Safest, Easiest And Computerless Way To Change From 7.00.66.00 China Stable To A Dev Xiaomi.eu

Athis

Members
Mar 13, 2016
So, that's basically my issue right now. Got from a seller a RN2 with a third-party ROM, 7.00.66.00 China stable. And I wanna go to a xiaomi.eu developer ROM (it doesn't matter which one, cause with the dev ROM on the phone it's fairly easy to update).

What I wanna do it's to successfully install a dev Xiaomi.eu ROM easy and safe, and all by phone ideally (at best I can manage to do root, or TWRP fastboot install and if necessary fastboot ROM install, but from a Windows Vista computer).

I'm not used to ROM changing and such, so not familiar with adb tools and fastboot methods, and I've seen no clear evidence that things will go well doing this on windows Vista computer (most tutorials refer to W7 or above...).

From what I've read thus far, it seems I have still a few options to try, and would like to hear feedback and your expertise opinion on those options and if you know a better method to help me guide through that one.

- Can I just try to install a 5.9.xx dev Xiaomi.eu ROM from mirecovery (and do wipes on data and cache)? Before october I know it was possible to update Xiaomi.eu ROMs through update/mirecovery. Also, I know I would be downgrading (7.0.6.0 it is from late october)...

- 6.2.25 xiaomi.eu has TWRP included, would be possible to install this one from mirecovery/update app? Or I may get a signature fail and not be able to do it?

- what if I rooted (just for the purpose of installing TWRP through update/mirecovery) using RootGenius or KingoRoot (if needed from the Vista computer), install TWRP and change the boot order to boot from mirecovery (and thus not "deleting" mirecovery, just in case). And then with TWRP just install the Xiaomi.eu dev ROM (what wipes to do then? Data, cache and system? I may as well do a backup first from this third-party ROM then...)

- install an oficial dev China ROM, that has root access, from november (so I don't get bootloader locked...) and the install TWRP, and then install a Xiaomi.eu dev ROM.

Just to be clear. I just wanna get to a Xiaomi.eu ROM, it doesn't matter if it's from september, october or whatever. The final one, I was hopping to be able to use 5.11.26 or at most 6.1.21, except it installing 6.2.25 that comes with TWRP works out of the bat.

Can anyone help to make the best decision considering all the constraints I have?

Greatly appreciated in advance any feedback on this.

Please, just be patient with me, I've read most tutorials, I just don't have access to everything needed on those methods, so i'm just trying to do this all by phone (if Rooting is needed from computer, I may do that though) and without getting much trouble and a bricked phone :p

If you cant flash the rom using mirecovery then you need to flash twrp. To install twrp you can use flashable zip if you won't use pc but if the twrp zip won't install mirecovery then you have to install it via fastboot using pc. After you install twrp just reboot to recovery first to delete/rename file "/system/recovery-from-boot.p", if not deleted the mirecovery will reinstall after you boot to miui. You can flash su, rom, etc using twrp.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Athis
I'm thinking about trying the methods I've said above later today. Will start with the 1st one, if failed, I'll go for the 3rd one, then 2nd and at last the 4th... Hope one of then works and all goes smoothly. If one of them works I'll share the process here.

Any advice or sugestion?

Would you do any diferent in my situation?

Any reason why I should be worried to go for the fastboot methods over the ones I mentioned?

I think you should try every methods avaliable, because every device has different configuration, although has same type. As example my friend has redmi note 2 can flash twrp via mirecovery but when i tried the same zip can't install via mirecovery so I tried via fastboot. When i first try flash via fastboot i did it several times because every time i reboot my twrp is missing until i read the solution from someone's post to delete the file "/system/recovery-from-boot.p"

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Meanwhile, yesterday I've tried some of the methods above and while searching for more info I eventually managed to successfully change to the desired ROM.
So time to share what I've tried and what happened and the leave you a solution that may result in similar situations.

---***********************---
Changing third-party ROM 7.00.66.00 (based on the oficial china stable with playstore and languages package) to a developer/beta xiaomi.eu ROM without fastboot methods

Started by preparing everything I could need to try all the methods I knew about and that I found tutorials about.

- On a computer, downloaded and installed adb tools and fastboot, Root Genius and Mi phone manager/Mi PC Suite.

-On phone, Activated USB debugging. Went to settings>about phone>tap 7 times on Miui version to enable developer mode. Then went to settings>adicional settings>storage and enable USB debugging.

-On phone, downloaded 3 ROM zips (5.9.24, 5.11.26 both by xiaom.eu and the 5.12.24 oficial china developer). Downloaded zip for TWRP 3.0.0-0 and image file as well. Downloaded flashify as well. I've copied all those files to phone root and to an microSD card (external storage). Importante to use a relyable card, just in case, btw...

So, started with the easy and painless methods. Trying to install both developer Xiaomi.eu ROMs through update app/mirecovery.

