Question About Locked Bootloading

BigSilky

Members
Apr 29, 2016
Hi sorry for the noob question but I'm looking at getting the Redmi Note 3

I keep seeing issues with the bootloader being locked. My question is if I'm ordering from gearbest and they have the international ROM with google play etc on it, would I necessarily need to unlock the bootloader?

What benefits is there from changing the ROM? Cheers

I ordered from gearbest and had my device with a custom romantic installed from the vendor (you should better ask gearbest not to install a modified rom when ordering). Google was installed but no way to update officially.
I flashed with miflash the last global stable but had issues with WiFi. Then updated to the last global beta en.miui.
This is pretty decent and good rom.
I DID ALL WITHOUT UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER.

So just to clarify the modified ROM you got when ordering from gearbest isn't good, and that's why you suggest asking them to send one without it?

Exactly. So they should send you a phone with stock China stable rom (chinese/english).

I understand now. Is the only disadvantage of the Chinese ROM that it has Chinese apps/ no google play? Is that difficult to change once you get it?

Don't think.... I don't know I was forced to flash my actual Rom. It is not a question of difficulty (lots of guides to read but very detailed) but the risk to make an error and have potentially your phone bricked...

I have been waiting for 2 weeks to get an unlock code but I didn't receive anything. Then I followed a guide to do semi-unlock and flashed xiaomi.eu ROm 7.2.2 on my Redmi Note 3 Pro (kenzo).

Also alot of customised ROMs by suppliers have malware on them. I am a noob myself. When I got my phone first thing I did was check for malware. and as expected found loads of it using AVG. So I went through all the hoops of figuring out how to flash and asking questions whether I needed to unlock the bootloader.

So far I HAVE FLASHED GLOBAL ROM STABLE WITHOUT UNLOCKING BOOT LOADER. Although I have got the confirmation from xiaomi to unlock the bootloader I have decided not to do it now as I am very happy with the kenzo ROM I have now.

@nsansari
What rom version do you have now?
I had Kenzo global stable 7.2.3 ... With WiFi bug... So updated to global beta 6.4.14 witch I recommend!

it is MIUI Global 7.2 Stable - 7.2.3.0(LHOMIDA)

I don't have any wifi issues at all. Everything working as it should. I have a Redmi note 3 pro 32gb by the way. Also as soon as I installed the above ROM I got a OTA update as well.

and this is the step by step I followed. ....thread-235865-1-1.html

Also alot of customised ROMs by suppliers have malware on them. I am a noob myself. When I got my phone first thing I did was check for malware. and as expected found loads of it using AVG. So I went through all the hoops of figuring out how to flash and asking questions whether I needed to unlock the bootloader.

So far I HAVE FLASHED GLOBAL ROM STABLE WITHOUT UNLOCKING BOOT LOADER. Although I have got the confirmation from xiaomi to unlock the bootloader I have decided not to do it now as I am very happy with the kenzo ROM I have now.

I would gladly keep Global Stable ROM if it had the Dutch language on it.