Why does Xiaomi not really support their own hardware properly?

Sere83

Members
Mar 20, 2012
While xiaomi are supposed to be known for good software support when it comes to updating their own phones to the latest version of android it seems they are some of the worst in the industry.

If you own any redmi device you will receive updates every 2 or 3 monthes and none of them are on kittkatt and owners have not even been told they will receive it or not. It should not matter that these phones are cheap they should still receive proper updates as people have paid money for working devices yet many have critical bugs that are unresolved. Motorola support the moto G very well as do Huwaei and others like zopo and jiayu who have all released kitkatt updates for their cheap phones.

Xiaomi's older phones again like mi2/mi2s/mi2a, none of them on kittkatt all still stuck on 4.1!. The only kittatt phone is the mi3. This is worse than most mainstream large manufacturers and again also worse than most smaller chinese manufacturers like Jiayu or Zopo.

What's amazing is kittkatt was announced in october 2013 and xiaomi have not updated any of it's own devices apart from mi3.

What has happened to xiaomi and why don't they support their own devices properly?

Last edited:
Reactions: rastas and tnhh
Yes I think that my mi2 is my first and last xiaomi device. None of the newer devices are very interesting and the software support is awful.

Are you missing some of the Kit kat features? I wonder which... I think new miui is just behind the door...

People have been saying that the new MIUI is coming for over six months. I'm not holding my breath.

I would quite like to see device encryption, Bluetooth LE, better memory management and of course all of the myriad bug fixes. But my main concern is that MIUI v5 just gets more and more bloated, and many of the new features are actually worse (e.g., the new mail client).

OK, I guess everyone has it's own priorities and needs. I expect from OS to provide nice and smooth environment for the apps I use, and I can say Miui delivers. But for instance - as you listed - better memory mgmt or some device encryption would be nice.

i think its because personally xiamoi is usefull in china not for worldwide, you know what china do to rules the world? we must learn his languange then we could to got a lot of profit from xiaomi and china , thanks :)

Xiaomi is no doubt the best choice in China, but the way Chinese people thinks are so different from Westerners. Apart from there are so many themes you can chose, I can't see why xiaomi is good to Westerners because it's after sale network outside China is not so advance.
We receive update of the system every week and once a bug emerge, it will soon got killed. And if there are hardware problems, it's easy to reach official service .