Xiaomi mi4 FDD LTE

Jacketti

Members
Mar 25, 2013
Does anyone know if there will be a xiaomi mi4 with FDD LTE support? and if so, will the bands 800 and 1800 be supported?

They said, that yes, but didn't say when. No words about supported bands. Personally I wouldn't count with 800MHz band, 1800/2100 only.

That's too bad, my country has/will have full support for 800 and in the bigger cities 1800. Maybe the honor 6 would be a better choice

That's too bad, my country has/will have full support for 800 and in the bigger cities 1800. Maybe the honor 6 would be a better choice
Do you believe LTE is so critical? On my mobile LTE router I get 46-48 Mbit under LTE and "just" around 32-34 Mbit in 3G mode. As soon as many users connects it drops to 7-10 in both cases. So, where is a difference? I am in Europe. LTE basic contract is about Euro 7 more expensive. LTE with "priority" access is twice as expensive. So, even if my Mi4 would support LTE what is real benefit? And another my 2cc: even on the fastest home/office routers I have access to I cannot get more then 56 Mbit on Mi4 WiFi under ideal conditions ;-). But at this speed even streaming of 4K videos is smooth like hell. Just FYI.

Wonder if upgrade to FDD 4G will require some hardware changes or this will be just a software upgrade?
So, if only software upgrade will be required then we can order MI4 in current incarnation and 4G will be added later. Is this the case or I am to optimistic?

Of course it's hardware... You can't enable 4G by some switch in rom...

Wysłane z MI4

I have a 4g contract from my work, and I want to fully use that, so I need a phone which supports that. In my country the Netherlands, 800 is supported nation wide. Therefor this band is critical for me.

Do you believe LTE is so critical? On my mobile LTE router I get 46-48 Mbit under LTE and "just" around 32-34 Mbit in 3G mode. As soon as many users connects it drops to 7-10 in both cases. So, where is a difference? I am in Europe. LTE basic contract is about Euro 7 more expensive. LTE with "priority" access is twice as expensive. So, even if my Mi4 would support LTE what is real benefit? And another my 2cc: even on the fastest home/office routers I have access to I cannot get more then 56 Mbit on Mi4 WiFi under ideal conditions ;-). But at this speed even streaming of 4K videos is smooth like hell. Just FYI.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI PAD met Tapatalk

Of course it's hardware... You can't enable 4G by some switch in rom...

Wysłane z MI4

Did some googling, what could I do even before ...
According to the specifications MI4 uses SoC Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC:
http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/46522e1d

Then, according to the Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC datasheet, this SoC has integrated modem capable of:

Integrated 4G LTE Advanced World Mode, supporting LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA (DC-HSUPA), CDMA1x, EV-DO Rev. B, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/801

Further, according to the Wikipedia there are many well known mobile phones using this SoC that already now support LTE-FDD
Oneplus One, Samsung Galaxy S5, Oppo Find 7 ... just to mentione some of them.

Conclusion:
MI4 upgrade to LTE-FDD should not require hardware update but modem software/fimrware update should be enough

Corrent me if I am wrong

Of course, you are wrong.

Xiaomi MI3 W: MSM8274AB - no LTE CPU
Xiaomi MI4 W: MSM8274AC - no LTE CPU
Xiaomi MI4 TD-LTE: MSM8974AC - has LTE CPU

I have a 4g contract from my work, and I want to fully use that, so I need a phone which supports that. In my country the Netherlands, 800 is supported nation wide. Therefor this band is critical for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI PAD met Tapatalk
I think you did not understand my comment. So in plain language: I do have LTE contract. It could be used as LTE or 3g+.
And in everyday use there is no speed improvement for me. Real life speed in both modes are less then maximum for 3G+ and about 10 to 15 in the capital vs. 20 to 30 (ideal conditions) in not much populated country side. If you have a friend with LTE contract and capable equipment (modem, phone, ...) and do actual test in YOUR location not to have surprise later. Some of my friends with premium LTE contract cannot get even 10 Mbit, and my LTE contract for iPad is never exceed 10 Mbit no matter what. LTE is not equal great speed, "full coverage" does not mean good reception ...

