Questions on Android system

Redbean

Members
Jul 19, 2013
Hi,

I am a new android user. I don't know if this question is related to MIUI rom specifically or general android questions.

1)When I install an apk, where is it installed to?

2)If I want to uninstall an application, what is removed? Only the application? What about setting/save data?

3)From file explorer, I can see many folders. May I know which folder can be deleted safely?

4)In my reboot recovery, I can see many settings to wipe. (I'm using CWM). Can you please explain what each of them will do?
a)wipe data/ factory reset (I have tested this just now, this seems to remove all my user setting, uninstall my applications, but the data remains, songs, pictures, etc)
b)wipe cache partition
c)wipe dalvik cache

Thank you for answering.

Hi,

I am a new android user. I don't know if this question is related to MIUI rom specifically or general android questions.

1)When I install an apk, where is it installed to?

2)If I want to uninstall an application, what is removed? Only the application? What about setting/save data?

3)From file explorer, I can see many folders. May I know which folder can be deleted safely?

4)In my reboot recovery, I can see many settings to wipe. (I'm using CWM). Can you please explain what each of them will do?
a)wipe data/ factory reset (I have tested this just now, this seems to remove all my user setting, uninstall my applications, but the data remains, songs, pictures, etc)
b)wipe cache partition
c)wipe dalvik cache

Thank you for answering.

1) /data partition
2) The app, and its associated /data. (If it stores in sdcard, I'm not sure if thats removed).
3) Don't go start deleting stuff because you "think" you need more space. Most of those files are caches for tons of apks, and unless you want to continually download 10-100mb of stuff, keep it.

4a) Wipes /data and /system. (Doesn't touch sdcard card which is where pics, songs, are)
4b) Wipes /cache. Good for in between flashes, but usually automatically wiped and handled by Android
4c) The cache for dex files, EX when the classes.dex is disassembled to ODEX, its stored there.

Is there a basic directory in Android, like in Windows?
Just want to know if there is a specific folder that I should not touch.
Because I have wipe data/factory reset, my applications are no longer there. But I can see the folders remain there.
Is it safe to remove it?

Is there a basic directory in Android, like in Windows?
Just want to know if there is a specific folder that I should not touch.
Because I have wipe data/factory reset, my applications are no longer there. But I can see the folders remain there.
Is it safe to remove it?
Usually it points to /sdcard. You can delete anything there, but some of the applications might search for their settings. If you don't grant root permission, there shouldn't be too much to worry about. Some of the folder / data just might get rewritten if needed by the app.

Sent from my Desire S using Tapatalk 4