TWRP / Orangefox recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse)

Hi, new Android 11 ROM version is here: xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote9ProEU_V12.0.4.0.RJZMIXM_v12-11.zip
Install it by latest OrangeFox-miatoll-stable@R11.1_1.zip , do not use TWRP!

Currently, latest Orangefox is better than the last TWRP.

Installation instructions in Czech language here: https://www.miuios.cz/navod-na-instalaci-miui-7-8-9-10-11-12-cz-sk-25645

Soon I will change the first post to be clear what needs to be done if you install a new phone.

Can you explain why there are so many warnings for twrp 3.5x?

I've tried flashing the recovery that you give me, but it still didn't work (no password asked, I go directly to the main menu).
BUT, it worked if I only push it through "fastboot boot recovery.img", as the current TWRP recovery available on this thread.

I still don't understand why if i flash my recovery, the password isn't asked, but if I push the recovery temporally, is it asked.

Turns out this is a known problem, it's described in the OF10 build notes & the OF wiki says

Orangefox Wiki said:
On Android 11 (or MIUI 12.5, or whatever) my file names are all gibberish

• Android 11 decryption is supported with respect to custom ROMs.
  • However, there are issues with MIUI ROMs based on Android 11, and with ROMs that use the new keymaster 4.1. With such ROMs, decryption may not work at all in recovery mode - but in some cases, decryption may work if you "hotboot" the recovery image (eg, "fastboot boot recovery.img").
  • This is not an OrangeFox problem, so do not ask us to "fix" the problem.

Reactions: Poney70
Think that was fixed in 11.1.1

The note was removed from the beta channel just a couple of days ago.

So does that mean 11.1.1 will decrypt partitions formatted on older / different builds? Or that it's fixed when partitions are formatted with 11.1.1+?

So does that mean 11.1.1 will decrypt partitions formatted on older / different builds? Or that it's fixed when partitions are formatted with 11.1.1+?
Reformatting isn't a requirement for using the current build, if that's what you're asking.

As for decryption, I'm still seeing a failure to decrypt secondary users, ie. dual apps or second space, but I can't think when that would be needed when in recovery mode.

And as an aside, I would suggest anyone using OrangeFox report any issues, (with logs), to the Devs for fixing.
Darthjabba has a Curtana device himself for testing, but it's still somewhat possible that Joyeuse specific issues could sneak through.

Reformatting isn't a requirement for using the current build, if that's what you're asking.

As for decryption, I'm still seeing a failure to decrypt secondary users, ie. dual apps or second space, but I can't think when that would be needed when in recovery mode.

And as an aside, I would suggest anyone using OrangeFox report any issues, (with logs), to the Devs for fixing.
Darthjabba has a Curtana device himself for testing, but it's still somewhat possible that Joyeuse specific issues could sneak through.

So the bug is either in formatting the partition, or when trying to read it. The first post has a confusing warning about decryption during format. If the bug lies there then we're going to need to format using the new recovery to be fully clear of the issue.

Hopefully I've explained my question this time :)

So the bug is either in formatting the partition, or when trying to read it. The first post has a confusing warning about decryption during format. If the bug lies there then we're going to need to format using the new recovery to be fully clear of the issue.

Hopefully I've explained my question this time :)
You made me go back to read the first note. :)

Unsure about the warnings regarding TWRP as Ive been using OrangeFox since the first beta release.
But afaik, the issue with decryption was not related to formatting, but moreso with MIUI addding keymaster 4.1 encryption, (as you've posted above), with Android 11.

I did have a quick look through the TWRP Gerrit and keymaster 4.1 support was merged in May so anyone who builds a new TWRP build should have a working recovery.

In any case, it's nothing that is fixed with reformatting.

You made me go back to read the first note. :)

Unsure about the warnings regarding TWRP as Ive been using OrangeFox since the first beta release.
But afaik, the issue with decryption was not related to formatting, but moreso with MIUI addding keymaster 4.1 encryption, (as you've posted above), with Android 11.

I did have a quick look through the TWRP Gerrit and keymaster 4.1 support was merged in May so anyone who builds a new TWRP build should have a working recovery.

In any case, it's nothing that is fixed with reformatting.

If I understand things correctly (I'd give myself odds around 60%) the reason we format data is because this removes the encryption scheme so a new one can be created. This is why wipe is not enough.

So I would imagine the partition is built and encrypted using the (keymaster?) scheme supplied by the recovery at the time. This explains why twrp needs to be rebased for new android versions (they will have changes to the encryption/keymaster)

Was the error in keymaster triggered when building the partition or did it get triggered during the decryption routine?

If I understand things correctly (I'd give myself odds around 60%) the reason we format data is because this removes the encryption scheme so a new one can be created. This is why wipe is not enough.

So I would imagine the partition is built and encrypted using the (keymaster?) scheme supplied by the recovery at the time. This explains why twrp needs to be rebased for new android versions (they will have changes to the encryption/keymaster)

Was the error in keymaster triggered when building the partition or did it get triggered during the decryption routine?
Ahhhh I see where you are coming from now.

The first paragraph of this link may help to provide some clarity.

Ahhhh I see where you are coming from now.

The first paragraph of this link may help to provide some clarity.
Thanks, I'd combed the wiki previously but always good to refresh! So I suppose the fact it's just recovery environments suffering from this the fault lies in their decryption routine. The fact fastboot boot is a stable workaround still boggles me, but I think that's far enough down this rabbithole for now. Thanks for the help! =)

Reactions: sir_bazz
Can you explain why there are so many warnings for twrp 3.5x?
Use Orangefox recovery, do not use TWRP. Orangefox recovery is now only one fully working recovery.

E. g. For me do not worked decryption of Data partition during Formating. There are some more bugs noticed in discussions.

Reactions: Poney70
Can I squeeze any more details out of you on this?
Several people in the discussions wrote that the TWRP from MIATOLL does not work well on RN9Pro and the only fully functional recovery is Orangefox. I am also a TWRP fan and have long resisted the transition to Orangefox.

For me, the reason for switching to Orangefox was that with Android 11 ROM in TWRP, decrypting the Data slot did not work when formatting it.

Hi Good day I flashed my Redmi note 9 pro global to this file xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote9ProEU_V12.0.3.0.QJZMIXM_v12-10.zip if I want to update to xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote9ProEU_V12.0.4.0.RJZMIXM_v12-11.zip should I clean flash again?

Hi Good day I flashed my Redmi note 9 pro global to this file xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote9ProEU_V12.0.3.0.QJZMIXM_v12-10.zip if I want to update to xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote9ProEU_V12.0.4.0.RJZMIXM_v12-11.zip should I clean flash again?
Hello,

Update ROM = No clean flash needed

;)

• Love
Reactions: amehgoooo
NO, just install new ROM file in TWRP or Orangefox recovery.

Hello.. Good day. I've experienced the problem of mi scanner, it will back to home. Is this the temporary issue on the current version of the ROM?

Hello.. Good day. I've experienced the problem of mi scanner, it will back to home. Is this the temporary issue on the current version of the ROM?
Hello,

If the MIUI Scanner app is not working in the latest Stable version for your device, you can:

- Try to install this zip in TWRP to update/fix the MIUI Scanner app: TWRP_MIUI_Scanner_Xiaomi.eu_13.08.042_Installation.zip

But if the installation is failing in TWRP:

- With Magisk (root), here's a Magisk module (to install in Magisk app): MIUI-Xiaomi.eu_MIUI_Scanner_app_13.08.042-Magisk.zip

;)

• Love
Reactions: amehgoooo