xiaomi mi 9 miui eu lag issues

kalimdor18

Members
Jul 30, 2019
hi! i am currently waiting for my xiaomi mi 9 bootloader unlocking, i have 1 more week (from 15days) more to wait. this is because i got my phone preowned and the owner bought it from china, so it had the chinese rom in there.

i have been looking at miui eu to flash, but i read that there are some lags that are happening? is this problem persistent? is it just better to get the miui global rom?

i am a newbie, help please.

hi! i am currently waiting for my xiaomi mi 9 bootloader unlocking, i have 1 more week (from 15days) more to wait. this is because i got my phone preowned and the owner bought it from china, so it had the chinese rom in there.

i have been looking at miui eu to flash, but i read that there are some lags that are happening? is this problem persistent? is it just better to get the miui global rom?

i am a newbie, help please.
There's no lag.

do u have mi 9? can you give me a review of miui eu on it? thank you

I currently use the Mi 9 with Eu Rom. I have to say I am shocked. Literally shocked how good the Rom is when compared to the Global. I was very disappointed when the global version had Notification problems and only Whatsapp was available as an icon on Always On Display. With the EU, everything is great and everything is as it should be. You definitely have to get the EU, even if you THINK that Global Rom is Okay and you can get use to it.

I currently use the Mi 9 with Eu Rom. I have to say I am shocked. Literally shocked how good the Rom is when compared to the Global. I was very disappointed when the global version had Notification problems and only Whatsapp was available as an icon on Always On Display. With the EU, everything is great and everything is as it should be. You definitely have to get the EU, even if you THINK that Global Rom is Okay and you can get use to it.
Glad you liked my AOD icons :p

thanks on your review on it. is it true that the miui eu has many bugs and glitches and that the global rom is very very stable. (sorry if this is a very noob question)

as of now, i am seeing that on the miui eu site, there is no stable miui eu rom for the mi9, which is the most stable version as of now? thanks

edit : are all the xiaomi miui features like the game booster, electronic image stabilization, the quality of the camera post processing, etc... working the same (or even better) in the miui eu rom? i only saw this https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-7-25.51516/ . but this post did not say what the developers of the miui eu broke or what the miui eu rom's feature has not working (sorry devs, i appreciate what you are doing for the xiaomi community!)

Last edited:
thanks on your review on it. is it true that the miui eu has many bugs and glitches and that the global rom is very very stable. (sorry if this is a very noob question)

as of now, i am seeing that on the miui eu site, there is no stable miui eu rom for the mi9, which is the most stable version as of now? thanks

edit : are all the xiaomi miui features like the game booster, electronic image stabilization, the quality of the camera post processing, etc... working the same (or even better) in the miui eu rom? i only saw this https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-7-25.51516/ . but this post did not say what the developers of the miui eu broke or what the miui eu rom's feature has not working (sorry devs, i appreciate what you are doing for the xiaomi community!)

Well if you use the weekly patches, there are bugs here and there. As of last weeks patch, I have faced 2 bugs which are nothing critical. One functional bug (setting data plan to prevent over using mobile data - is fixed in the next patch) and one visual bug (sometimes while scrolling webpages, the top of the screen gets a weird ellipse kind of shape).

There is a stable EU rom for Mi 9: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...files/xiaomi.eu/MIUI-STABLE-RELEASES/MIUIv10/
Use CTRL F to find Mi9. It is the last in the list. As far as I know, that is the stable EU version. The rest are beta version which I think qualifies as semi stable as there are no critical bugs.

Lastly, all of the MiUI features are present. Something that I was curious as well. Plus, there are even more additions like the game booster's functions are better. You can text while playing and it doesn't cause problems to either whatsapp or the game. Facial recognition works better than the GLOBAL (my view). On global, the FR did not recognize me when I had sun glasses on. But with the EU ROM, it works unless I have considerable reflections on my glasses. As for the camera, it was just as the same, they added a button on the middle to make lens switch easier.

