ROM question from a Xiaomi noob

Intrance

Members
Dec 28, 2021
Hello! I recently got myself a Mi 11 Ultra as I really enjoy the less processed look of the images it can produce. I purchased a CN model via a reseller with the option enabled to have them put a Xiaomi EU ROM on it. All went well, got the device, updated to 12.5.20 and so far so good.

I would like to go to the MIUI 13 Stable version when it becomes available, and it seems that so far only fastboot will be the option. I tried installing the weekly by rebooting into fastboot mode and running the update .bat script on my laptop running Windows 11. All I got was a blinking cursor in the CMD window :emoji_sweat_smile:.

So I am not quite sure how to proceed.

- Does it mean my bootloader is locked? (I assume no, because TWRP is installed and I'm obviously already running the Xiaomi EU ROM but perhaps there is another way of doing all that?).
- Is it a Windows 11 issue?
- Can I check in the Xiaomi EU rom what the bootloader status is?

I apologize if these are some stupid questions. The last time I was dealing with custom roms was with a Galaxy S7 and the Xiaomi way of doing things and stuff like fastboot is new to me. I'm reading about people (partially) bricking their phones by trying to flash the wrong rom on the wrong model and I'm really just hoping to avoid that.

once your bootloader is unlocked you cant lock it again so yes it is unlocked for you.
it might be a windows 11 but im not sure.
you also cant go from weekly to stable without data wipe btw just saying, try on windows 10 just to make sure, its not a win 11 issue

Reactions: Intrance
once your bootloader is unlocked you cant lock it again so yes it is unlocked for you.
it might be a windows 11 but im not sure.
you also cant go from weekly to stable without data wipe btw just saying, try on windows 10 just to make sure, its not a win 11 issue
Thanks, I will try it on my girlfriends laptop, all my systems are on Windows 11 *facepalm*.
I will also double check if I'm perhaps missing drivers.

I did try both the .bat files, so also the one including factory reset, but they both basically just don't do anything. I'll update here once I get a chance to try it on Win10.

This is actually a very false and misleading statement. Bootloader can be locked and unlocked as much as you want. Just make sure you're on an official rom when you lock your bootloader.

I tried installing the weekly by rebooting into fastboot mode and running the update .bat script on my laptop running Windows 11. All I got was a blinking cursor in the CMD window
You need to install fastboot drivers (windows 10 or windows 11 is irrelevant)
Follow the steps here

Thanks, I will try it on my girlfriends laptop, all my systems are on Windows 11 *facepalm*.
I will also double check if I'm perhaps missing drivers.

I did try both the .bat files, so also the one including factory reset, but they both basically just don't do anything. I'll update here once I get a chance to try it on Win10.
i think i know what is wrong now, right click the zip file and unblock it before unzipping it, this worked for me

Another noob question here. Can I upgrade to stable 13 from weekly 12.xx as it is an upgrade. Or do I still need to wipe?

Another noob question here. Can I upgrade to stable 13 from weekly 12.xx as it is an upgrade. Or do I still need to wipe?
hmm good question, i would assume you sadly need to wipe since they are different branches kind of

you dont have to wipe, you have to format your partition :)
does that mean you data will be gone or no? im quite new to this myself even though i have been running .eu for months, and how would one wipe partition? in twrp im guessing before flash?

does that mean you data will be gone or no? im quite new to this myself even though i have been running .eu for months, and how would one wipe partition? in twrp im guessing before flash?
yes you will loose your data… pics, music and so on. there are two bat files… update and format.

if you change from stable to weekly or vice versa you have to format your partition

my suggestion… if you are fine with your system, dont update

Reactions: biscoot and geoorg
yes you will loose your data… pics, music and so on. there are two bat files… update and format.

if you change from stable to weekly or vice versa you have to format your partition

my suggestion… if you are fine with your system, dont update
im just asking for a friend (im on miui 13 mi 11 stable), so if my friend is on global stock rom can they unlock bootloader and flash the fastboot updater for their mi 11 without data format since its just the update script?

im just asking for a friend (im on miui 13 mi 11 stable), so if my friend is on global stock rom can they unlock bootloader and flash the fastboot updater for their mi 11 without data format since its just the update script?
They will need to format data.

Reactions: geoorg
I have described it… dont use cloud backup and everything will be fine.

my suggestion.,. dont update
Described what? i wouldnt know if local backups from miui 12.5 would work on miui 13, which is why i also asked a few more questions afterwards