*SOLVED* MI8 twrp stuck at logo, can't update

maikK

Members
Jan 26, 2014
Hello,
i'm not sure if i did something uncorrectly, i hope someone can shed some light and help me fix this!

I've updated from the custom rom MIUI 10.5 to the first version of custom MIUI 11 when it was made available. The update also contained the android update and i applied it normally by installing the .ZIP via twrp

Now the phone works fine and all, but i can't access twrp anymore, it gets stuck on "teamwin" logo and i tried to flash a new version with adb (but i'm not really sure if you can flash over a a new version like that?)
Adb doesn't let me flash it because it says "waiting for device", which could mean that the pc isn't seeing the phone, but the adb reboot commands work just fine, so they are comunicating. I also have the drivers installed so it should be ok.

this is the version of twrp i have installed "recovery-TWRP-3.2.2-0711-XIAOMI8-CN-wzsx150.img"
It all worked perfectly fine until i updated to MIUI 11

How do i fix this?
Is there a way to hard reset the phone without using twrp? Or better, is there a way to fix this without wiping the phone?

Thank you

*UPDATE*
SOLVED!

I changed USB port (i was using one on the front of the PC case, i switched to one in the back, the ones directly on the motherboard) and it flashed the new recovery no problem and with the new twrp flashed i could access it and update regularly.

Last edited:
Hello,
i'm not sure if i did something uncorrectly, i hope someone can shed some light and help me fix this!

I've updated from the custom rom MIUI 10.5 to the first version of custom MIUI 11 when it was made available. The update also contained the android update and i applied it normally by installing the .ZIP via twrp

Now the phone works fine and all, but i can't access twrp anymore, it gets stuck on "teamwin" logo and i tried to flash a new version with adb (but i'm not really sure if you can flash over a a new version like that?)
Adb doesn't let me flash it because it says "waiting for device", which could mean that the pc isn't seeing the phone, but the adb reboot commands work just fine, so they are comunicating. I also have the drivers installed so it should be ok.

this is the version of twrp i have installed "recovery-TWRP-3.2.2-0711-XIAOMI8-CN-wzsx150.img"

How do i fix this?
Is there a way to hard reset the phone without using twrp? Or better, is there a way to fix this without wiping the phone?

Thank you
put the new twrp img into your phone memory and install it from actual twrp:
-install/install image (select new img file)/select position (recovery) and slide right.

put the new twrp img into your phone memory and install it from actual twrp:
-install/install image (select new img file)/select position (recovery) and slide right.
He can't enter twrp - stuck on teamwin logo.

Hello,

How do i fix this?

Thank you
You are trying to install twrp from fastboot mode right?

You are trying to install twrp from fastboot mode right?
yes, this is what i did:

adb reboot fastboot (and it reboots it no problem)
then
fastboot flash recovery "name" (and nothing happens)

also, one thing i forgot to add
when i input the adb devices command the first time, it gave me the accept prompt on the phone but if i input it a second time it just opens and closes the command prompt really fast, so i can't see what's happening, if it shows the device id or not...

Plus, is usb debugging enabled?

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk
yes it's enabled
edit: i enabled both of the USB debugging options

yes, this is what i did:

adb reboot fastboot (and it reboots it no problem)
then
fastboot flash recovery "name" (and nothing happens)

also, one thing i forgot to add
when i input the adb devices command the first time, it gave me the accept prompt on the phone but if i input it a second time it just opens and closes the command prompt really fast, so i can't see what's happening, if it shows the device id or not...

yes it's enabled
edit: i enabled both of the USB debugging options
But you are aware, you actually have to be in Fastboot mode in order to flash?

But you are aware, you actually have to be in Fastboot mode in order to flash?

yes.... my previous comment meant i entered fastboot via adb and then i input the flash command, but it didn't do anything

yes.... my previous comment meant i entered fastboot via adb and then i input the flash command, but it didn't do anything
Hmm, I've read usb 3 ports and AMD Cpu devices could cause issues, did you try another USB port?

