Question about the task killer

evoooo

Members
Nov 7, 2010
Why do people just randomly spew on about task killing saying it's bad now because of froyo, and that programs will just start back up at random? (I agree they do this, but they did this before froyo too.)

Like...I've noticed after 4-5 hours of use, I will start to feel some lagging going on. I use the built in app killer, and about 4 seconds later, everything runs smooth again, and there is NO drop in battery at ALL because I did so...

So...can someone explain to me in great detail why people on reddit/xda say task killers are so evil? I wish I could find an example, but it's usually when someone posts a screencap and they're using advanced task killer, someone will come in screaming and go off on a rant about it like they know what they're talking about.

Back in the 10.29 release of this rom, I was using google translator on miui.com seeing people do the same thing I do with the app killer, and it worked just fine for them.

The way I see it, the MIUI guys are pretty smart with what their doing, especially having lent multiple tips to Cyanogen, so I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing... Battery life is a big concern on MIUI, so why would they put a foolish app killer on their rom if it did nothing but bad?

I for one like it, but again, I'd like it if someone explained to me otherwise...

TL;DR - Why are task killers so "bad"?

The built-in task killer isn't quite the same because it doesn't do it automatically. It only kills things when you tell it to.

On the other hand, it hasn't been problem-free for me. Just yesterday, it killed the launcher, and it wouldn't start back up for a while. Not the first time it's killed the launcher on me, either. That said, I do find it useful from time to time.