Root On Redmi 4 Pro Interferes With Usb Mtp Connection

NeoMod

Members
Aug 1, 2016
I have noticed, after a long series of tests, that after successfully rooting my device (Redmi 4 Pro) the USB Connectivity is heavily impaired.

The device is unable to switch to File Transfer mode, and it is also impossible to force the USB Settings dialog window to appear (for example using Shortcut Master and targeting the Settings-USB.Service task).

As soon as the device is completely unrooted the USB Connectivity starts working fine again…:(

I was wondering if someone else has faced this problem and possibly found a solution.

I can confirm that this happens also with redmi 4a....
Hope someone finds a solution, thanks!

Reactions: NeoMod
I have faced it too however I never came to the conclusion that it was because of rooting it. I just connected it to the PC sometimes and it just wouldnt detect it as a PC, the phone would just charge itself as if it was a normal charger. No option to switch on MTP. So just turn on USB debugging and issue ''adb shell'' then ''su'' and accept the SUperSU prompt on the device and then ''setprop sys.usb.config mtp,adb'' and it should connect via MTP again. Hope someone fixes this soon. Redmi 4 pro.

I have faced it too however I never came to the conclusion that it was because of rooting it. I just connected it to the PC sometimes and it just wouldnt detect it as a PC, the phone would just charge itself as if it was a normal charger. No option to switch on MTP. So just turn on USB debugging and issue ''adb shell'' then ''su'' and accept the SUperSU prompt on the device and then ''setprop sys.usb.config mtp,adb'' and it should connect via MTP again. Hope someone fixes this soon. Redmi 4 pro.

Thank you for the detailed procedure. I hope developers could fix this as soon as possible.

I'm sure it's related to the rooting process (probably more specifically to the SuperSU app version, but I have more tests to run before I jumping to this conclusion) because as soon as the rooting is removed and the app completely uninstalled everything works normally.

Should we issue a "bug report" somewhere on the forum? Or maybe we should issue a report with SuperSu developer?

On Redmi 4A the same story too.

After unroot from SuperSU the MTP connection is OK.
Again rooted with SuperSU NO mtp connection.

*************UPDATE************

I wrote in the /system/build.prop

persist.service.adb.enable=1
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb

Rebooted my phone.

And it is working now with SuperSU - I can connect to my PC.

Last edited:
On Redmi 4A the same story too.

After unroot from SuperSU the MTP connection is OK.
Again rooted with SuperSU NO mtp connection.

*************UPDATE************

I wrote in the /system/build.prop

persist.service.adb.enable=1
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb

Rebooted my phone.

And it is working now with SuperSU - I can connect to my PC.
Unfortunately it didn' work for me... (redmi 4a)

Does the position where i have to write that 3 "commands" is important?

Unfortunately it didn' work for me... (redmi 4a)
Does the position where i have to write that 3 "commands" is important?

Well, I wrote the 3 lines at the end of the build.prop file. If you on eu rom I could send my build.prop to you.

Some questions about your issue:
1. You are on EU ROM now? If you got it with china rom - could you connect to your pc? If not, maybe driver issue.
2. You could try what I did - unroot in the SuperSU and try that it can connect or not! If not I think you need some driver.
(You could download supersu package via wifi to put back after this unroot.)

Thank you for helping, but I've tried in an other way...
Superuser sent my phone in bootloop, so I've strated from scratch:
re-installed eu rom, re-installed apps (giving them all permissions), installed supersu v2.79 and mtp connection is still working

I opened every app and give permission that were asked (acces to postition, sd, contacts, etc)...
I know that maybe it wasn't important to do, but that's what I did ;-)

After installing .eu rom let it boot up and then go install superuser, later add phh superuser frontend app from google play.
I tried superuser app because there is problem with USB connection to PC yet. BUT it doesn't help and after mtp connection past some minutes and the connection lost.

Any idea?

Try to enable usb debbuging and after connecting phone to the computer, phone announces charging.
In quicksettings notice area you can change that to mtp file sharing.

Ok I know that - that is how I use it, but it only works for the first time after phone rebooted...

Also in terminal emulator you can issue commands:
setprop sys.usb.config mtp,adb
setprop sys.usb.configfs 1

Which will force phone usb port in mtp mode.

With latest ROM version and latest SuperSU apk the problem seems to be resolved, at least on Redmi 4 PRO. Could some one else confirm?

(make sure to wipe before upgrading, in case you wish to try)