Why can't I wipe /system before flashing xiaomi.eu rom?

arboria

Members
Jan 4, 2019
Hello. In Miui ROM DOWNLOADS/RELEASES, on download link instructions, it says NEVER WIPE SYSTEM or PERSIST before flashing rom in TWRP.
Why can't I wipe /system to flash a new rom? Isn't /system included in the rom? Does it depend from a previous /system partition from another rom?
Normally I am used to wipe data, cache, dalvik and system before a new rom.

all necessary is done by installation script.. dont make your life complicated..

I think I should be able to wipe /system to clean from previous rom. I don't see why I can't or have to 'make my life impossible'.
It says DON'T WIPE SYSTEM, why is it? Just precise answer.
You are the leader, you should inform and respect us users instead of ambigous answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bodevp
Sorry to bother you again and get this topic back to top. I'm also interested on an answer. Reading now several hours trough several Forums and always finding different answers about this thing wiht system partition. But nowhere is explained, why it shouldn't be done.

Yes i understand, i don't need to wipe system for a working .eu Rom. But i'm interested on the background about this topic. On my other Androids, it was ver often suggested to wipe system, before flashing a new Rom.

What will happen on wiping the System Partition? Brick, Bootloop, nothing but a clean system?

Best Regards

Reactions: beminacc
You can safely wipe /system. It's an open script install. It 'takes care of everything', I was told. :)

I sometimes wipe /system too, and never found anything that was affected. While I think it is not necessary and the installer script really does everything, it apparently does not create any problem.
However, persist should never be wiped, because you might/will lose IMEI of your phone and it will have other problems with sensors and connectivity, too.

I also wipe system, nothing happens but it's not a proof of won't happen, just do what installation script says if you don't know how to fix brick