Root And Twrp For Latest Nougat Roms - With Locked Bootloader!

vel2000

Members
Mar 3, 2017
I've managed to boot TWRP 3.0.3-1 and get ROOT access on the latest Xiaomi.eu Roms without using the "official" Bullcr*p unlocking" from Xiaomi.
I can install the Nougat based ROMs from here + Supersu 2.79, or Resurrection Remix from TWRP.
I guess all other Nougat based ROMs will work too.
I'm lazy, but if enough people are interested, I will write a (longer) howto. ;-)

Sorry my mistake... the headline should read "with LOCKED Bootloader"
But I can't change it.

If a MOD could change "unlocked" to locked", I would be grateful.
Thanks

EDIT: got it!

With this method, TWRP is kept and fully working, so one can install custom ROMs, even if the bootloader is locked!
Screenshot_2017-03-03-12-28-44-574_com.joeykrim.rootcheck.png

Last edited:
You don't need to unlock the bootloader, to flash Custom Roms, or do Nandroid Backups!

Yepp will do that, if a few more people are interested, because a understandable howto will be time consuming, since English is not my first language...

Short version (with a few links):
  1. Download "http://bigota.d.miui.com/7.2.23/libra_images_7.2.23_20170223.0000.00_7.0_cn_31857e1473.tgz"
  2. Download "xiaomi.eu_multi_MI4c_7.2.23_v8-7.0.zip" from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634749108
  3. Download "TWRP-3.0.3-1-libra.img" from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862704733
  4. Download "MiFlash-MiPhone20151028.exe" from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24421527759885497
  5. unpack 1+2
  6. replace boot.img in (1) with boot.img from(2)
  7. replace recovery.img from(1) with "TWRP-3.0.3-1-libra.img", (rename it to recovery.img).
  8. adb reboot bootloader
  9. fastboot oem edl
  10. start "MiFlash-MiPhone20151028.exe" and flash the modified (1)
  11. reboot, now you have a Chinese Developer version, with fully working TWRP!
  12. reboot into TWRP and flash whatever you want.

Last edited:
It's just a "proof of concept", so before you flash other custom ROMs, than the Xiaomi.eu ones:
Always wipe "data, cache, dalvik, system" from TWRP!

Reactions: vladpaul
Demmit. Sounds so easy. With zip package extracted and we'll have separate boot.img, recovery and all others, just replace it with twrp and off we go. But how about md5?

you need to replace
Demmit. Sounds so easy. With zip package extracted and we'll have separate boot.img, recovery and all others, just replace it with twrp and off we go. But how about md5?

(1) is a .tgz file
(2) is a .zip
You have to replace "boot.img" + "recovery.img" in (1)
If you flash via edl mode, there is no MD5 check.

First thanks for this tutorial vel2000

how do you boot into TWRP ?
the only command that worked is
adb reboot recovery
Edit:
or via Updater App (right top corner "..." (three dots)) -> boot into recovery
or (device turned off) Volume UP + Powerbutton

Is it possible to enter recovery via fastboot?
fastboot boot twrp.img
or
fastboot boot recovery.img
does not work ?
---------------------------
And a second question. I know/understand why you replaced the recovery.img
But what is the sense/Background of exchanging the boot.img from XIAOMI.EU
The Rom that will load after flashing is still the China Developer Rom, so what has changed with the different boot.img?

Last edited:
First thanks for this tutorial vel2000
Is it possible to enter recovery via fastboot?
fastboot boot twrp.img
or
fastboot boot recovery.img
does not work ?
---------------------------

Usually, you can't boot into the "internal/integrated recovery" from fastboot with this commands.
You need an "external" twrp.img file on your PC, which is loaded, when you execute "fastboot boot twrp.img"

And a second question. I know/understand why you replaced the recovery.img
But what is the sense/Background of exchanging the boot.img from XIAOMI.EU
The Rom that will load after flashing is still the China Developer Rom, so what has changed with the different boot.img?

The boot.img was replaced, because the original "boot.img" from the Chinese Rom, overwrites TWRP on every reboot and replaces it with the "Chinese recovery".
Anyway, with almost every ROM you flash, the boot.img will be overwritten again. ;-)

Reactions: Cyberride