Where To Start?! Redmi Note 2

Android_new

Members
Mar 16, 2016
Hi there

I'm a total android newbie and have just got a Redmi Note 2.
It is on Android version 5.0.2 LRX22G
MIUI Version MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 | Beta

Goal: I've been trying to update the ROM so that I can get google services and customise it for use in the UK but am so lost :(

I've read so many forum threads, trouble is, I don't know what I really need to do and in what order!

What I have tried:

1. Upgrading ROM to: Author: MIUI Official TeamVersion: V7.1.3.0.LHMMICK (MIUI7) Size: 935M

Issues: Following the flashing guide, when it says copy the file into the 'internal storage of the device' does it matter what folder?
I've downloaded it (created a folder called 'downloaded_rom') and gone to the the updater, picked the file - but keep getting:

Install update .zip failed!
update .zip is corrupted.

Where am I going wrong?

2. Fastboot mode - what is this and when should I try to use it? Do I need it for the goal I am trying to achieve?

3. PC Suite - I downloaded this but am stuck when it comes to steps to access the internal storage
- I launch settings app > additional settings > Storage - but cannot select USB Storage for mounting (it's greyed out) and cannot check Media device MTP option (cannot even see this) - what am I doing wrong here?

4. Is an SD card necessary for achieving my goal?

5. What is TWRP and SuperSU? Do I need to do these things / is there an order in which each of the steps should be done?

6. Rootchecker - I installed this and get: Congratulations! Root access is properly installed on this device (Redmi Note 2 Android version 5.02) - is this the state I need it to be in?

7. KingRoot app - what is this? I tried using it, it's in Chinese and it then froze the device (needed to battery pull)

I'm really sorry for all the questions - I have genuinely tried to go through the forum threads and try all things suggested - but I really need a dummies guide (which I cannot find) and I need guidance on what I need to do when - else I will keep looping round!

Thanks in advance - I clearly am not geeky enough

Try this method (Method 1) - "How to Flash Fastboot ROMs on Redmi Note 2/Prime". It won't let me post a direct link.
I flashed my Redmi Note 2 for use in the UK a few days ago by following that guide.

Last edited:
Try this method (Method 1) - "How to Flash Fastboot ROMs on Redmi Note 2/Prime". It won't let me post a direct link.
I flashed my Redmi Note 2 for use in the UK a few days ago by following that guide.

Thanks - I've been trial and erroring away and just managed to go from MIUI Version MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 | Beta to
MIUI Version MIUI Global 7.1 | Stable 7.1.3.0 (LHMMICK) - have I actually been successful?
Is this what you are on?
[ I am in disbelief that I could have done it]

What else have you done? (Sorry a total luddite - I really need some hand holding!)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_125549.jpg
    IMG_20160316_125549.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 292
Yep, that's the rom I'm currently on. I just moved back from iOS to the Redmi Note 2 so we're pretty much in the same boat.
Other than that, I've done nothing else to the phone other than removing a few pre-installed apps. There are still a few Mi Apps that aren't removable, but I'm awaiting sMIUI's release of 7.2 global which should be around sometime soon. That requires installing TWRP, but I'll tackle that when the rom has been released. I've not rooted and don't plan to, as I'm just looking for something stable that I don't have to faff about with.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the rom I'm currently on. I just moved back from iOS to the Redmi Note 2 so we're pretty much in the same boat.
Other than that, I've done nothing else to the phone other than removing a few pre-installed apps. There are still a few Mi Apps that aren't removable, but I'm awaiting sMIUI's release of 7.2 global which should be around sometime soon. That requires installing TWRP, but I'll tackle that when the rom has been released. I've not rooted and don't plan too, as I'm just looking for something stable that I don't have to faff about with.

I was faffing with TWRP - see another thread I've posted - was part way successful on step 9 of 10 and have managed to fail there re: SuperSu - so I am not sure whether it's rooted / not rooted :s

Hopefully the next release we can load up OTA . I've not looked at apps etc yet to work out what I need to remove / add. I wish I knew how I even managed the upgrade - it 's been more luck than actual knowing what I've been doing - eurgh!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and good luck (any tips that you may have going forward will be really appreciated)

The next update (7.2) which I believe improves battery life, should be released OTA in the next few days. The only reason I'm looking at sMIUI is because I don't particularly want/use the built in Mi Apps. I could just ignore them, but I'm a little OCD.

I did attempt to install TWRP the other day using Windroid, but it didn't work properly. I've got a different guide bookmarked for when I try again though.

The next update (7.2) which I believe improves battery life, should be released OTA in the next few days. The only reason I'm looking at sMIUI is because I don't particularly want/use the built in Mi Apps. I could just ignore them, but I'm a little OCD.

I did attempt to install TWRP the other day using Windroid, but it didn't work properly. I've got a different guide bookmarked for when I try again though.
V7.2.1.0 Stable, the battery is inexhaustible

Reactions: Varvaris