Xiaomi in Europe and US (or "Is Xiaomi copying Apple?")

Rogerdodger

Members
Nov 26, 2012
First, I'd like to make it clear that I love Miui and Xiaomi hardware.
However, after the release of the MiPad, Mi4 and Miui V6, the resemblance with a certain fruity company is striking.
Samsung got sued (and lost) for much less here in the US. Does anybody think Xiaomi would be sued if they tried to enter the US market?
Does anybody else think that the Mi4 looks too much like the iPhone 5 and that V6 looks too much like iOS 7?
I would love to have Xiaomi here, but now that seems very difficult...
Finally, I would like to say that I don't want to start a flame war. I am a Miui fan, but not a fanboi.
Any thoughts on the subject?

I agree with you that it's very difficult to imagine how Xiaomi wants to expand to other countries like the US or Europe.
For the time being I think the focus is on asia, like India, Singapore, Malasia, Indonesia etc.

I honestly think that Xiaomi could be sued because of there products.
For example the bounce-effect in MIUI when you scroll in settings.
Samsung lost a lawsuit here in the Netherlands because of that effect.
Touchwiz had to be changed to avoid other concequences.

But expansion to the US and the EU whould be late 2015 or early 2016 maybe?
MIUI could be changed by the time.
Xiaomi is putting more time in Global ROMs as well.
So time will learn I guess

I do think Xiaomi would face some legal issues if expanding to Western countries.

At one point, it seems that Xiaomi was distancing itself from Apple. After the releases of the Mi2S and the Mi3, there wasn't so many talks about Xiaomi copying Apple.

I don't think the Mi4 is too close to any given iPhone. The back is made of plastic, it has a straight forward 5 inch front panel.
But the MiPad, that's a entire different story. While I do have one, and despite of some crashes / bugs, I really love it, it's hard to deny where the inspiration came from. Screen with a 4/3 ratio, same resolution, same height and width. Well...

MIUI 6 going full flat design? Well, sure it's trendy after Apple made the move but I'm sure there are some others options out there. For one, I never liked the flat design of iOS 7 and I still don't like it. Hope something else will turn up.

Reactions: Rogerdodger
I do think Xiaomi would face some legal issues if expanding to Western countries.

At one point, it seems that Xiaomi was distancing itself from Apple. After the releases of the Mi2S and the Mi3, there wasn't so many talks about Xiaomi copying Apple.

I don't think the Mi4 is too close to any given iPhone. The back is made of plastic, it has a straight forward 5 inch front panel.
But the MiPad, that's a entire different story. While I do have one, and despite of some crashes / bugs, I really love it, it's hard to deny where the inspiration came from. Screen with a 4/3 ratio, same resolution, same height and width. Well...

MIUI 6 going full flat design? Well, sure it's trendy after Apple made the move but I'm sure there are some others options out there. For one, I never liked the flat design of iOS 7 and I still don't like it. Hope something else will turn up.

I haven't handled the Mi4 personally, but from this video I thought the two were very close...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
You should see how my iphone-user-friends are teasing me now... :p
I don't care for this whole flat thing either, although I guess it's a matter of taste (or lack of) :D

Anyway, I'm with you, hoping that something else will turn up :)

Will they face legal issues?

Yes, for sure, but so does Samsung and many other competitors on the market.

In the end it's a question of whether the annual revenue outweighs the annual costs, including costs like lawsuits.

If that revenue is big enough then they will expand, regardless of whether Apple wants them dead or not.

First, I'd like to make it clear that I love Miui and Xiaomi hardware.
However, after the release of the MiPad, Mi4 and Miui V6, the resemblance with a certain fruity company is striking.
Samsung got sued (and lost) for much less here in the US. Does anybody think Xiaomi would be sued if they tried to enter the US market?
Does anybody else think that the Mi4 looks too much like the iPhone 5 and that V6 looks too much like iOS 7?
I would love to have Xiaomi here, but now that seems very difficult...
Finally, I would like to say that I don't want to start a flame war. I am a Miui fan, but not a fanboi.
Any thoughts on the subject?

Actually ,you can ask a Chinese friend to buy it from mi.com official site to buy and send to you . For 1 phone , it is easy to get . Hope Xiaomi get stronger and stronger

I guess about the OS they can just ship their devices in USA/EU with preinstalled AOSP,And then people will have an option to download online from MIUI site the rom of miui and in that way they avoid sue about how the OS looks no?

I guess about the OS they can just ship their devices in USA/EU with preinstalled AOSP,And then people will have an option to download online from MIUI site the rom of miui and in that way they avoid sue about how the OS looks no?
Lol. Nooo...
Xiaomi factory os is MIUI and not aosp.

Wysłane z MI4

Lol. Nooo...
Xiaomi factory os is MIUI and not aosp.

Wysłane z MI4
Yea I know it but thats they way to avoid sue,
Ship in USA/EU with clean android and declare MIUI as a mod or something like that so Xiaomi wont have a connection to it,And lets say I buy a phone in USA I can download MIUI rom from the internet and thats it.
Meanwhile in China they will keep sell their phones with MIUI preinstalled of course.

Of course not. You buy Xiaomi device to use MIUI and not play with flashing on stupid aosp. Do you think that average user will be doing that? Flashing roms? Doing wipes?

Also why you expect sue?

Wysłane z MI4

Of course not. You buy Xiaomi device to use MIUI and not play with flashing on stupid aosp. Do you think that average user will be doing that? Flashing roms? Doing wipes?

Also why you expect sue?

Wysłane z MI4
Thats what everyone saying..If apple sue everything that moving (See Samsung TouchWiz)..
And yea I know you right but thats the only way..

Do apple have the patent in Asia ? If not I guess sueing xiaomi won't happen

Sent from my 16gb Mi Pad (it works)