Questions for a newbie

Thefrog

Members
Sep 23, 2024
Hello,

I'm buying Xiaomi 13 phone from China (they dont sell this phone in my home country anymore and I really like this phone!), but I'll need to be able to use google services.

1. Do google services work normally on a xiaomi eu or global rom? Can you update the non-system apps through there normally? (I couldn't figure this out, it seems you can, but then rooting is meant to prevent this cause of "Play integrity attestation", but is changing the rom the same as rooting??)

2. In the future if I want / need to update the system, is it possible without doing a whole phone wipe?

3. I'm understanding that I'd need to install the HyperOS rom? Is that possible for xiaomi 13?

4. What is TWRP and is it better than using the ("what seems to be a more "direct") fastboot method?

Thank you for your time, and apologies for my ignorance

Best,
Thefrog

First, keep in mind you need to unlock the bootloader, and it is more complicated recently for Chinese phones (you probably will need to pay if it is not already unlocked)

1) Yes, at least on Xiaomi.eu. Google Pay works, but Google is actively trying to break it on custom ROMs.
2) Yes
3) It is not required, but Miui 14 will not be updated anymore
4) TWRP is a recovery, a tool outside of Android, it gives you a few system level utilities, like cleaning the cache, and it enable updates without a computer.

Reactions: gogocar62
First, keep in mind you need to unlock the bootloader, and it is more complicated recently for Chinese phones (you probably will need to pay if it is not already unlocked)
Thank you for the reply. Oh, what do you mean by I will need to pay? Like pay someone to unlock it for me?