Resolved [SGS2][2.4.20] Restore of Backup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I made a backup with the pre-installed MIUI backup app when I was on 2.4.14 build. After flashing to 2.4.20 I'm not able to restore the mentioned backup. The phone restarts middle of the restore process. I have tried couple of times now and also tried to skip the app that was restoring when the reboots happened, without luck. Later I restored back to 2.4.14 and then I was able to restore the same backup. Strange thing, I know it have been done a modification of the backup app between those two last builds. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

And one more thing; When I was on 2.4.20 and before I started the restore process I could see that favorite phrases in the SMS was translated to English. But after partly restoring the backup it all went back to Chinese? That cant be right!

Yeah, I also checked the M5 sum of the downloaded file and re-flashed 2.4.20 three times with wipe/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe of Dalvik cache.

Feb 11, 2012
Yeah, it might be possible. But it doesn't explain why it worked on 2.4.14 and not on 2.4.20. First time I'm experiencing this, otherwise it's quite stable.

However, I reflashed without datawipe so I didn't have to use restore :)

Mish

MIUI Android Staff
Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys,

I made a backup with the pre-installed MIUI backup app when I was on 2.4.14 build. After flashing to 2.4.20 I'm not able to restore the mentioned backup. The phone restarts middle of the restore process. I have tried couple of times now and also tried to skip the app that was restoring when the reboots happened, without luck. Later I restored back to 2.4.14 and then I was able to restore the same backup. Strange thing, I know it have been done a modification of the backup app between those two last builds. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

And one more thing; When I was on 2.4.20 and before I started the restore process I could see that favorite phrases in the SMS was translated to English. But after partly restoring the backup it all went back to Chinese? That cant be right!

Yeah, I also checked the M5 sum of the downloaded file and re-flashed 2.4.20 three times with wipe/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe of Dalvik cache.
I had same issue with my backups on i9100 MIUI 2.4.20 at first boot (and other random soft reboots), I fixed it just rebooting the phone.

For SMS phrases same here, it's because restoring SMS datas we overwrite cached file from folder raw-en into the Mms.apk, where translated phrases are stored. Try to delete apk data from Settings --> Apps --> Messaging --> Clear data, then you should have english phrases again.

Feb 11, 2012
I backed up these in 2.4.13. Contacts, Call Logs, Messages, System Settings, Wi-Fi Settings, Desktop layout, Alarm settings, Notes, DND settings.

I successfully restored it in 2.4.20. Try the above.
Yeah, actually those system apps were restored fine, soft reboots occurred when it started to restore apps. However I found a way round :)

Feb 11, 2012
I had same issue with my backups on i9100 MIUI 2.4.20 at first boot (and other random soft reboots), I fixed it just rebooting the phone.

For SMS phrases same here, it's because restoring SMS datas we overwrite cached file from folder raw-en into the Mms.apk, where translated phrases are stored. Try to delete apk data from Settings --> Apps --> Messaging --> Clear data, then you should have english phrases again.
Thanks, mate! The trick worked well :)

Apr 22, 2012
Hey guys,

DOWNLOAD 2.4.20 FROM MIUI SCOTLAND . My sg2 had the same problem and i reverted back to 2.4.13 then tried scotland one. works a treat and is fast but my benchmark score went down.....not sure why, anyway i might need to flash a new kernel

Feb 11, 2012
You could share your "way round" so other people with the same issue can use it to resolve theirs.
My bad!!

Option 1: Coming from a different rom:
- Make a data wipe, wipe cache and Dalvik cache. Flash 2.4.14
- Reboot. Setup your phone and restore if you have previous MIUI backup.
- Reboot into recovery. Flash 2.4.20. Wipe Dalvik cache. Reboot

Option 2: Coming from 2.4.14
- Make a backup.
- Reboot to recovery, flash 2.4.20 and wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Reboot.

Normally I keep to option 1, even if I come from a previous build of MIUI.

Feb 11, 2012
DOWNLOAD 2.4.20 FROM MIUI SCOTLAND . My sg2 had the same problem and i reverted back to 2.4.13 then tried scotland one. works a treat and is fast but my benchmark score went down.....not sure why, anyway i might need to flash a new kernel
Dude, I think MIUI Scotland is banned in these forums :p However I'm finding MIUI Android more stable then Scotland.

Right now I'm enjoying my combo combination of MIUI scotland and ICS F1. Siyah is awsome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.