Will Apps, Settings And Files Remain After Update?

MJ9797

Members
Oct 5, 2015
My mother’s Redmi Note 2 is running a beta version of MIUI 7 (5.9.18) and I want to update it to the stable version. The instructions given in the FAQ are:
  • back up your data either using the miui back up app or third party app such as titanium
  • download miui rom for your device
  • place this rom on your sd card
  • reboot into recovery
  • flash the miui rom
  • wipe dalvik
  • reboot your device as normal once the rom has successfully flashed
If I follow these instructions will the apps, settings and files be saved after the update or will everything revert to a default installation?

Also, the update app on the phone currently shows an update is available to 5.12.17. If I upgrade through the update app would that update to the official Xiaomi ROM rather than the Xiaomi.eu ROM?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

1)As far as I know, if you want to flash a Rom through mi recovery, then you need to rename it to "update.zip".
2)And if only wipe cache or dalvik cache, then your apps and settings will NOT go. But if you wipe user data or all data then everything will revert back to default.
3) If the previous Rom was miui developer Rom then updating through the updater app will flash the latest miui beta Rom, NOT the xiaomi.eu Rom.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

My mother’s Redmi Note 2 is running a beta version of MIUI 7 (5.9.18) and I want to update it to the stable version. The instructions given in the FAQ are:
  • back up your data either using the miui back up app or third party app such as titanium
  • download miui rom for your device
  • place this rom on your sd card
  • reboot into recovery
  • flash the miui rom
  • wipe dalvik
  • reboot your device as normal once the rom has successfully flashed
If I follow these instructions will the apps, settings and files be saved after the update or will everything revert to a default installation?

Also, the update app on the phone currently shows an update is available to 5.12.17. If I upgrade through the update app would that update to the official Xiaomi ROM rather than the Xiaomi.eu ROM?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
To flash the EU ROM on the Note2, you will need to either use TWRP recovery (as per the instructions) or possible downgrade to an older Mi recovery that does not include keysign checks.
I went with TWRP and an EU version from SMIUI - works well for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stefano131270
Thanks for the advice. I'll be visiting my mother at Christmas so I'll give it a try then. I just wanted to make sure of the correct way to do it before I went back.

Things seem to have gone wrong. After installing the xiaomi.eu_multi_hermes_V7.0.8.0.LHMCNCI_v7-5.0 ROM the phone shows "No Service" on the SIM and a message keeps popping up saying:

Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped.

I tried installing the earlier xiaomi.eu_multi_hermes_V7.0.6.0.LHMCNCI_v7-5.0.zip ROM but the SIM still shows no service and the above message still keeps popping up.

Before and after each ROM installation I wiped the cache, but I noticed in the above instructions it says "wipe dalvik". There's only a wipe cache option in the recovery mode and no wipe dalvik. Is this the same thing? If it's not what should I do to wipe the dalvik?

Any other ideas on how to get the phone working again?

Things seem to have gone wrong. After installing the xiaomi.eu_multi_hermes_V7.0.8.0.LHMCNCI_v7-5.0 ROM the phone shows "No Service" on the SIM and a message keeps popping up saying:

Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped.

I tried installing the earlier xiaomi.eu_multi_hermes_V7.0.6.0.LHMCNCI_v7-5.0.zip ROM but the SIM still shows no service and the above message still keeps popping up.

Before and after each ROM installation I wiped the cache, but I noticed in the above instructions it says "wipe dalvik". There's only a wipe cache option in the recovery mode and no wipe dalvik. Is this the same thing? If it's not what should I do to wipe the dalvik?

Any other ideas on how to get the phone working again?
1)You flashed a stable Rom over a beta Rom? It is highly recommended to wipe all data before doing that. Backup apps through the backup option and all your data(including data in your sd card). 2Then after flashing the stable Rom, first try by "wiping user data" from the mi recovery and see if there are any force closes . If you still face force close, then reflash the Rom and then wipe all data.
2) The wipe cache option in mi recovery wipes cache partition and dalvik cache. So you won't need to wipe dalvik cache separately.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefano131270