- renamed 5.9.24 zip on phone root to "update.zip". Went to update app and select file, selected the update zip. Phone shuts down and boot from mirecovery and the process intiates. At 5% or so of progress it jumps to 99% and it generates an error "signature error" as I was already expecting. Rebooted to system.

- once again in system, renamed the 5.9.24 zip file back to its original name, and renamed 5.11.26 zip to " update.zip". Repeated the process above and the outcome was the same as described above, as expected. Rebooted to system.

- renamed back the 5.11.26 zip file to its original name. Renamed TWRP zip file to "update.zip". Same process as above for the ROMs. The outcome was the same as I was also expecting. But had to try it either way. Rebooted to system again.

With those fails (expected) for the easy methods, I decided to try to root the phone (had 2 options, KingoRoot and Root Genius, although as I will state later, Root Genius rooting process installs Kingo Root on phone, and also a chinese app, not sure for what's for).

- conected phone to computer using the original USB cable. Opened Root Genius programa on computer and waited to the phone to be recognized. Once done, just click " root now" button. Wait, and once finished the phone is rooted and KingoRoot app will appear in the phone to manage root acess permitions.

With Root done, I went to try to flash TWRP through flashify.

- first you need to give flashify root acess through KingoRoot app. Then, open flashify and select the option to flash image. Then you would need to select the TWRP image file (.img) and flash it. The process just takes some seconds (it's very fast) and once done it will reboot your phone to recovery. If everything went well, you'll be at the TWRP recovery inicial screen. You need to swipe to allow modifications on system. Then, I decided to reboot to system and shut down phone and restart it to recovery mode to see if mirecovery would replace TWRP. And no signs of mirecovery. Everything went great thus far with this method.

With TWRP 3.0.0-0 installed and with the desired final ROM on the microSD card it was time to install it. As I wanted a clean install, I've ignored the "update" process that would have probably worked, I suspect.

- So as I had restarted to TWRP recovery, just in case, I decided to do a backup for the third-party ROM to microSD card just in case something would go wrong, bit first did wipes for cache and Dalvik cache only. Did the backup through TWRP. Once done. Went to initial TWRP menu to proceed to desired ROM installation.

- As said above, I wanted to do a clean install, so I selected the wipe option>advanced wipes>select all wipes, except external storage (microSD card). Then swipe to wipe.

- Once wipes are done, you have nothing on your phone so just go back to TWRP initial menu. Select install to install a .zip file, then if not preselected as external storage/microSD, tap on select storage and select it. Then just find the zip file of the ROM I wanted to install, and select it. Then swipe to install. The process will start, be patient. If you don't have "skip md5 file verification" or something like this selected, an error will occur "md5 file: not found" during process, but don't worry cause the installation process will continue anyways.

- Once done, just go back to TWRP initial menu and select wipes>advanced wipes and select to wipe only cache and Dalvik cache and reboot to system. And voila, the ROM was installed successfully.

So, long story short. If you got a RN2 phone with that sellers weird ROM (7.00.66.00 based on the oficial china stable) just do those steps (it's not hard to look for tutorials for each step of the process in the web and in this fórum):

- Root your phone using Root Genius (through computer) or just KingoRoot app on phone

- download TWRP image file. Download desired ROM zip file. Download flashify app. Put ROM on external storage/microSD card (you can do the same to TWRP image just in case)

- Flash TWRP image with flashify (you need to give root acess to flashify first through KingoRoot)

- On recovery mode through TWRP, do wipes at everything but external storage/microSD card. This will clean the phone. Best not to reboot phone after this.

- still on TWRP recovery, select install, to install the zip file of the ROM you want. Select the zip file that ypu have on your microSD card memory. Ignore of you get the md5 file not found error during ROM installation process.

- Once, done, proceed to wipe cache and Dalvik cache and reboot to system.

And you are free of that weird and bugged ROM and using now a Xiaomi.eu developer ROM. Enjoy.

Note: the trick for me was flashify app. It was awesome to flash TWRP. No need to do anything by fastboot methods and you can manage (by rooting phone through KingoRoot app) to do it all this process through phone.
Thanks for all of those that have helped me along the way.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Meanwhile, yesterday I've tried some of the methods above and while searching for more info I eventually managed to successfully change to the desired ROM.
So time to share what I've tried and what happened and the leave you a solution that may result in similar situations.

Changing third-party ROM 7.00.66.00 (based on the oficial china stable with playstore and languages package) to a developer/beta xiaomi.eu ROM without fastboot methods

Started by preparing everything I could need to try all the methods I knew about and that I found tutorials about.

- On a computer, downloaded and installed adb tools and fastboot, Root Genius and Mi phone manager/Mi PC Suite.

-On phone, Activated USB debugging. Went to settings>about phone>tap 7 times on Miui version to enable developer mode. Then went to settings>adicional settings>storage and enable USB debugging.

