RESOLVED!!! DESPERATE - MI 12 Pro MIUI 14(Zeus) Global - stuck on Fastboot screen after trying to install TWRP

idlesurfer

Members
Dec 12, 2023
UPDATE: 16:11 GMT

I've had a reply from @Igor-eisberg - but his post is closed to replies.

Igor, I've already tried - several times - to get out of Fastboot mode using the method in your reply for SD 8 Gen 1, but it hasn't\doesn't worked.

I'm still stuck in fastboot mode and can't even power off the phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I'm trying to give as much info as possible.

After trying to install TWRP, my phone is now stuck on the Fastboot screen (orange text\black background). It now only reboots, after showing the MI logo for 1 second, to Fastboot screen.

TWRP Used: twrp-3.7.0_12-v7.9_A13-zeus-skkk

Many of the instructions I've tried have really confused me.

Some mention flashing vbmeta; others don't;
Some say no-verity-opt-encrypt is required, but none say how/when to flash it

I tried to flash TWRP as follows:

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot erase userdata

then...

fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img

then...

fastboot boot twrp.img

The following error message appears:

C:\adb>fastboot.exe boot twrp.img
Sending 'boot.img' (102400 KB) OKAY [ 2.194s]
Booting FAILED (remote: 'Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Bad Buffer Size')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I'm now stuck on the Fastboot screen.

I've tried...

fastboot erase misc
fastboot set_active a
fastboot reboot recovery

... but fastboot reboot recovery takes me back to the fastboot screen - after showing the MI logo for a split-second.

I ran fastboot getvar all, and the "slot" output is as follows:

(bootloader) has-slot:modem:yes
(bootloader) has-slot:system:no
(bootloader) current-slot:a
(bootloader) has-slot:boot:yes
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:b:7
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:b:yes
(bootloader) slot-successful:b:yes
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:a:7
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:a:no
(bootloader) slot-successful:a:no
(bootloader) slot-count:2

I'm DESPERATELY hoping someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

IS:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Thanks for replying.

I've tried getting out of fastboot mode, several times, using the method for SD8 Gen1, but it doesn't work. I can't even power off the phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for replying.

I've tried getting out of fastboot mode, several times, using the method for SD8 Gen1, but it doesn't work. I can't even power off the phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

You cannot reboot to recovery as there is no recovery installed. It will boot back to fastboot as far as my understanding goes.
Don't mess with the vbmeta.img file, it's not necessary.
Reboot to fastboot mode (orange text).

In fastboot type one command at a time:

Code:
fastboot erase misc
fastboot set_active a
fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp.img
fastboot reboot recovery

If this doesn't work you probably erased/messed up some other partition needed for the system to work properly and I would consider re-flashing the entire ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: idlesurfer
Thanks for replying.

Re: having to reinstall rom: I was thinking along those lines and, last night, did just that by installing xiaomi.eu_multi_XM12Pro_V14.0.15.0.TLBCNXM_v14-13.zip

And Lo! All was good with the world! :p:emoji_thumbsup:

Funny thing is, on first boot, it booted into TWRP. I don't think the Rom comes with TWRP, so one of my previous attempts to install it must have been successful.

Anyhoo, I installed Magisk (no modules), rooted, installed Titanium Backup (yes, been using it for 12 years, and it's never let me down), took a nandroid - which I've stashed on a dedicated USB drive, AND on my NAS, as a "clean" install.

I'll be installing\configuring all my "go to" apps and settings preferences over the weekend and, if all goes well, will finally, at last, put my SIM card into the phone!!

Until, if, and when, that day arrives, my SIM will remain in my Galaxy S20+ 5G - which has been an outstanding phone for the last 3+ years.

Just one thing: Do I still need to, or should I, flash no-verity-opt-encrypt?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I.S.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeiGuddet
Thanks for replying.

Re: having to reinstall rom: I was thinking along those lines and, last night, did just that by installing xiaomi.eu_multi_XM12Pro_V14.0.15.0.TLBCNXM_v14-13.zip

And Lo! All was good with the world! :p:emoji_thumbsup:

Funny thing is, on first boot, it booted into TWRP. I don't think the Rom comes with TWRP, so one of my previous attempts to install it must have been successful.

Anyhoo, I installed Magisk (no modules), rooted, installed Titanium Backup (yes, been using it for 12 years, and it's never let me down), took a nandroid - which I've stashed on a dedicated USB drive, AND on my NAS, as a "clean" install.

I'll be installing\configuring all my "go to" apps and settings preferences over the weekend and, if all goes well, will finally, at last, put my SIM card into the phone!!

Until, if, and when, that day arrives, my SIM will remain in my Galaxy S20+ 5G - which has been an outstanding phone for the last 3+ years.

Just one thing: Do I still need to, or should I, flash no-verity-opt-encrypt?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I.S.
Yeah, you probably messed the ROM trying to flash vbmeta.img and later you successfully flashed the recovery but the system was corrupted so that's why you got TWRP working after re-flashing the ROM. Anyway, glad it worked.
As for no-verity-opt-encrypt I don't think you need to do anything. I didn't with mine and it's working flawlessly.
Also, TWRP 3.7.0_12-v7.9_A13-skkk supports decryption just fine.

Reactions: idlesurfer