Third Party Launcher + Gestures

xanthos84

Members
Sep 2, 2021
Hi everyone,
trying on Xiaomi.eu MIUI 12.5 to enable Microsoft Launcher with Gestures instead of the 3 Bar Bottom Navigation.
Installed "MyGestures" App - which enables gestures - fine.
But still having the 3 buttons bar on the bottom.

Have tried FNG which is recommended by many people, but it only hides the 3 bar bottom - still having a black bar.

Some months ago (before I wiped my phone) I have enabled the gestures in the MIUI menu, and it hid the navigation bar.
But now I get the following chinese info (seems like a message to activate the default launcher, as it gets enabled after right clicking the button)
see screenshot.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any idea how to activate it without auto starting default launcher?

well for anyone with the same problem, I got a workaround which is quite embarrasing but at least it works to remove the 3-bar navigation.

You need the "LADB" application from Playstore which sadly costs some money.

Then in short:

1. Developer Options - > Wireless ADB enable
2. start LADB and connect it (you have to use dual window feature, because otherwise the port+pin will change)
you need to do this once, after setting up - it will connect next time automatically.
3. insert in LADB command line: settings put global force_fsg_nav_bar 1

It works good. But you have to do it again after a reboot.

Reactions: someuan
well for anyone with the same problem, I got a workaround which is quite embarrasing but at least it works to remove the 3-bar navigation.

Then in short:

2. start LADB and connect it (you have to use dual window feature, because otherwise the port+pin will change)
you need to do this once, after setting up - it will connect next time automatically.

thank you for the suggestion. i am on my mi 11 lite. gesture option only for system launcher after 12.5.6.0 update.

however i try run the command on ladb but failed. but on my laptop, it works.

using pear launcher + fng

adb shell settings put global force_fsg_nav_bar 1

update: i dont know what ive done. 2nd attempt using ladb was ok

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

You can try the following ADB command to force: adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

with Nova Launcher and My Gesture everything works fine

Reactions: Poney70
As an update on this as well. I was in the same boat 2 days ago... I followed the same instructions as posted above (settings put global force_fsg_nav_bar 1) and that worked for me without fault. I've also downloaded an app called Terminal Shortcut and put that command in there. I then added a shortcut to the homescreen so that when I restart the phone, I just click the shortcut and it removes the nav bar. Super easy fix works great!

I am on Mi 11 Ultra with 12.5.17 EU Rom - Unlocked Bootloader - Rooted with Magisk - Using Nova Launcher - Using Edge Gestures app (did not like FNG, and only reason to use that over Edge Gestures was that it had the ability to hide the nav bar, but i did not like that app as a whole so decided to stop using it and switch now that there is a handy new shortcut on my homescreen to remove it:)

PS. I do not have wireless debugging enabled nor use LADB as I found it to be a bit of a pain to pair the two screens with the code, but with Magisk, I have the systemlessly module (or whatever its called) installed, so with root and Terminal Shortcut, its a breeze.

Hi everyone,

You can try the following ADB command to force: adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

do you mean with this code we can have stock miui nav gestures working with 3rd party launchers ?

Just got a Mi 11 on the weekend & have been wracking my brains trying to sort this

Will try the suggestion that @Houta has given as my launcher of choice is Nova

Thank You

Hi everyone,

tried in PAD 5 . it shows the gesture bar but didnt work. the bar has no reaction

thank you for the suggestion. i am on my mi 11 lite. gesture option only for system launcher after 12.5.6.0 update.

I can confirm, for those with a Xiaomi 11T Pro trying to get rid of the navigation bar this ADB command works. Finally I'm back using Nova7 + FNG. Edge Gestures (app) also works but has a slight problem with the bottom bar, it makes the wallpaper flicker just because it tries to innitiate the Xiaomi gesture animation. I haven't restarted my phone, but I guess I'll have to use the command each time, If there's a permanent solution, please let me know.

Hi everyone,

This option also works but it only hides the navigation bar rendering unusable the bottom edge for FNG. Edge gestures (app) Kinda works but the gestures are way high (where the navigation bar usually ends). Additionally it leaves a white bar on the bottom which is annoying if your intend was to have invisible gestures.

Just to let you all know. Again tested on a Xiaomi 11T Pro Global Stock ROM (12.5.7) Locked and Unrooted

Just tried this on my Mi 11 Lite 5G NE running MIUI 13 and no luck, either with ladb or the command from my laptop. Maybe it's no longer working with MIUI 13 ?

Reactions: sajjad1365

Then in short:

Hi and thanks for this, I works like a charm.
I'm a bit sad about Xiaomi ruling over my beloved touch input and launcher like I was a3 year old.

I also used this method for changing the minimal display width, I also get's reset on every reboot. (adb shell wm density 420)

Best Regards

On what device did you get this to work ? It seems that it no longer works on MIUI 13 (and maybe even before that).

On what device did you get this to work ? It seems that it no longer works on MIUI 13 (and maybe even before that).

I'm on Mi 11 Ultra, Miui 13 with weekly from 22.04.2022

You have to follow the guide writen above by xanthos84
(You have to open Developer Options before)

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing problems regarding FNG. After one or more days it doesn't react, and I have to reboot or switch back to miui gestures.

Any suggestions to this?

Already tried giving FNG all permissions, locking the app, and made a battery optimizing excision for or it, switch it off/on.

Hi everyone,

Tried those and that are temprary solutions as every hour or so, the thing stops working and you have to disable the navigation bar again.

Anyone that has a DEFINITIVE solution to get rid of that nasty navigation bar ?

Regards.

I'm using the app "Edge gestures" since May, and it works fine..

Still, I have to use the adb "adb shell settings put global force_fsg_nav_bar 1" to get rid of the Navigation Bar on the Button.

For that, I use Ladb, so I don't have to use a PC after every reboot.