Updating to custom ROM from stock ROM (Mi 10 T / Pro)

Stickit

Members
Jan 16, 2021
After many hours of frustration and bootloops I found the solution for installing custom ROMs for the first time on my Mi 10 T Pro. It always involves losing your data. I am in doubt that there's a good process at the moment that'll allow you to keep your data when moving away from the stock ROM. The process goes like this:

1. Put the phone into fastboot mode. Do not install any TWRP but simply boot into it with i.e.

fastboot boot twrp.img

In my test I found a very slick looking TWRP called Pitch Black but that did not even let me boot into recovery and caused a bootloop into recovery when flashed. So again, LEAVE OUT THE FIRST STEP on the ROM release pages that says "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" for Mi 10 T/Pro.

2. When in TWRP transfer your ROM (and Magisk if you want root) from your PC to the internal storage. With the correct drivers on your PC you should be able to do a data transfer as always. Flash ROM and optionally Magisk. Do not flash DMVerity remover or any such software that you might have read about on other pages!

3. After you have successfully flashed ROM and Magisk, reboot once again into recovery, not into system.

4. You'll now find yourself in stock recovery. You'll have to do a data wipe. After that you can boot into the system of your new ROM. That's it.

You might be able to flash TWRP permanently after this but I would advise against it. Incompatible TWRP is the main source of bootloops (fastboot and recovery loops amongst them). For some reason stock recovery is the only way to correctly wipe the data partition. This might have something to do with the filesystem and/or SE Linux context but until somebody finds out a secure alternative method I for my part will not flash TWRP.

If you want to upgrade your custom ROM the next time, you should be able to do it with steps 1-3, booting into system after that.

Do I need to have an unlocked bootloader for this? And if that's the case how do I do it(I got locked out for 168h this time lol)

Do I need to have an unlocked bootloader for this? And if that's the case how do I do it(I got locked out for 168h this time lol)
Sure. If you use your mobile regularly waiting time untill unlock will shrink to 8 days.

Gesendet von meinem M2007J3SG mit Tapatalk

Sure. If you use your mobile regularly waiting time untill unlock will shrink to 8 days.

Thank you for responding! Your post definitely helped! When my waiting period is over I'll be sure to give it a go.
PS: If I'll have any more questions or get stuck in my process again can I contact you on discord or on here for future questions. Just in case something doesn't work out. It seems hard to find help for the Mi 10t pro. Thank you again!

Thank you so much for writing this guide! I've been wanting to install this ROM on my 10T but I couldn't find the proper way to do it.
I got one question, which TWRP did you use? The one that is on XDA? 3.5 beta or something like that? And last one, how is battery life? is it good?

Last edited:
I used the geanto TWRP which is linked here on Androidfilehost because it's able to decrypt data.I would definitely recommend to set a pattern on your phone. You might be able to use Pitch black TWRP but I couldn't boot into it from stock Rom in my tests.

One site suggest to add the following two steps:

In BOOTLOADER
  1. On your computer, now flash vbmeta with this command. $ fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img.
  2. Next type $ fastboot boot recovery.img to go back to recovery, we need to flash now the no-verity-opt-encrypt. When you are there, push that file to your mobile like this. $ adb push Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip /sdcard (name of the file could be different). Once that is done, go to the install section, click on the no-verity-opt-encrypt, and swipe to flash it.
Are these required to go from a stock Mi10T Pro freshly unlocked into Xiaomi.EU?

In BOOTLOADER
  1. On your computer, now flash vbmeta with this command. $ fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img.
  2. Next type $ fastboot boot recovery.img to go back to recovery, we need to flash now the no-verity-opt-encrypt. When you are there, push that file to your mobile like this. $ adb push Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip /sdcard (name of the file could be different). Once that is done, go to the install section, click on the no-verity-opt-encrypt, and swipe to flash it.
Are these required to go from a stock Mi10T Pro freshly unlocked into Xiaomi.EU?
Why do these steps? What's the vbmeta image for? And why do we need to flash the encryption disabler? As far as a I know this is not necessary, I haven't seen these steps in other guides

Last edited:
Reactions: geoorg and Poney70

In BOOTLOADER
Try it out and then write your own guide ...

What I want to achieve is a safe way to move from stock to Xiaomi.eu. If others have successfully done that move without these two steps then I'm very happy and it doesn't matter what those steps do.

Thanks very much .
I followed the instructions from #1 to install MIUI 12.5 onto my Xiaomi 10T .Everything is working great .The only small problem comes when device start saying REDMI instead of MI .

Thanks very much .
I followed the instructions from #1 to install MIUI 12.5 onto my Xiaomi 10T .Everything is working great .The only small problem comes when device start saying REDMI instead of MI .
Yup, that's because this ROM is based on the Chinese ROM and this device (Mi10T) is known in China as Redmi K30S Ultra, but don't worry it's just the boot animation, if you go back to official global ROM, you'll get the Mi logo as boot animation

Last edited:
Reactions: Poney70
Which rom did you download? I cant find 12.5 rom with MI10TPro name. Only MI10T. Is it the same? Does the 108MP camera works on the MI10T rom for the Pro?

Reactions: deedend
Mine is the 10T .see pics included

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-16-15-21-30-062_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-16-15-21-30-062_com.android.settings.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 340
Currently I'm running on 12.0.11.0 Global on Mi 10T Pro, bootloader unlocked and rooted with Magisk. You said to wipe data using stock recovery. Should I flash back stock recovery just to install 12.5 EU rom or can I just wipe with the TWRP ( 3.5.0 Beta by Whyle ) that is already flashed on my device?

Is "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK30SUltra_MI10T_V12.5.1.0.RJDCNXM_v12-11.zip" the correct rom that I should install? Does the 108MP camera works on this?

Currently I'm running on 12.0.11.0 Global on Mi 10T Pro, bootloader unlocked and rooted with Magisk. You said to wipe data using stock recovery. Should I flash back stock recovery just to install 12.5 EU rom or can I just wipe with the TWRP ( 3.5.0 Beta by Whyle ) that is already flashed on my device?

Is "xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK30SUltra_MI10T_V12.5.1.0.RJDCNXM_v12-11.zip" the correct rom that I should install? Does the 108MP camera works on this?
You should try the TWRP that's uploaded here, it's a bit more updated and can decrypt data (I read that, but haven't tried it)

EDIT: this is the link https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693766094

For any process other than the one described in the first post please ask in the respective ROM release thread.

So I can just format data using this TWRP instead of stock recovery after installing 12.5 EU stable so that it will boot to system?
If "Format Data" doesn't work in TWRP, simply flash the stock Recovery and wipe data with it. You can reflash your custom Recovery (TWRP) after that. ;)

I'm registered just to say BIG THANKS! This easy instruction worked like a charm!

But NFC is not working, it is just gray in google pay. Any solution?

Last edited: