Root On Redmi 4 Pro Interferes With Usb Mtp Connection

sorry I was wrong: it worked for a while and now MTP is not working anymore :(
I tried rebooting the phone and worked for I while, then now is not working anymore. So Supersu 2.79 SR3 IS NOT THE SOLUTION.

Sorry for my mistake.

Same issue with my Redmi 4 Prime Xiaomi's Global 8.1.2.0 or Stable Xiaomi.eu 8.1.3.0. When rooted, issue appears. ...
Bug in Xiaomi's rom ?

Kentaur, you answered as I wrote my text (see below). Can you please describe the procedure? I tried once to flash the superuser in twrp, but I couldn't find the icon as the phone was on. The Titanium backup also said that the phone isn't rooted.

Would the right procedure be:
- flash the superuser with twrp
- start the phone
- install the superuser app from the play store

And that is it?

Written before:
Sorry to hear that gaubry and giouncino. Did anybody tried to explore the russian 4pda forum? They seem to have a huge redmi 4 section including models A und prime.
I even found a patch there that should solve an usb and some other problems. It was written for a russian custom rom. I installed it on my phone, but it didn't want to start any more. I made a twrp backup before - so no harm was done.

Last edited:
Didn't work for me ... still no MTP connection.
But app is better than superSU that belongs to a dark chinese corporate. Chainfire is not the developper of SuperSU anymore! he sells his app a year ago.

Redmi 4 Prime Xiaomi.eu Stable 8.1.3.0

EDIT ! After a reboot, all is working fine :D
Think to restart your phone after full root and installation of SuperUser

EDIT 2 !If you clean your phone with the security xiaomi's app, don't clean the system cache !!! you will have to reboot your phone to make the MTP working again !!

Last edited:
I can confirm; it also works for the official international stable rom. It works even after 3 reboots.
There are many superuser apps in the play store. Be sure to take the pph superuser - just as kentaur said.

Thanks kentaur, thumbs up!!!

So if you don't hear from me in this thread any more it is a permanent solution.

For me this morning, it's not working ... i plug my phone, put it in MTP but nothing append on my laptop. i tested by uninstalling the root, reboot and .... it's working !!! so the root is the issue with or without SuperSU ... i uninstalled it for the moment cause i don't really require it (i already made my modifications). i think i will re-installed it when i really need root.

@Gaubry31, are you sure?
Kentaur's solution is still working for me: I rebooted the phone twice after installing it yesterday, and It continue to work.

This morning as soon as I switched the phone on (I usually switch off the phone during the night), MTP continue to work so far.

Yes, i'm sure ... i tried this morning, it show me the MTP option, but nothing appears on my laptop. i unplug and re plug my usb and no more MTP option displayed. this happend every time i reboot my phone. WHen i uninstall my root, it works immediately :/

Hmm, still working flawlesly for me (jut tested it...) - after about 3 days and about 4 reboots.
Gaubry, which rom do you use?

But it's ok for me. as i didn't need root all the time. it's working now when my prime is unrooting.

Yesterday I played with the audio adjustments (unfortionately without success :( ) so I did several reboots.
MTP still working fine. As said I am on official international 8.1.2.0 stable.

Just to confirm, I have a Redmi 4 Pro running latest weekly Xiaomi.eu 7.1.19 with Phh Superuser and MTP is working just fine

on weekly rom release thread, they should write a note about which superuser must be installed to avoid any trouble with MTP for our redmi 4...

Tj
On Redmi 4A the same story too.

After unroot from SuperSU the MTP connection is OK.
Again rooted with SuperSU NO mtp connection.

*************UPDATE************

I wrote in the /system/build.prop

persist.service.adb.enable=1
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb

Rebooted my phone.

And it is working now with SuperSU - I can connect to my PC.
Thanks a lot. Works on my Redmi 4 Prada.

I can confirm. using 7.1.19 and supersu for 3 days and mtp allways come on. did not change any line in build.prop. I had problems with phh and titanium.

I can confirm. using 7.1.19 and supersu for 3 days and mtp allways come on. did not change any line in build.prop. I had problems with phh and titanium.

Don't know what happened but today the MTP decided to play hide&seek again after 2 solid weeks with no problems. Didn't do any upgrades or any other stuff that could interfere with the MTP! What's going on???

Found this thread searching why USB tethering doesn’t work.
Really, SuperSu affects USB MTP together with RNDIS.
Editing build.prop returns MTP only (not USB tethering) for a some time, and needs restart to make it work again.
Clear installation (with no SuperSu) has both MTP and RNDIS working like charm.
Once installed, removing SuperSu doesn’t restore MTP and RNDIS functionality, firmware flash from scratch only helps.

kentaur wrote:
> No, its a bug in supersu, use phh superuser and you have no problems.
Used phh superuser - root, MTP and RNDIS work fine, BUT! Xposed installation bootloops the device.

Finally there are two options:
SuperSu + Xposed / no MTP no RNDIS or
phh superuser + MTP + RNDIS / no Xposed

---
Redmi 4 pro/8.1.2.0/xposed-v87-sdk23-arm64-MIUI-edition-by-SolarWarez-20161126

Last edited:
Built.prop addition, given by @blackbile, worked for me.
Redmi 4/Prime with eu 8.2.1.0 stable rom and SR4 superSU v2.78..

But let me ask a question;
The only required addition line on to built.prop is supposed to be "persist.service.adb.enable=1" says in another post of miui forum.
What are the purpose of the other two extra lines?

Last edited:
Used phh superuser - root, MTP and RNDIS work fine, BUT! Xposed installation bootloops the device.

I'm using Xposed with phh superuser without problems.
After you install phh superuser, let the phone boot to the OS and then install xposed in twrp.