Why do not we have default encryption on .eu roms?

antonio97ss

Members
Aug 10, 2018
Hello

I have seen several posts in the forum, but no answer as to why xiaomi.eu roms do not have encryption (FBE) enabled by default. Virtually all custom roms already work with the FBE by default, so I would like to know if there is any specific reason not to be active in .eu roms. I think the lack of encryption is a major problem in the use, because it makes the data of the cell vulnerable. I know we can encrypt manually by editing fstab, but it's not practical ...

Would anyone know how to answer why we do not have encryption by default? Are there plans for this in the future?

Sorry for bad English

I definitely want to know this as well. This is currently the only reason I am sticking to Lineage OS instead of xiaomi.eu roms.

Too bad developers do not care about that. Encryption is essential for these days .. if at least we had an option to power encencryptio manually by the options and not having to make fancy settings in fstab.conf .. until then I have to continue in the global ROM ....

I can't speak for the Mi6 but on the Poco in particular, TWRP cannot decrypt the stock FDE at all. Yes, official firmware uses the old FDE and not FBE, lol....

But it's not difficult to modify fstab and change the encryption flag. So why not just do it yourself? You might need Magisk though since modifying system/vendor will trip verity. EDIT: I see you already say "it's not practical".... well, you can make your own ZIP to automate the process. Or add a script to TWRP so TWRP does it automatically on reboot. There are your options.

So I imagine it's just for compatibility sake. If encryption was forced, there would probably be a lot more people complaining about it than now.

Reactions: vanDon
Hello

I have seen several posts in the forum, but no answer as to why xiaomi.eu roms do not have encryption (FBE) enabled by default. Virtually all custom roms already work with the FBE by default, so I would like to know if there is any specific reason not to be active in .eu roms. I think the lack of encryption is a major problem in the use, because it makes the data of the cell vulnerable. I know we can encrypt manually by editing fstab, but it's not practical ...

Would anyone know how to answer why we do not have encryption by default? Are there plans for this in the future?

Sorry for bad English
I tested an easy solution:
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...e-encrypted-permanently-in-an-easy-way.48895/

Reactions: Bidilinux