Why did you choose the Mi2(s)

Oraaro

Members
May 5, 2013
Hi,

This is a general question to other mi2(s) users.

What made you choose the mi2 over other phones available?

For me it was either a choice of the mi2 or nexus 4. The nexus 4 being sold out at the time made it an easier choice for me. I wasn't originally sure about the mi2 seeing it wasn't available locally in the UK but so far I've had no problems at all and the battery life has been pretty good.

Always loved MIUI and was sick of bad or glitched ports, so I told myself: why not get the officially supported phone?

Haven't regret it so far.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Well, I wanna to get an Android phone and the first choice was the SGIII, but when I was searching in some benchmarks I saw the Mi-2 crushing all the competitors and with a 1/3 cost?! It's really a great phone but the closed kernel and the lack of ROM's variety it's a thing that make's me a little bit frustrated with Xiaomi.

@Dex: why are you frustrated about that?

Kernel exchanges are usually only done if the stock kernel is glitched or misconfigured...

The Xiaomi phones have a pretty reliable stock kernel with all the usual modules you would normally only get with custom kernels.

I for one am very happy to have a phone that comes with a good stock kernel.

I do wish though that they would open up their sources though...

Seen from a legal point of view they actually have to open their sources.

For me, clearly a value for money choice, although I got it for free as a present from a good friend of mine living in China. My previous phone was a ZTE Blade, again a chinese best value for money choice for the time it was released. This made me give chinese producers and particularly xiaomi another chance. Furthermore I was aware of MIUI as a highly qualitative ROM. This was one more factor that pushed me towards choosing MI2.
With Chinese products one must be very careful and lucky, but in the case of MI2, I believe it was worth the challenge. So far (after 6 months use), the phone is insuperable!

I wanted a phone, not a phablet. Today's high end devices are all gargantuan in size it's almost comical, but manufacturers continue to build smartphones designed for elephants (see Samsung commercial for proof). Xiaomi is one of the few companies who still believe in making reasonable sized phones, which is why I'm a bit concerned about the Mi3 rumors.

I believe the primary reason the iPhone is still relevant is because of the phone size. There is still a very large demographic (myself included) who want a portable phone that fits nicely in "one hand". I can't understand why all the Android phabletmakers are blind to this.

Reactions: ubelai
@Dex: why are you frustrated about that?

Kernel exchanges are usually only done if the stock kernel is glitched or misconfigured...

The Xiaomi phones have a pretty reliable stock kernel with all the usual modules you would normally only get with custom kernels.

I for one am very happy to have a phone that comes with a good stock kernel.

I do wish though that they would open up their sources though...

Seen from a legal point of view they actually have to open their sources.

Coldbird

The Xiaomi model business is to get and Android and modify, about that no problem at all, but the Android model is open source and MIUI is closed to any modifications witch is against the GNU and other rules that they have to follow.

Xiaomi phones continues the model of the O.S. closing the kernel to prevent cloning and other things from chinese cloners, the kernel help to developers build other Android versions and improove other things, because the only ROM's that we have is MIUI (WIUI it's an variant) and stock... There's a lot more like AOKP, Cyanogenmod, Paranoid etc. but we can't port this until the kernel is released...

Thanks to M1cha and his efforts we have CWM and he is doing some progress with the kernel.;)

Reactions: deini
Xiaomi phones continues the model of the O.S. closing the kernel to prevent cloning and other things from chinese cloners, the kernel help to developers build other Android versions and improove other things, because the only ROM's that we have is MIUI (WIUI it's an variant) and stock... There's a lot more like AOKP, Cyanogenmod, Paranoid etc. but we can't port this until the kernel is released...

Thanks to M1cha and his efforts we have CWM and he is doing some progress with the kernel.;)

The lack of ROM's is something that I noticed about the MI2 but I wouldn't say that is a bad thing. Sure there is no CM10 or AOKP but compared similar devices there is very little to be improved. The MI2 was built specifically for MIUI which is why there no bugs compared to ports of MIUI.

We have WIUI which may just be a variant but there practically no bugs and if anything the battery is better. Right now I wouldn't trade that for the Nexus 4 development in XDA which has more than half a dozen versions of the same based AOSP based ROM's with practically no differences at all. Don't get me wrong I think there should be PA (it has more features than the other two imo) for the Mi2. Like everybody else I'm hoping that M1cha does eventually get the kernel working but we should still have quality rather than quantity in terms of ROM's when that happens.

The lack of ROM's is something that I noticed about the MI2 but I wouldn't say that is a bad thing. Sure there is no CM10 or AOKP but compared similar devices there is very little to be improved. The MI2 was built specifically for MIUI which is why there no bugs compared to ports of MIUI.

We have WIUI which may just be a variant but there practically no bugs and if anything the battery is better. Right now I wouldn't trade that for the Nexus 4 development in XDA which has more than half a dozen versions of the same based AOSP based ROM's with practically no differences at all. Don't get me wrong I think there should be PA (it has more features than the other two imo) for the Mi2. Like everybody else I'm hoping that M1cha does eventually get the kernel working but we should still have quality rather than quantity in terms of ROM's when that happens.

I've used many androids before and have flashed countless roms, looking for the perfect mix, and while that was fun and informative, I grew tired of the instability and uncertainty with each flash. With the Mi2 (with MIUI or WIUI), I've had no such concerns. It's been a pleasant experience and my phone feels invincible.

Swyped from my Mi 2

Reactions: mymellowman
I've used many androids before and have flashed countless roms, looking for the perfect mix, and while that was fun and informative, I grew tired of the instability and uncertainty with each flash. With the Mi2 (with MIUI or WIUI), I've had no such concerns. It's been a pleasant experience and my phone feels invincible.

Swyped from my Mi 2

Exactly that I mean. Why should we get M1cha's kernel working only to start developing a more than a dozen ROM's when it may actually detract the quality on the development side of things if people just start porting different ROM's as soon we get CWM working.

I chose mine based on the specs and the ability to use this phone on a dumbphone data & text plan w/ my provider. I have had numerous android phones prior to the mi2, but never used MIUI before. I've found it to be feature rich, great on battery, and very, very stable.

I second boojay's comment - While in theory I miss the ability to switch between countless ROMS, MIUI and the mi2 has brought me to a place where I'm happy with not having to switch to find something more stable (and my phone definitely feels invincible.)

Reactions: boojay