Updated to 11.0.1, unable to connect to 5GHZ WiFi

piemandan

Members
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

I have a Redmi Note 7 and since the latest MIUI Global 11.0.1.0 update my 5ghz WiFi doesn't connect. I can see it, but clicking on it to connect changes nothing.

My router is set to only go up to 48 channels and everything else that is connected to 5ghz doesn't have a problem.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,
Dan.

Reactions: Mattiam2
Hi,

0 problems on same MiUi but on Chinese Rom

Redmi Note 7 Pro | Tapatalk

Did you test changing settings on Mobile or Router?

I am facing the same Wifi Problem: after updating my Redmi Mote 7 to MIUI 11.0.1 it does not connect to my Wifi any more! There were no changes to neither AP nor to the WLAN settings on the Redmi Not 7. It only connects to open Wifis which require no key and no password. I found one workaround: changing the key type from WPA2 to WPA/WPA2 on my AP router did fix the issue!
Obviously the new update MIUI 11.0.1 is a Wifi "downgrade"
@ Xiaomi team: can you please fix this in the next MIUI update for Redmi Note 7 ?
Thanks

Did you test changing settings on Mobile or Router?

The only thing I haven't changed is the key type as suggested by 'Gecko' above, but I'd rather keep everything the same as before to be honest as all my other devices work fine - as did the phone before the update.

The only thing I haven't changed is the key type as suggested by 'Gecko' above, but I'd rather keep everything the same as before to be honest as all my other devices work fine - as did the phone before the update.
Hi Piemandan, if your AP router supports a second WLAN like a "guest WLAN" you could configure a second new "guest" WLAN and change the key type to WPA/WPA2 for this one to test if your Note 7 works on this one. Then you would not change anything on your "master" WLAN. Hope this helps..

Reactions: piemandan
Hi Piemandan, if your AP router supports a second WLAN like a "guest WLAN" you could configure a second new "guest" WLAN and change the key type to WPA/WPA2 for this one to test if your Note 7 works on this one. Then you would not change anything on your "master" WLAN. Hope this helps..

Hi Gecko, that was an excellent suggestion. I've just configured the guest network as WPA/WPA2 and it works on 5GHz on the Note 7. So hopefully they can sort this bug with the next release!

Hi Piemandan, good to hear that the work around has helped now! It appeasrs to me that the new MIUI update 11.0.1. has introduced a bug / impact on the WPA2 encryption on the Note 7 (and possibly on other Redmi models as well).

Hi,

I have a Redmi Note 7 and since the latest MIUI Global 11.0.1.0 update my 5ghz WiFi doesn't connect. I can see it, but clicking on it to connect changes nothing.

My router is set to only go up to 48 channels and everything else that is connected to 5ghz doesn't have a problem.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,
Dan.

I have the same exact problem with the same exact phone.
I've roll-backed to MIUI 11 with Android 9 until they'll fix this..

We have two of the exact same phones and only upgraded to the latest patch last night and now can no longer connect to wifi on either phone. I am not sure what to do to fix this. Any idea when the Miui people might roll out a permanent fix. We rely on these phones 24/7 so not being able to connect to wifi is a big problem for us. Any help gratefully received.

Reactions: Mattiam2
We have two of the exact same phones and only upgraded to the latest patch last night and now can no longer connect to wifi on either phone. I am not sure what to do to fix this. Any idea when the Miui people might roll out a permanent fix. We rely on these phones 24/7 so not being able to connect to wifi is a big problem for us. Any help gratefully received.
Don't know. I've rollbacked to the Android 9 version until they'll fix it

Reactions: zarook
I don't remember the thread, but I've read that the problem of 5ghz connection can be solved by changing your password security type: if you're using WPA2, try to change it to WPA - or try other solutions.

I don't know how to change the password security and/or or how to do a rollback to Android 9/Miui11. Can someone help me with this if possible? Many thanks in advance....

I am not exactly sure how to do a rollback. Would anyone here be able to post a link for dummies on how to do that.?

First of all you need to have your phone rooted (check here: https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/08/...nd-root-xiaomi-redmi-note-7-pro-using-magisk/), it will void your warranty!
Then, you can flash the rom you want from xiaomi.eu that doesn't have the Anti-Rollback Protection.
I remember to you that Xiaomi.EU isn't an official website, here there are only community maintained roms.
If you want the official ones you have to go here: http://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/
Check if there is Anti Rollback protection, because if there is it will block your phone.