One thing I noticed, which I'm not sure if useful to you is that the lag on Instagram camera is greatly reduced. With Global ROM on my Mi 9, when I took a picture on Instagram, it blurred it. What's worse was that, when I shoot a story, I had frame lags every 2 seconds. With the EU rom, lags are greatly reduced. They happen every 4-5 seconds for 1 frame. Somewhat noticable but much less than before.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :)

Well if you use the weekly patches, there are bugs here and there. As of last weeks patch, I have faced 2 bugs which are nothing critical. One functional bug (setting data plan to prevent over using mobile data - is fixed in the next patch) and one visual bug (sometimes while scrolling webpages, the top of the screen gets a weird ellipse kind of shape).

There is a stable EU rom for Mi 9: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...files/xiaomi.eu/MIUI-STABLE-RELEASES/MIUIv10/
Use CTRL F to find Mi9. It is the last in the list. As far as I know, that is the stable EU version. The rest are beta version which I think qualifies as semi stable as there are no critical bugs.

Lastly, all of the MiUI features are present. Something that I was curious as well. Plus, there are even more additions like the game booster's functions are better. You can text while playing and it doesn't cause problems to either whatsapp or the game. Facial recognition works better than the GLOBAL (my view). On global, the FR did not recognize me when I had sun glasses on. But with the EU ROM, it works unless I have considerable reflections on my glasses. As for the camera, it was just as the same, they added a button on the middle to make lens switch easier.

One thing I noticed, which I'm not sure if useful to you is that the lag on Instagram camera is greatly reduced. With Global ROM on my Mi 9, when I took a picture on Instagram, it blurred it. What's worse was that, when I shoot a story, I had frame lags every 2 seconds. With the EU rom, lags are greatly reduced. They happen every 4-5 seconds for 1 frame. Somewhat noticable but much less than before.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :)

thank you for the very indepth review, this is very nice thing to know.

i apologize for my ignorance for not checking the sourceforge link, i just looked at the picture here ( https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-10-0-10-1-10-2-10-3-10-4-stable-release.47170/ ) and it didnt have mi 9 on the list so i assumed that there is no stable miui eu for mi 9. i am sorry.

i just have a couple more questions (sorry i am really new to the xiaomi community so i want to really make sure of things)

1. if i flash my mi 9 with miui eu stable (the one you sent me here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...lti_MI9_V10.2.16.0.PFACNXM_v10-9.zip/download ) can i get the weekly updates or not? if not, so i need to flash the "semi stable" rom instead of the stable one, so that i get the weekly updates?

2. follow up to #1, what advantages do i get from flashing the weekly miui eu over the stable miui eu?

3. all the new and nice features are good and all, but how is the battery life, i know that the it says here https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-7-25.51516/ that the rom has battery optimizations, but how good is it compared to the global rom?

thank you

thank you for the very indepth review, this is very nice thing to know.

i apologize for my ignorance for not checking the sourceforge link, i just looked at the picture here ( https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-10-0-10-1-10-2-10-3-10-4-stable-release.47170/ ) and it didnt have mi 9 on the list so i assumed that there is no stable miui eu for mi 9. i am sorry.

i just have a couple more questions (sorry i am really new to the xiaomi community so i want to really make sure of things)

1. if i flash my mi 9 with miui eu stable (the one you sent me here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...lti_MI9_V10.2.16.0.PFACNXM_v10-9.zip/download ) can i get the weekly updates or not? if not, so i need to flash the "semi stable" rom instead of the stable one, so that i get the weekly updates?

2. follow up to #1, what advantages do i get from flashing the weekly miui eu over the stable miui eu?

3. all the new and nice features are good and all, but how is the battery life, i know that the it says here https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-7-25.51516/ that the rom has battery optimizations, but how good is it compared to the global rom?

thank you

No problem at all. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. As far as I know, stable version have the "Updater" app on the homescreen but will only receive updates when stable is uploaded. Weekly roms also have the Updater app but it receives updates weekly (saturday through the app).

2. The latest stable rom doesn't seem to have less features than the most up to date beta one. I am not hundred percent sure if there is a list that shows the difference between weekly beta and stable. So far I'm really happy with the beta.

