TWRP always encrypted

SKAssi

Members
May 10, 2019
Hi guys I have some issues updating weekly rom. Twrp always detects data as encrypted, if I type in device code it wont decrypt. I am using official 3.4.0.0 TWRP on lavender.
Yes I know "format data" will help but restoring files after every update is kinda annoying. Had anyone else this issue and can help me?

Sorry for my bad english.

Hi guys I have some issues updating weekly rom. Twrp always detects data as encrypted, if I type in device code it wont decrypt. I am using official 3.4.0.0 TWRP on lavender.
Yes I know "format data" will help but restoring files after every update is kinda annoying. Had anyone else this issue and can help me?

Sorry for my bad english.
Try this:

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 SE utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm facing the same issue after updating to Android 10. I'll try OrangeFox (never heard of it before) and report back.

Ok, I formatted /data from within TWRP 3.4.0 and booted and left the OS to initialize it. Sadly, after reboot to recovery I got the same prompt to decrypt /data. I had to sideload Magisk to install it.
I'm running 12.0.1.0 (stable)

Ok, I've tried IceMan's TWRP build and it too asks for password. So, I thought - let's set a lock screen password (instead of pattern). I did that, waited for a while and rebooted to recovery and tried the new password - it still couldn't mount /data. :(
So, not sure what the encryption password is or how to set it...

Ok, I've tried IceMan's TWRP build and it too asks for password. So, I thought - let's set a lock screen password (instead of pattern). I did that, waited for a while and rebooted to recovery and tried the new password - it still couldn't mount /data. :(
you need to format date

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 SE utilizzando Tapatalk

Try the latest version of official Orange Fox recovery for Redmi Note 7.
If you can boot to system, should'n have encryption issue in recovery. Sometimes can get "mad" encryption (changing rom or major version change) and need to format data partition (not = wipe!), but in that case the phone can't boot to system too.
For easier backup and restore, try to remove the pin/password/fingerprint before making backup in recovery, install the rom, don't set any pin/password at first boot, restore the unencrypted backup, try to boot to system, then set the pin/password what/if you want. I don't know if this method working always, but with encryption difference between rom and backup, sure you will have problems and need to format all data partition (including internal storage).

Ok, I did some more reading, it seems the old methods of full backups from recovery are no longer recommended. I've flashed OrangeFox 11.0 and it could read my data partition without asking for an encryption password.

By the way (offtopic) - what's the preferred way of backuping and restoring apps/system settings? I used Titanium backup, but some apps are not restored correctly...

About backup...
The classic recovery backup (boot, system, vendor, data)... I experienced many times bootloop after restore, probably caused by encryption mismatch.
Most of times I can restore in this way (if the classic way don't work):
- format data partition (clear any encryption, will wipe the internal storage too!)
- flash the rom, and boot
- set same pin code what was used in backup
- go to recovery and restore only data
With titanium backup I got issues too, you can try to install the app, then use titanium backup only for restore the app data.

Hi there, I had the same problem with orange fox R11.
I roolback my recovery with fastboot with R10.1_3 and it seem to have work.
I had to draw my old pattern passcode to be able to re-enter orange fox.