Unable To Turn Off Spell Checker In Settings

• Thread starter Deleted member 128121
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 128121

MIUI is missing an on/off switch in Spell Checker settings, which is supposed to be located in the upper right corner. So the only way to turn the checker off is via adb. Pretty inconvenient.

fd39afaaee1da19bced5638a337c0181.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 2

I have the same issue on my Mi2 :(

I just found this workaround, I haven't tried it yet, but I believe it will work:
- turn on developer options
- turn on usb debugging
- on your PC downlolad and install minimal adb and fastboot ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790 )
- connect your device via usb to your PC, wait 2 minutes until adb drivers have been installed
- run the installed adb link in your start menu, a cmd window opens op
- enter: adb shell
- enter: settings put secure spell_checker_enabled 0
- close cmd, disconnect phone, spell checking is disabled

there's definitly an easy way : Keyboard and inputs metod, select google keyboard, then text correction

then check " auto correction" and show correction suggesting" ;)

there's definitly an easy way : Keyboard and inputs metod, select google keyboard, then text correction

then check " auto correction" and show correction suggesting" ;)

The issue is that this apply only if you use Google keyboard. If you use any other keyboard (e.g. I use SlideIT), Google spell checker needs to be turned off via the setting mentioned below, however apparently in some ROMs this doesn't work.

You don't need PC for that, though. Just download Terminal Emulator from Play Store, open it, type su, grant root permission and type settings put secure spell_checker_enabled 0.

Reactions: Creshaw
I'm reading now this thread. I'm searching the cleaner and lighter way to uninstall or disable the Google spell checker. Which is the best solution? Is it valid also through a terminal emulator or is it better as has said Creshaw into second post?

I'm reading now this thread. I'm searching the cleaner and lighter way to uninstall or disable the Google spell checker. Which is the best solution? Is it valid also through a terminal emulator or is it better as has said Creshaw into second post?

Both ways are with the same result - they both will process the same command. Sunbriel's method is just more straightforward. If you don't plan to play access your phone via ADB more often, I'd suggest to just install the terminal emulator.

Reactions: polve91
If you use other keyboard and will not be using Google Keyboard then you should go to All Apps and disable Google Keyboard.

Short way:
Press recent apps button / hold X and go to All (setting on the most left)

Xiaomi Mi2S with sMIUI

Reactions: teo8028 and polve91
If you use other keyboard and will not be using Google Keyboard then you should go to All Apps and disable Google Keyboard.

Short way:
Press recent apps button / hold X and go to All (setting on the most left)

Xiaomi Mi2S with sMIUI
Yes mate, it is working!
Thank you guys

Just wondering if anyone has tried this:

Settings - Additional settings - Language & input:
1. Set "Current Keyboard" to "Alfabet (QWERTY)"
2. Set "Google-keyboard" to "Alfabet (QWERTY)"
3. enjoy no more spellchecker-agony

Works perfectly for me

in google keyboard properties, under language select alfabet(qwerty). works for me. no more idiotic underlining.

I am sorry for necroing this post, but I am having the same issue although having updated to MIUI 8.2.1.0. I have done what @Creshaw are instructing but I have "permission denial: writing to settings requires: android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS when I enter the second command. Please help! Thank you!

I am sorry for necroing this post, but I am having the same issue although having updated to MIUI 8.2.1.0. I have done what @Creshaw are instructing but I have "permission denial: writing to settings requires: android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS when I enter the second command. Please help! Thank you!

I have been using this method for a long time, but now it does not work...

FIXED: You need to setup your mi account and enabled the second debugger option on developer options. (stupid thing...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kedor
I have the same issue on my Mi2 :(

I just found this workaround, I haven't tried it yet, but I believe it will work:
- turn on developer options
- turn on usb debugging
- on your PC downlolad and install minimal adb and fastboot (
- connect your device via usb to your PC, wait 2 minutes until adb drivers have been installed
- run the installed adb link in your start menu, a cmd window opens op
- enter: adb shell
- enter: settings put secure spell_checker_enabled 0
- close cmd, disconnect phone, spell checking is disabled

Thank you so much, it works like a charm. If it does work for you, try changing to another computer. I was failed a first few times but then I succeed in another laptop.

• turn on developer options
  • turn on usb debugging
  • on your PC downlolad and install minimal adb and fastboot
  • connect your device via usb to your PC, wait 2 minutes until adb drivers have been installed
  • run the installed adb link in your start menu, a cmd window opens op
  • enter: adb shell
  • enter: settings put secure spell_checker_enabled 0
  • close cmd, disconnect phone, spell checking is disabled
Thank you Creshaw, I just came to thank you for your very helpfull comment above!

Just wondering if anyone has tried this:
Settings - Additional settings - Language & input:
1. Set "Current Keyboard" to "Alfabet (QWERTY)"
2. Set "Google-keyboard" to "Alfabet (QWERTY)"
3. enjoy no more spellchecker-agony
Works perfectly for me

WORKS for me with minor adjustment: in SPELL CHECK I checked the system language (instead of having the English as before).

Hello everybody. My name is Raphaelo and I'm using Redmi Note 4, Android version 6.0 MRA58K.
I'm having the same problem (unnecessary Google auto Correct) which I cannot eliminate.
As I am using the AnySoftKeyboard, none of the above suggestions seem to work.
Not being too much of a computer expert, could anyone please asdvise me as to simple procedure to cut off the Auto Correct?
Thanks, Raphaelo.

I have finally found the solution, please watch the video carefully and do exactly as shown, it's easy and I was surprised that the app that supposedly only creates shortcuts in this case add the ability to disable system apps on miui 8.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.