Stable Rom Vs. Weeklies

cristi3

Members
Jan 28, 2016
Hello guys,

My Redmi Note 3 16GB/2GB just arrived and so far it's quite ok, I'm pleased with the phone overall.
My question is related to the multitude of custom ROMs vs. the original stable (multilanguage) that's currenly installed on the phone.

What would be the benefits of changing the current ROM (miui 7.0.x) with latest weekly (from http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/6-1-21.29600/ ) ? If I understood the procedure correctly, it's a very long and complicated procedure: first flash the Chinese ROM, then bootloader unlock, then root + TWRP and finally flash the weekly ROM...
In what ways are the weeklies superior ? Are they based on a higher Android version ?

Another question: If I were to install the stable ROM from the same page mentioned above, which I see it's miui 7.1.x (so an upgrade from my current 7.0.x), do I have to follow the same tedious procedure or can I simply copy it on the phone and apply it with Updater app ?

Thank you, I appreciate you taking time to answer my noob questions.

Hey, do you have Google Services right now? xiomi.eu ROM provides them + language support - this is what I know/need/use. Well, and removes Chinese Software one cannot use in Europe.

Just curious because I want to buy it myself. Is it the version with Snapdragon? Why just "overall"? :)

I currently have Play Store, not sure how to test for Google Services or if I need something else. I can install my frequently used apps from Play Store. It has a lot of languages, including my native Romanian. The translations are so-so and for now I stick with English. There are few Chinese apps like Mi Music player from quick toggles pane and also Mi Browser which I would like to get rid of, apparently I can't do that but it doesn't bother me that much.

I don't have the Redmi Note 3 Pro version (with Snapdragon) but the standard one with MTK Helio X10 which works very good. From hardware point of view it's a great phone, I said "overall" because of mixed feelings I have with its software. Probably after I while I'll get used to MIUI or maybe CM guys will accept the petition and prepare CM13 for it, with all features working properly of course.

I'm still waiting for an answer regarding the weekly builds and the procedure to install latest Stable ROM.

I see. xiaomi.eu also has Mi Music and some other Mi apps. Also weekly will give you root.

Regarding the "complicated procedure". If you are very careful and follow instructions exactly it is easy. You should be also very patient. It takes a bit of time till the phone boots for the first time after flashing.

Recently I have flashed the weekly on my brand new Mi 4c. It was supposed to have a locked bootloader but it either had not or I was able to surpass it. Anyways, I currently have a clean software and everything works.

I did exactly the following:

http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi4c-new-user-please-help.29471/#post-268787

Note, I have used this TWRP: http://en.miui.com/thread-211710-1-1.html

And of course you should not install the ROM for Mi 4c. You should find the one for your device!

Also note that I do not take any responsibility if something happens to your device :) But please share your experience if you flash it.

Thank you very much for the guide, I'll look for the ROM compatible with my device of course. It seems only those with latest stable ROM have the bootloader locked, while the others got away without it ;)

So now after you installed the weekly, what's the difference between this and what I have (stable with the same Chinese apps, Google Play + languages), except root ? If it's only about root perhaps there's a method to gain it on current stable ROM as well...

Hm... I do not know of any other difference. So to summarize, weekly ROM provides the following:

1. You will not see any software with Chinese symbols.
2. You will still have some Mi apps like Mi Music, Mi Browser etc.
3. You will be able to have full fledged Google experience (Play Store and Google apps like Gmail, Youtube, Calendar etc.)
4. You will have root.
5. You will be able to update to the next weekly through an Updater app. (Although once everything works I would rather stick to it for some time :) )

Also, the Weekly is the most up-to-date ROM. You said you have miui 7.0. As I can see there is already 7.1 version available. You should check in the Changelog if you need these improvements / fixes.

That's pretty much it, as I know it.

May I ask where have you bought your Redmi Note 3? :)

Thanks for the explanations.
I bought it from gearbest at a good price but you have to be prepared to wait 3-4 weeks for it, even if you order it from EU warehouse... I really don't know why it takes so long (at least that's how much it took to deliver in Romania) but on the plus side, you don't pay any customs fee/VAT if you're from within EU (maybe German considering your username? :) ).

Thanks for the explanations.
I bought it from gearbest at a good price but you have to be prepared to wait 3-4 weeks for it, even if you order it from EU warehouse... I really don't know why it takes so long (at least that's how much it took to deliver in Romania) but on the plus side, you don't pay any customs fee/VAT if you're from within EU (maybe German considering your username? :) ).
Hello, you should check more your phone, I'm also from Romania, and also bought from Gearbest...your rom is not an oficial MIUI rom is a custom one from Gearbest full of bugs and spamware/adware ...in your place I would not use it with anything sensible if you understand me...your rom ca not make any update whatsoever...it will always say is up to date...so in your place will look here or on miui site for solution like me...

Can you help me with the solution you found ? Maybe if you have an email address or FB to talk easily if you have a little time to spare. Thanks in advance ;)

So can this be installed or not just yet ? If so, can I install it over current gearbest ROM ? Can you maybe put here the pre-requisits ?
Is it the same as the Stable from http://en.miui.com/download-295.html ?
Thanks.
...the one from your link is the official one ...you can flash over gearbest one...but you will not have global language...only chinese and english...and lot of chinese software which not work in Romania, especially GPS... if you read the thread from begining, the one i give, ...you will find lot of info...

Hi Sergiu, any news regarding this Loxar rom you mentioned last week ? Can you share some pros/cons about it ?
Also, can this rom be installed with SP Flash on top of existing (gearbest) rom and without having unlocked the bootloader ?

Thanks ;)

I want to install 7.1.6.0 Stable Xiaomi.eu.
1. Are there any known bugs, such as fingerprint not working?
2. Will I be able to update without having to erase all data?
3. I heard that the developer ROM has an update app that allows the update procedure mentioned at 2. Is this available on the stable ROM?
Thank you!

Hey guys

I ordered a Redmi Note 3 from Gearbest and I think the rom they flashed screwed my phone as once I turned it on after a few minutes it became hard bricked.

Does anyone know what ROM Gearbest flashes from the European Warehouse for the Redmi Note 3?

I am so angry that I ordered a brand new phone and it came badly flashed and hard bricked!

Thanks for your help in advance!

As you can see from the attached, the error I keep getting is the 4032. I've tried flashing different ROM's, using different versions of SP flash tool (tried 1516, 1532 and 1548) but the error I keep getting is the same. From the screenshot I am trying 'Download Only', but I've also tried 'Firmware Upgrade' and 'Format All + Download'.

I've tried on 2 different computers - both running Win7. I've installed the drivers many times (from various different zip/exe files), by following the uninstall through USBDeview and reinstalling (also tried adding legacy hardware on Device Manager). My PC recognises the phone as a MTK USB Port (and not as Preloader USB VCOM or DA USB as I've seen in other situations - could this be the issue?)

Once plugged to USB, if I don't do anything it automatically connects and disconnects, non-stop (keep hearing the connect/disconnect sound on Windows).

Let me know if you have any ideas for this!

Attachments

• DRAM.jpg
    DRAM.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 432
Hey guys

So once again I keep having problems with trying to flash the phone as I keep getting ENABLE DRAM FAILED. Yesterday I was looking closely at my Device Manager in Windows 7 and only once in a while would I get under the Com Drivers DA USB VCOM Port showing up (Only in Device Manager)

So then I started looking at SPFlash Tools and I used Version 1516, 1520 and 1532

But as you can see in the picture below

http://imgur.com/KaDIqVp

In the bottom right corner I only having showing up MTK USB Port no matter what I do, and even when under device manager in windows DA USB VCOM Port would show, i would still get the same error.

I have read and seen that for the flashing to work in the bottom right it has to say DA USB VCOM Port

like this picture

http://imgur.com/ES4fgMk

But I can never get it to work!

Can anyone help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have installed all the drivers:

VCOM Driver MTK v1.0.14.exe

I have added the drivers manually with windows 7 by using device manager and "add legacy hardware"

I have removed all previous drivers and tried this many times.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Hi I am lost with those two different rom :
Is there a reason that stable has a number higher than dev one ? Actually I'm under stable 7.1.6 and dev seems to be 6.1.21....

I encounter poor battery life for a 4000mah battery phone (between 3 to 5h sot) and I'm looking for testing dev rom, but I'm quite lazy with flashing too many times my phone. I leave him for one week or two with stable rom to calibrate battery.
I have two sims in use, good network area and the worth is that I'm completely new in miui and settings are not well set I suppose.

My phone is under 7.1.6 with unlocked bootloader but without twrp, do you think the ota of next release will be applyable or have I to flash twrp before ?

Thanks very much.

Yoh from France.