Trouble setting up my phone for updates

aordie

Members
Aug 11, 2012
Hi, sorry if this has been discussed already. I can't find a thread about this.

I've got ICS on my Samsung S2, which I got as a gift - MIUI had already been installed, but there is no update account. The version running is "International-2.5.18ST-Weekly-ROM" (MIUI-Scotland 2.5.18 with S Talk). Kind of old, I guess. Crashes a lot!

I tried setting up an account via the phone, but the captcha was a set of Chinese characters, no way to use it. So I created the account that I'm using now via my computer.

When I try to log in via MIUI updater using my "ID", the all-lower-case letters get me an "invalid character" error - so I tried my email - but it is not accepted either.

I'm stumped - don't know what to do next.

Someone in IRC suggested connecting via https://account.xiaomi.com/ for some reason - but that interface is in Chinese the Chrome's translator doesn't help that much. I ended up potentially resetting my password (so I may not be able to log back in here later), assuming there is a connection to this account here.

Is there any real solution to this?

I should mention that I'm attempting to get the latest ROM via update to avoid the process of updating via the computer. I've been looking into resetting and rooting my phone prior to this, but now I hope that updating MIUI will fix the crashes and freezes I'm having.

Hope someone can help me with this. I don't have much time to deal with it.

Update - I realized later that my version is from May, not Feb.

Finally gave up on the auto-update, in any case. Instead of upgraded from the zip. Now I'm enjoying constant reboots when I try to use the phone. LOL