Xiaomi Mi5 Arrived, No Uk Region

Prettygrim

Members
Jan 6, 2016
hi all. my new Mi5 just arrived and on trying to set it up, found there is no United Kingdom, Great Britain, England or anything similar as a region for me to select. i am obviously a bit unhappy about this and wondered if the phone doesn't have a genuine rom on it. it is supposed to be an International model. i have attached an image of the phone specs/details and hope someone can tell me if it is or not. if it is not, how do i go about getting an official global/international rom on to the phone that has UK as a region? i have NOT even attempted to unlock the bootloader (not particularly good with phones) but used Algiers as a region for setting it up. it is the same time zone as the United Kingdom. i would like to keep the phone but this region thing has annoyed me very much.

if i want to return it to everbuying, will i be able to do a factory reset of the phone so no details of mine are on it? how do i do that?

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_114035.jpg
    IMG_20170701_114035.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 1,024
Région does not matter, I see you have official rom I suggest you to set your region as India, it will enable receiving 8.2.2 rom update, which has much more regions embedded (France appeared in 8.2.2) one-third after updating I strongly recommend to reset your phone as setup as a new device again.

Envoyé de mon MI 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

hi jc rey. many tnx for the reply.

is there any chance you could check your phone/someone else phone to see if United Kingdom does appear after the update you say, please?

if i change the region of my phone to India as you suggest, how do i actually go about getting the update you say? is it purely a matter of telling the phone to update or can i download the update on to my computer (where from/link please?) and then copy to the 'downloaded rom' folder on the phone?

hi jc rey. many tnx for the reply.

is there any chance you could check your phone/someone else phone to see if United Kingdom does appear after the update you say, please?

if i change the region of my phone to India as you suggest, how do i actually go about getting the update you say? is it purely a matter of telling the phone to update or can i download the update on to my computer (where from/link please?) and then copy to the 'downloaded rom' folder on the phone?
as said, the update will come automatically from OTA.

Or go directly at xiaomi at en.miui.com and download full global stable recovery rom for mi5 and update it selecting as update file from 'update' tool.
As a matter of fact, on my mi5 8.2.2 global I do not see UK ... This does not matter for the time zone as your phone get it from the network, not an issue.

Ok guys. I'll give that a try. Out of curiosity, if i can unlock the bootloader am i right in saying i could then update one of the weekly roms from here? Do these roms have all regions listed and selectable? What advantages/disadvantages is there in doing this on the Mi5? Will i have to use TWRP?

Ok guys. I'll give that a try. Out of curiosity, if i can unlock the bootloader am i right in saying i could then update one of the weekly roms from here? Do these roms have all regions listed and selectable? What advantages/disadvantages is there in doing this on the Mi5? Will i have to use TWRP?

yes eu rom focus on europe users, you will have to use TWRP.
It is up to you if you want official rom or use custom. By the way, after unlocking, it is easy to go back to official global rom and relock bootloader.

well, i updated to the rom suggested after changing region to India. i did see whilst looking through them that there are some more regions added but still no United Kingdom. anyway, before trying anything else, i'll see how the phone runs for a while and post back if i need further help. tnx for advice given so far.
the regions missing seems like such a stupid mistake by Xiaomi.i wonder why they did it? hard to call a phone an 'international model' when you cant set it to where you live! i sure hope that the next update adds the regions missing atm

got another question, guys. dont know if i should start a new thread. if i ask first and you tell me i need to do that, i will.
anyway, i haven't unlocked the bootloader or anything and the phone is obviously therefore running the latest, official rom. when i plug the phone into my pc via usb cable, it doesn't show any folders or files. if i open up es file explorer, i can see a few but i want to add some ringtones to the phone. how can i do that? it doesn't even show any 'Internal Storage' etc so cant just drag and drop the folder i want on to the phone. have i got to try to go down the 'unlocking the bootloader' root? if so, what do i do afterwards, if successful?

Many TIA again guys

from another post....

You must have the phone unlocked and set it to MTP

You can get there by swiping down and clicking on *usb for charging; touch for more options*