Hello,
Yes you can flash a new version of twrp over an existing one.
I would suggest using the official one from https://twrp.me/Devices/Xiaomi/
once you are in fastboot:
fastboot flash recovery <name.img>

If this fails to boot into twrp, try
fastboot boot <name.img> (no flash in this coommand)
this should try to reboot the device into twrp directly and from there you should be able to reboot to recovery again as this is is not a permanent twrp.

please post a screenshot or the text from cmd or terminal of the result of: fastboot flash recovery <name.img>
normally there should be about 4 lines.

Last resort: flash official rom via mi-flash (without locking bootloader) and restart the process of installing xiaomi.eu rom with flashing twrp - this is destructive as all will be wiped from the phone

Hmm, I've read usb 3 ports and AMD Cpu devices could cause issues, did you try another USB port?

mmmh, interesting... i have an AMD cpu in fact. I'll try another port and let you know, i didn't think of that, thanks

SOLVED!

I changed USB port (i was using one on the front of the PC case, i switched to one in the back, the ones directly on the motherboard) and it flashed the new recovery no problem and with the new twrp flashed i could access it and update regularly.

Thanks everyone for your help!

SOLVED!

You're welcome mate :)

SOLVED!

Can you help me? I have a mi 8 pro (UD) global and i'm trying to install TWRP, but after reboot on recovery show the logo, then reboot again into recovery but be stuck onTWRP logo. I've unlocked my phone today

Can you help me? I have a mi 8 pro (UD) global and i'm trying to install TWRP, but after reboot on recovery show the logo, then reboot again into recovery but be stuck onTWRP logo. I've unlocked my phone today

Did you install a rom from xiaomi.eu already? Then you have to format data not wipe in twrp menu.

Did you install a rom from xiaomi.eu already? Then you have to format data not wipe in twrp menu.

No, I didnt't format data. I don't have TWRP installed, I don't know how to install properly.

Adding more info, my phone is at 11.0.9.0 global Android 10. Do you know the right steps to install and the right TWRP that I should install?

I'm noob, but too much time ago when I had a Motorola phone, some TWRP version doesn't work properly on some Androids version.

No, I didnt't format data. I don't have TWRP installed, I don't know how to install properly.

Adding more info, my phone is at 11.0.9.0 global Android 10. Do you know the right steps to install and the right TWRP that I should install?

I'm noob, but too much time ago when I had a Motorola phone, some TWRP version doesn't work properly on some Androids version.

Hi it is described on the first page "weekly rom"

As example:

Installation:

Xiaomi devices:

• Install TWRP via Fastboot mode, then install our ROM
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img
  • TWRP Recovery Zip DOWNLOAD or TWRP.ME
  • For ROOT install Magisk (may cause lags and fingerprint issue) in TWRP and reboot one more time after install to get rid of system lags
And in this MI8 topic you can read which TWRP version the other user have installed.

After installing TWRP, make a backup. In TWRP format data answer with yes. Then install the new rom.

Try it at the beginning it looks difficult, but it is easy. If you have questions, ask the forum.

Happy sunday :)

Hi it is described on the first page "weekly rom"

As example:

Installation:

Xiaomi devices:

• Install TWRP via Fastboot mode, then install our ROM
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img
  • TWRP Recovery Zip DOWNLOAD or TWRP.ME
  • For ROOT install Magisk (may cause lags and fingerprint issue) in TWRP and reboot one more time after install to get rid of system lags
And in this MI8 topic you can read which TWRP version the other user have installed.

After installing TWRP, make a backup. In TWRP format data answer with yes. Then install the new rom.

Try it at the beginning it looks difficult, but it is easy. If you have questions, ask the forum.

Happy sunday :)

Thank you, I've already tried install this TWRP, but without success.

I will search in this mi8 topic if someone did this and shared how did.

I used to do this with some frequency when I used Motorola phone, but xiaomi has too many other restrictions to follow and take care