power saving mode I get considerably more GPS 'wander' than in normal or performance modes. Will test further later.

Last edited:
Just a thought - Where is the GPS antenna on the MI2S? I'm guessing the 3G, Wi-Fi and GPS antennae are at the top of the phone either side of the camera. I think I recall seeing pictures of the internals stating where the antennae were but can't recall where I found them.

When I first started using the MI2S for navigation I didn't notice any problems with randomly going off route. I mounted it in the car with landscape orientation with the charger on the left. More recently I've been using the charger on the right side, as the cable is more conveniently placed.

Does this right-side charger placement mean that the GPS antenna is effectively beneath the wi-fi / 3G and therefore more subject to EMI disruption with their operation?