3. Well the battery life is the same the one and only thing I HIGHLY recommend you do to on Mi 9 to prolong your battery life is to change your mobile signal to WCDMA/LTE. You can do this on your Global rom by going to phone and type *#*#4636#*#* Set both your phone information to WCDMA/LTE. The catch is, should you reboot your phone, it resets back to its original settings so you have to do it everytime you reboot. BUT on EU Rom, the settings actually save. By choosing the same settings, changing the "Use Assisted GPS" off and turn WLAN scanning from Scanning option, you can visually see that your battery life is SIGNIFICANTLY improved.
Apparently, since Mi9 has two SIM slots, the unused slot pings Emergency Services with the most demanding signaling. So when you turn them down to LTE, the battery becomes much better.

No problem at all. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. As far as I know, stable version have the "Updater" app on the homescreen but will only receive updates when stable is uploaded. Weekly roms also have the Updater app but it receives updates weekly (saturday through the app).

2. The latest stable rom doesn't seem to have less features than the most up to date beta one. I am not hundred percent sure if there is a list that shows the difference between weekly beta and stable. So far I'm really happy with the beta.

3. Well the battery life is the same the one and only thing I HIGHLY recommend you do to on Mi 9 to prolong your battery life is to change your mobile signal to WCDMA/LTE. You can do this on your Global rom by going to phone and type *#*#4636#*#* Set both your phone information to WCDMA/LTE. The catch is, should you reboot your phone, it resets back to its original settings so you have to do it everytime you reboot. BUT on EU Rom, the settings actually save. By choosing the same settings, changing the "Use Assisted GPS" off and turn WLAN scanning from Scanning option, you can visually see that your battery life is SIGNIFICANTLY improved.
Apparently, since Mi9 has two SIM slots, the unused slot pings Emergency Services with the most demanding signaling. So when you turn them down to LTE, the battery becomes much better.

the weekly is not "crazy" right? it is not like the weekly have so much bugs compared to the stable?

regarding your trick on changing to WCDMA/LTE.. i tried this and as of now i dont feel any change, but i will observe this throughout the day. what does changing the phone information to WCDMA/LTE exactly do? will this weaken my connection? or signal ?

edit: i live in the philippines and not in US or EU or China, will this trick still work? (i cant test it now because currently im in Taiwan, and i will be back to the philippines in a couple of weeks.)

change your mobile signal to WCDMA/LTE. You can do this on your Global rom by going to phone and type *#*#4636#*#* Set both your phone information to WCDMA/LTE. The catch is, should you reboot your phone, it resets back to its original settings so you have to do it everytime you reboot. BUT on EU Rom, the settings actually save. By choosing the same settings, changing the "Use Assisted GPS" off and turn WLAN scanning from Scanning option, you can visually see that your battery life is SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

Hi!

I'm a newbie too, so please be patient (too)!! I'm still in the Global rom, thinking on switching to the Eu rom. For now: I've applied the first change you mentioned here (changing signal to WCDMA/LTE for both slots, even having only one sim), but I don't see options for the rest highlighted: USE ASSISTED GPS and WLAN SCANNING. Where are these settings located?

Also: the point in your last sentences (pings to Emergency Services), are related to WCDMA/LTE, USE ASSISTED GPS or WLAN SCANNING?

Furthermore: wouldn't it be preferable, for personal security reasons, to allow those pings to Emergency Services? Or are they absolutely useless?

Thanks!

the weekly is not "crazy" right? it is not like the weekly have so much bugs compared to the stable?

regarding your trick on changing to WCDMA/LTE.. i tried this and as of now i dont feel any change, but i will observe this throughout the day. what does changing the phone information to WCDMA/LTE exactly do? will this weaken my connection? or signal ?

edit: i live in the philippines and not in US or EU or China, will this trick still work? (i cant test it now because currently im in Taiwan, and i will be back to the philippines in a couple of weeks.)

It will not weaken your connection or signal since WCDMA is 3.5 G and LTE is 4/4.5 G. So in short, you are making your phone to look only for the optimal connections which is 4.5G (LTE) and if that is not present, 3/3.5 G which is available all around the world. What you are doing by changing those is, instead of making your phone look for ALL types of signal bands, you are narrowing it down to the available and necessary ones. A key point of phones are, if you don't have sim and your phone is constantly looking for signal, your battery will die much sooner. Especially in areas where signals are very weak. You phone will do its best to constantly send signal and receive back, something which the ordinary signal towers should do. Try this for example, remove your sim but don't activate airplane mode. You battery will die much sooner than when your sim was inserted.