Same here, I couldn't wait for the 800mhz band to be supported and just got a Mi4 64GB.

I suggest you do the same. 3G is fast enough. ;)

3G is fast enough, but it's coverage will remain, LTE will grow.

I dunno situation in your countries, but in CZ is 3G coverage pretty bad, mainly in cities. LTE is growing fast, even on coutryside.

Reactions: geko95gek
3G is fast enough, but it's coverage will remain, LTE will grow.

I dunno situation in your countries, but in CZ is 3G coverage pretty bad, mainly in cities. LTE is growing fast, even on coutryside.
True, 3G coverage will still grow in cities where it's scarce.

Also, bear in mind that 800mhz LTE frequency is the slowest LTE so it might not even be included in Mi4 4G version.

Sent from my MI 4W

I think you did not understand my comment. So in plain language: I do have LTE contract. It could be used as LTE or 3g+.
And in everyday use there is no speed improvement for me. Real life speed in both modes are less then maximum for 3G+ and about 10 to 15 in the capital vs. 20 to 30 (ideal conditions) in not much populated country side. If you have a friend with LTE contract and capable equipment (modem, phone, ...) and do actual test in YOUR location not to have surprise later. Some of my friends with premium LTE contract cannot get even 10 Mbit, and my LTE contract for iPad is never exceed 10 Mbit no matter what. LTE is not equal great speed, "full coverage" does not mean good reception ...
I tried on my iPhone 4s here, and had 3mbit next on my Honor 6 I had 18 mbits, same SIM same location

So isnt it possible , that the chip MSM8974AC supports the 800 Mhz Frequency with a software / firmware update ?

ok, thank you.
But i dont understand Xiaomi!
Is it so expensive and difficult to add the other LTE Bands ?
This would sell so much more Phones !!

ok, thank you.
But i dont understand Xiaomi!
Is it so expensive and difficult to add the other LTE Bands ?
This would sell so much more Phones !!
they just don't care about small and so difficult market as EU is... 800MHz is "fake" LTE technology (its like turbo HSDPA) and our carriers are lazy to upgrade for 1800/2600 bands...

Reactions: lekzzz
they just don't care about small and so difficult market as EU is... 800MHz is "fake" LTE technology (its like turbo HSDPA) and our carriers are lazy to upgrade for 1800/2600 bands...
Probably they do not care (I would not too), but honestly in almost all European country we have at least one provider that uses Band 3 (supported in that phone). It works for me (checked with sim from my home LTE modem), but LTE contracts are still way too expensive in all EU countries and I personally do not want to pay so much extra for so little improvement. Based on my tests in my area MI4 delivers nearly the same performances on LTE or just on H+. It is also confirmed by tests on OnePlus One ( my phone, MI4 is belongs to my daughter) and two LTE capable modems (one is global ZTE model that supports virtually anything. So on the practical side, there is nothing to cry about at list at this time.

PS: It is second Mi4 I bought for second daughter. First was "classic" with no LTE.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Probably they do not care (I would not too), but honestly in almost all European country we have at least one provider that uses Band 3 (supported in that phone). It works for me (checked with sim from my home LTE modem), but LTE contracts are still way too expensive in all EU countries and I personally do not want to pay so much extra for so little improvement. Based on my tests in my area MI4 delivers nearly the same performances on LTE or just on H+. It is also confirmed by tests on OnePlus One ( my phone, MI4 is belongs to my daughter) and two LTE capable modems (one is global ZTE model that supports virtually anything. So on the practical side, there is nothing to cry about at list at this time.

PS: It is second Mi4 I bought for second daughter. First was "classic" with no LTE.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Lte contracts are not expensive in all European country's, in Sweden we don't pay extra for lte contracts :)

In Spain I don't pay more for my 4G connection, only 5,9 euros months for 1,2Gb and free calls.