Pro recording microphone modes

eng333

Members
Oct 11, 2023
I'm using the 14Ultra. I don't understand the microphone modes in the pro setting.

There are multiple settings described as follows:
Omni-directional: Sound from all directions is equalized to create a balanced audio experience for the entire scene
Forward: This mode focus on sound in front of the person holding the camera and reduces sound from other directions
Rear: This mode focuses on sound behind the person holding the camera and reduces sound from other directions
Trajectory: This mode allows you to record clear sound from in front of and behind the person holding the camera by attenuating the sound to the left and right
Source zoom: focus on sound within the viewfinder range and reduces sound from other directions.

The descriptions are with reference to "the person holding the camera" instead of the camera itself. This doesnt make sense to me. What if I'm using the front facing camera, then is "forward and rear" reversed? Isn't "Forward" the same as "Source zoom"? Or does it become the same as "rear" if using the front facing camera?