Total Beginner, Have Some Questions

sb1985

Members
Mar 21, 2017
I have the Mi4c which is currently on the latest official Miui 8 developer rom with Nougat. The phone is totally unusable, it's very slow and unresponsive, the GPS doesn't work (using Google Maps) and I constantly get Google Play errors. The main problem is with the RAM/memory, apps are very slow and close down on its own. If I receive a call it takes a while for the answer/reject icons to appear whilst the phone is ringing!

If I install this ROM, will this solve the current issues I'm having? If not, which ROM would you suggest to get my phone stable again? I'm a total beginner to this so need a foolproof guide in how to install this. I've already unlocked my phone after applying for permission from Xiaomi which was granted.

Thanks in advance

Install root & twrp recovery, backup the rom, flash 6.12.22 from here, download and install from phone updater v7.3.16, apply from unlock bootloader on en.miui.com/unlock, root again and install twrp recovery. Your phone will become faster like Enterprise spaceship.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm a bit stuck, as I'm a total beginner none of that made any sense!

How do you have Nougat on it? Did you buy it from someone? If you have Nougat your bootloader might be locked so you have to apply for unlocking, as its was previously specified by vlad, in order to change the rom.

Trimis de pe al meu Mi-4c folosind Tapatalk

When I updated it nougat was installed (dont ask me how). It was locked but I have already unlocked it after applying for it.

So it is my understanding the you have Nougat with unlocked bootloader . That is fine. In order to install another rom you'll have to install a custom recovery,Twrp. As you have Nougat, only certains versions of this recovery can be installed, 3.0.3. 0 and 3.1.0.0. You can find them on the Weekly Updates Topics. To install Twrp is relatively simple, but you need the proper set up first consisting of ADB drivers for Mi4c and Minimal ADB and Fastboot. After that u need to type in 2 commands that u can find in the same topic as the Twrp image(make sure USB debugging is on).

From here you only need the image of the desired custom rom.

It may seem laborious but it's not. All the information you need are in this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: vladpaul
Nonetheless it is wise to reset the phone if you have not done it after the update. A factory reset might just solve the problem for the moment but eventually you'll have to install a custom recovery, otherwise you can't get the latest updates.

I already tried to reset the phone but that didn't seem to help, it's still horribly laggy.

Ok lets' take things slow...
First of all you mentioned that you got unlocked bootloader which is good for the moment (You might have to unlock it again if for some reason re locks after flashing Xiaomi.eu Rom with Android 7.0)

Now into the baby steps:
  1. Disable any pattern/pin lockscreen you might have on your Mi4c.
  2. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
  3. Check if you got ADB Drivers + Fastboot installed on your PC.
    1. If not download http://bigota.d.miui.com/MiFlash/MiSetup2.2.0.7032_2717.exe and just install it, it will also install all the drivers you need.
  4. Download https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767135741 & https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120715863 & https://download.chainfire.eu/1021/SuperSU/SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip
    1. Unzip the first one only until you get the twrp.img file. The second one is the latest weekly Rom for our device and the last one is the SuperSU for root.
    2. Open a command line in that folder by pressing Shift + Right Click > Open command window here.
    3. Enter fastboot with Power + Volume Down (while the phone is powered off) - you will see the Mi Bunny logo.
    4. Connect your phone to your PC to a USB 2.0
    5. Command to check if your device is recognized: fastboot devices - if your device ID is shown proceed
    6. Command to flash the twrp recovery: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    7. Command for first boot into recovery: fastboot boot twrp.img
    8. Complete the installation by following the on screen instructions on your phone.
    9. While inside TWRP mode enter the following command:
    10. Command to transfer rom to sdcard: adb push xiaomi.eu_multi_MI4c_7.3.16_v8-7.0.zip /sdcard
    11. Command to transfer SuperSU to sdcard: adb push SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip /sdcard
  5. Flash the ROM's zip file first that you transfered, from inside TWRP menu > Install.
  6. Wipe data, dalvik & cache
  7. For root flash the according zip file with the same method as above.
  8. Welcome to Xiaomi.eu ROM & Community
If all done correctly then you'll have the latest weekly Xiaomi.eu ROM alongside with twrp 3.0.3.0 and SuperSu 2.79

Thank you for your reply. I followed the instructions and managed to get xiaomi eu rom on my phone fairly easily but once installed I kept getting Google errors to the point of my phone being even more unusable! I tried searching on here for help but didn't seem to find anything that worked. After hours of playing about and almost bricking my phone I've been able to put the official Miui 8 stable version rom on my phone and now have android 5 instead of nougat, and my phone is working loads better, just like it used to! I've learned a fair bit about putting custom roms on, but with all the Google Apps not working with the newest Android I think I'll stick to what I have now unless I run into problems again. Phone is also locked again anyway!

Reactions: iamme729
I had my fair share of errors due to Google play services. The majority of them disappeared after updating them but some remained, eg: chrome keeps crashing so I have to use another browser.

We should signal this problem as it is not an isolated case.

Glad your phone is working fine now,and after all, the difference between 5.1 and 7.0 is not big at all.

My only issue now, which I had with Miui 8 developer Rom, is that on Google maps it can't find my location to start Navigation, it just says waiting for location. Any fix for this? I had a search around and my permissions allow location access...

Set it so it can detect your location only by GPS, not by data or WiFi.