Hi!

I'm a newbie too, so please be patient (too)!! I'm still in the Global rom, thinking on switching to the Eu rom. For now: I've applied the first change you mentioned here (changing signal to WCDMA/LTE for both slots, even having only one sim), but I don't see options for the rest highlighted: USE ASSISTED GPS and WLAN SCANNING. Where are these settings located?

Also: the point in your last sentences (pings to Emergency Services), are related to WCDMA/LTE, USE ASSISTED GPS or WLAN SCANNING?

Furthermore: wouldn't it be preferable, for personal security reasons, to allow those pings to Emergency Services? Or are they absolutely useless?

Thanks!

I'll answer one by one so you don't confuse them. Also no problem, my profession is teaching so I am patient with everybody :D

1. I can't be hundred percent sure if Assisted GPS and WLAN scanning is present as an option in Global Rom but on EU Rom its in:
Passwords & Security > Location > USE ASSISTED GPS (bottom of the page)
Passwords & Security > Location > SCANNING > WLAN SCANNING (untick it)

You can use the search feature in your settings to find it (if it is available.)

What USE ASSISTED GPS does is, it uses your mobile data to confirm your location. It constantly does this so when you have a GPS requiring app on like Maps, your battery dies faster as it also checks in the background to confirm your location. You do not need this as 1, your mobile service takes care of this automatically and 2, the GPS in your phone is accurate enough (especially on Mi 9 with dual GPS)
What WLAN SCANNING does is actually misleading. It doesn't scan for wireless signals so that you can connect. It reads "Allow apps and services to scan for Wlan networks at any time EVEN WHEN WLAN is OFF. This can be used to improve LOCATION BASED FEATURES AND SERVICES". So when you are using maps and you have your WLAN off, you phone is still looking for WiFi signals to confirm your location. Again, you don't need this. Your phone will take care of it anyways.
Turn both these down and you'll see that your location information is just as correct as before. The only catch is, you get more battery life. I noticed this significantly as I was wondering around my city last weekend.

2. Pinging emergency services are related to your GSM signal band so WCDMA/LTE, not the other two.

3. Here is the tricky part. I plan and am using only 1 sim on my Mi 9, I don't another sim card and don't plan to get one. I tried turning my second sim off, you have an option in the menu I told you. But if you turn it off, you lose signal completely on your first sim as well. So that option is not going to work. I decided to turn the second, unused sim to look for the least demanding signal band but again, if you change it to something other than what the other sim is looking for, you'll lose signal again. So in short, you have to choose the same signal band for both sims.

The reason I'm telling you this is, you are just making your phone to specifically look for WCDMA (3/3.5) and LTE (4/4.5G). If your phone can't find any of those, let's say that you are in an accident and clicked emergency call, your phone will send SOS signals through all band frequencies starting with the one you preferred. Since every city has 3G, even in the least advanced city you'll be pinging SOS through 3G in less than 5 seconds. Starting from LTE, to WCDMA, CDMA and etc.

In conclusion, there is nothing to worry about. Emergency service feature on phones works slightly different than usual GSM stuff. Should you need it, the setting I told you won't affect the results. However it will prolong your battery life. Trust me, when you are forcing your phone to look for WCDMA/LTE and when one of the SIM cards actually gets a hold of the signal, your battery will stop draining. Before I changed my setting, my sim1 was on Auto and the sim2 was on bands that consisted all of the signals. That was killing my phone even when it was just sitting on the table.

Reactions: baudelinog
I'll answer one by one so you don't confuse them. Also no problem, my profession is teaching so I am patient with everybody :D

1. I can't be hundred percent sure if Assisted GPS and WLAN scanning is present as an option in Global Rom but on EU Rom its in:

You can use the search feature in your settings to find it (if it is available.)