-On phone, downloaded 3 ROM zips (5.9.24, 5.11.26 both by xiaom.eu and the 5.12.24 oficial china developer). Downloaded zip for TWRP 3.0.0-0 and image file as well. Downloaded flashify as well. I've copied all those files to phone root and to an microSD card (external storage). Importante to use a relyable card, just in case, btw...

So, started with the easy and painless methods. Trying to install both developer Xiaomi.eu ROMs through update app/mirecovery.

- renamed 5.9.24 zip on phone root to "update.zip". Went to update app and select file, selected the update zip. Phone shuts down and boot from mirecovery and the process intiates. At 5% or so of progress it jumps to 99% and it generates an error "signature error" as I was already expecting. Rebooted to system.

- once again in system, renamed the 5.9.24 zip file back to its original name, and renamed 5.11.26 zip to " update.zip". Repeated the process above and the outcome was the same as described above, as expected. Rebooted to system.

- renamed back the 5.11.26 zip file to its original name. Renamed TWRP zip file to "update.zip". Same process as above for the ROMs. The outcome was the same as I was also expecting. But had to try it either way. Rebooted to system again.

With those fails (expected) for the easy methods, I decided to try to root the phone (had 2 options, KingoRoot and Root Genius, although as I will state later, Root Genius rooting process installs Kingo Root on phone, and also a chinese app, not sure for what's for).

- conected phone to computer using the original USB cable. Opened Root Genius programa on computer and waited to the phone to be recognized. Once done, just click " root now" button. Wait, and once finished the phone is rooted and KingoRoot app will appear in the phone to manage root acess permitions.

With Root done, I went to try to flash TWRP through flashify.

- first you need to give flashify root acess through KingoRoot app. Then, open flashify and select the option to flash image. Then you would need to select the TWRP image file (.img) and flash it. The process just takes some seconds (it's very fast) and once done it will reboot your phone to recovery. If everything went well, you'll be at the TWRP recovery inicial screen. You need to swipe to allow modifications on system. Then, I decided to reboot to system and shut down phone and restart it to recovery mode to see if mirecovery would replace TWRP. And no signs of mirecovery. Everything went great thus far with this method.

With TWRP 3.0.0-0 installed and with the desired final ROM on the microSD card it was time to install it. As I wanted a clean install, I've ignored the "update" process that would have probably worked, I suspect.

- So as I had restarted to TWRP recovery, just in case, I decided to do a backup for the third-party ROM to microSD card just in case something would go wrong, bit first did wipes for cache and Dalvik cache only. Did the backup through TWRP. Once done. Went to initial TWRP menu to proceed to desired ROM installation.

- As said above, I wanted to do a clean install, so I selected the wipe option>advanced wipes>select all wipes, except external storage (microSD card). Then swipe to wipe.

- Once wipes are done, you have nothing on your phone so just go back to TWRP initial menu. Select install to install a .zip file, then if not preselected as external storage/microSD, tap on select storage and select it. Then just find the zip file of the ROM I wanted to install, and select it. Then swipe to install. The process will start, be patient. If you don't have "skip md5 file verification" or something like this selected, an error will occur "md5 file: not found" during process, but don't worry cause the installation process will continue anyways.

- Once done, just go back to TWRP initial menu and select wipes>advanced wipes and select to wipe only cache and Dalvik cache and reboot to system. And voila, the ROM was installed successfully.

So, long story short. If you got a RN2 phone with that sellers weird ROM (7.00.66.00 based on the oficial china stable) just do those steps (it's not hard to look for tutorials for each step of the process in the web and in this fórum):

- Root your phone using Root Genius (through computer) or just KingoRoot app on phone

- download TWRP image file. Download desired ROM zip file. Download flashify app. Put ROM on external storage/microSD card (you can do the same to TWRP image just in case)

- Flash TWRP image with flashify (you need to give root acess to flashify first through KingoRoot)

- On recovery mode through TWRP, do wipes at everything but external storage/microSD card. This will clean the phone. Best not to reboot phone after this.

- still on TWRP recovery, select install, to install the zip file of the ROM you want. Select the zip file that ypu have on your microSD card memory. Ignore of you get the md5 file not found error during ROM installation process.

- Once, done, proceed to wipe cache and Dalvik cache and reboot to system.

And you are free of that weird and bugged ROM and using now a Xiaomi.eu developer ROM. Enjoy.

Note: the trick for me was flashify app. It was awesome to flash TWRP. No need to do anything by fastboot methods and you can manage (by rooting phone through KingoRoot app) to do it all this process through phone.
Thanks for all of those that have helped me along the way.
Thanks you for your time to write the tutorial. Maybe you should create new thread for your tutorial so the others will easily find the solution.

Not a bad idea. I may need some time cause it would be better to add links and maybe some pics so it will be easier to follow. I'll try to do that once I get some time. Btw, thanks a lot for your help. :)

Reactions: acestars
Not a bad idea. I may need some time cause it would be better to add links and maybe some pics so it will be easier to follow. I'll try to do that once I get some time. Btw, thanks a lot for your help. :)
No problems