[Resolved] Do not update to 14.0.3.0 if you don't want a broken package installer

Carmennn

Members
May 12, 2020
Recently updated to 14.0.3.0 from 14.0.1.0. Unnoticeable changes in performance. Tiny changes with UI (new status bar icon, home screen blurring, etc?).
Big issue is with split apks which, for some reason, Package Installer (com.miui.packageinstaller) suddenly stopped working with. Attempting to install split apks with the Package Installer (using SAI, split apk installer) in quick succession will show this in an error screen:
Code:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.miui.packageinstaller/com.miui.packageInstaller.InstallStart}: java.lang.NullPointerException: Parameter specified as non-null is null: method j8.i.f, parameter uri
    at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(Unknown Source:911)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(Unknown Source:77)
    at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(Unknown Source:79)
    at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(Unknown Source:77)
    at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(Unknown Source:76)
    at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(Unknown Source:172)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Unknown Source:19)
    at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Unknown Source:182)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Unknown Source:82)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(Unknown Source:123)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(Unknown Source:11)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(Unknown Source:312)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Parameter specified as non-null is null: method j8.i.f, parameter uri
    at p5.i.d(Unknown Source:7)
    at com.miui.packageInstaller.InstallStart.g(Unknown Source:17)
    at com.miui.packageInstaller.InstallStart.onCreate(Unknown Source:467)
    at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Unknown Source:127)
    at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Unknown Source:1)
    at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Unknown Source:3)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(Unknown Source:636)
    ... 12 more

Only solution I found is to use SAI (Split apk installer) with root and let SAI itself install the apks. This sucks for users without root and the apps that calls on the default package installer to install their split apks (Vendetta, SAI).

Curious to see if others are experiencing the same.

Also, is there a way to choose a different default package installer so that apps don't use the currently broken miui package installer?

Last edited:

Reactions: Carmennn
Thank you! I admit I find it difficult to look for information on the site, so I appreciate letting me know where to look.
Great to hear that it will be fixed!

Only solution I found is to use SAI (Split apk installer) with root and let SAI itself install the apks.
If you don't have root access: If you have access to the APKs that you try to install you can try Shizuku. afaik Shizuku basically gives apps (that support shizuku) access to ADB, and (so it seems) installing Split APKs via ADB still works. I recently found out about it and SAI is compatible with it (Settings > Installer > Shizuku). With Root the setup process is by far the easiest, but at least there's some way to make it work without Root. Here's the official guide to set it up, or you can also find it in the app itself.
This sucks for users without root and the apps that calls on the default package installer to install their split apks (Vendetta, SAI).
If the APKs are stored in a location where the user has no access to it, absolutely. For Vendetta however:
I copied the logs in Vendetta, located where the patched APKs were (/Android/data/dev.beefers.vendetta.manager/cache/<discord version>/patched/lspatched/), copied them into a folder accessible by SAI, went into SAI and selected the APKs from there, and SAI installed via Shizuku without issues. Or you install pre-patched APKs that you can find on their discord server, tho this may create problems if you try to update via their manager in the future. Choose whatever suits you.

Reactions: Carmennn