What USE ASSISTED GPS does is, it uses your mobile data to confirm your location. It constantly does this so when you have a GPS requiring app on like Maps, your battery dies faster as it also checks in the background to confirm your location. You do not need this as 1, your mobile service takes care of this automatically and 2, the GPS in your phone is accurate enough (especially on Mi 9 with dual GPS)
What WLAN SCANNING does is actually misleading. It doesn't scan for wireless signals so that you can connect. It reads "Allow apps and services to scan for Wlan networks at any time EVEN WHEN WLAN is OFF. This can be used to improve LOCATION BASED FEATURES AND SERVICES". So when you are using maps and you have your WLAN off, you phone is still looking for WiFi signals to confirm your location. Again, you don't need this. Your phone will take care of it anyways.
Turn both these down and you'll see that your location information is just as correct as before. The only catch is, you get more battery life. I noticed this significantly as I was wondering around my city last weekend.

2. Pinging emergency services are related to your GSM signal band so WCDMA/LTE, not the other two.

3. Here is the tricky part. I plan and am using only 1 sim on my Mi 9, I don't another sim card and don't plan to get one. I tried turning my second sim off, you have an option in the menu I told you. But if you turn it off, you lose signal completely on your first sim as well. So that option is not going to work. I decided to turn the second, unused sim to look for the least demanding signal band but again, if you change it to something other than what the other sim is looking for, you'll lose signal again. So in short, you have to choose the same signal band for both sims.

The reason I'm telling you this is, you are just making your phone to specifically look for WCDMA (3/3.5) and LTE (4/4.5G). If your phone can't find any of those, let's say that you are in an accident and clicked emergency call, your phone will send SOS signals through all band frequencies starting with the one you preferred. Since every city has 3G, even in the least advanced city you'll be pinging SOS through 3G in less than 5 seconds. Starting from LTE, to WCDMA, CDMA and etc.

In conclusion, there is nothing to worry about. Emergency service feature on phones works slightly different than usual GSM stuff. Should you need it, the setting I told you won't affect the results. However it will prolong your battery life. Trust me, when you are forcing your phone to look for WCDMA/LTE and when one of the SIM cards actually gets a hold of the signal, your battery will stop draining. Before I changed my setting, my sim1 was on Auto and the sim2 was on bands that consisted all of the signals. That was killing my phone even when it was just sitting on the table.

Amazingly detailed answer, thank you very much!!

Reactions: limb0ist
i do
It will not weaken your connection or signal since WCDMA is 3.5 G and LTE is 4/4.5 G. So in short, you are making your phone to look only for the optimal connections which is 4.5G (LTE) and if that is not present, 3/3.5 G which is available all around the world. What you are doing by changing those is, instead of making your phone look for ALL types of signal bands, you are narrowing it down to the available and necessary ones. A key point of phones are, if you don't have sim and your phone is constantly looking for signal, your battery will die much sooner. Especially in areas where signals are very weak. You phone will do its best to constantly send signal and receive back, something which the ordinary signal towers should do. Try this for example, remove your sim but don't activate airplane mode. You battery will die much sooner than when your sim was inserted.
thank you for sharing this tip, this is the first time i heard it! i will try it when i have flashed the miui eu

Amazingly detailed answer, thank you very much!!
i just check it and it is there in
- aditional settings
- privacy

about the network type. mine was at global/td-scdma. what does this do that is bad compared to the WCDMA/LTE ?

thanks for the detailed info on this

i just check it and it is there in
- aditional settings
- privacy

about the network type. mine was at global/td-scdma. what does this do that is bad compared to the WCDMA/LTE ?

thanks for the detailed info on this

global is 3G on a different frequency band. It is used if you are not sure what you country or the countries you visit are using as GSM. As for the latter, Google says "Time Division Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access (TD-SCDMA) refers to an air interface used in Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UTMS) networks in the People's Republic of China.TD-SCDMA was developed as a substitute for W-CDMA."

So they were made with China in mind. Just go ahead with LTE and WCDMA which is made by Westerns.

Reactions: kalimdor18

If I understand you correctly you say that you can not choose different settings for both sim slots? Because for me that does work. My primary sim is set to LTE/WDCMA, and the secondary (empty one atm) is set to GSM only. Works fine :). Perhaps you need to disable Dual 4G in: settings --> SIM cards & mobile netoworks. note: I am still in the global rom 10.2.9.0, so I don't know if it's different in the xiaomi.eu rom.
One other question I have is why there is no option for: GSM/WDCMA/LTE. because sometimes GSM is the only available network, especially outside urban areas.

Last edited: