Xiaomi questions

Eduardo Sousa

Members
Mar 9, 2013
First of all hello...

I recently bougth my Xiaomi Mi2 form merimobiles and I have a few questions.

Info about the phone in settings:
Device name: Xiaomi phone​
Model Number: MI 2​
Android Version: 4.1.1 JR003L​
MIUI VERSION: MIUI-3.3.8​
CPU: Quad-Core1.5GHz​
RAM: 2.00GB​
Internal Memory: 26.37GB (Available) 32.00GB (Total)​
Baseband version: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.128017​
Kernel version: 3.4.0-g52db9c3-00924-gd1b185c​

I installed the rom from roms page http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/3-3-8.19782/ in order to have google play. So now I have MIUI-3.3.8.

So the first question is Does this rom have OTA updates? Or do I need to change it to the one that came with the phone MIUI12(something) to have them?
The second question is I intend to install JLB stock I download it from here http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/stock-jellybean-4-1-1-on-xiaomi-m2-is-available.18969/ and install it from Updater app. But the touch screen does not work. So I searched a little bit more and found out that Xiaomi Mi2 has two partitions and the question is why is there two partitons and how can I use them?
The third question is can I have MIUI and Stock installed at the same time (Like dual boot) I dont think so but I need confirmation.

Finally how can I install stock on my Xiaomi Mi2 and get the touch screen working!
PS: I know there is a thread with this but it is a little bit confusing.

Hope that some one can help me. Thank you.

1. Rom does not have OTA updates for now. To update miuiandroid rom you have to download weekly release and put it in memor. Then you simply update via Updater app and choose miuiandroid rom zip.
2. Yes Mi2 has 2 system partitions.
3. No. Mi2 is NOT a dual boot system. You cant get working aosp and MIUI because they share common /data partition. 2 systems are only for updating roms without going into recovery.
Unless ... you install Lennox OS from miuiaustralia.com. Lenny made a special version of stock rom that uses different /data partition than MIUI. So its possible to have 2 systems (MIUI and stock android).
But for details you would have to read instructions over miuiaustralia.

Thanks for your answer .

I still have some questions about this rom and the stock one.

1) Is there any one that did a battery life test with both stock and MIUI? What is better stock or MIUI?
2) IS there anything that does not work on stock that does in MIUI 3.3.8? And is there anything that works on stock that does not in MIUI 3.3.8?
3) The phone came with a rom MIUI 12.(something). Is there a difference for the one in this site 3.3.8?
4) Is there a way to put google now on the locked screen on MIUI 3.3.8?
5) Where can I get info about new versions of the rom MIUI 3.3.8? If i update it will I loose the apps and data? Is there a way to get a notification on the phone?
6) Is there a another place to get themes for MIUI how can I build one? I would like one with stock icons.

Thanks for the help.

Eduardo Sousa

Well thanks to M1cha and his great work with CWM it's possible to install MIUI and AOSP in Mi-2 fully working, just read the post for instructions. I'll try to answer your questions.

1) Best battery life i've got with WIUI (variant ROM based in MIUI also avaliable in this forum)
2) I haven't found nothing yet thatt work in one ROM or other.
3) Probably your Mi-2 (as everyone else) came with chinese ROM with some minor diferences as well the GPS not working outside China, the Mi Market thee weather app that dosen't work outside of china. These things are removed and fixed by the team on this forum.
4) I'm still searching for this too, if I anyone knows please share.
5) This is the best place to view updates for Mi-2 about ROM's. Updates if you do using the Updater app doesn't lose any data.
6) Themes you can find in the Themes App, in this site or Google.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

1) Best battery life i've got with WIUI (variant ROM based in MIUI also avaliable in this forum)
Were can I get that rom (WIUI). And what are the differences between MIUI and WIUI?
But MIUI 3.3.8 vs Stock Which has better battery life time?

4) I'm still searching for this too, if I anyone knows please share.
Yes indeed this would be a great feature for MIUI...

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Were can I get that rom (WIUI). And what are the differences between MIUI and WIUI?
But MIUI 3.3.8 vs Stock Which has better battery life time?

Yes indeed this would be a great feature for MIUI...

Eduardo Sousa

As I said in my previous post this ROM is also avaliable in this forum, use the search or even the index it's really organized, but anyway here is the link. The answers to your question about WIUI it's all inside the thread.

http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/rom-wiui-3-3-8-multilanguage-experimental-jlb7.19628

Sorry yes I should have used search...

One more question is it possible to change the shortcuts from the unlock slider?

Normally you can't.

But technically you can, but you would have to dig into lockscreen code: lockscreen/advance/manifest.xml and search for a "com." string that launches certain apps.

Reactions: dextructor
What do you mean by that?
A user name under Privacy app > Owner info?
Or Settings > About phone > Device name?

Sorry for the late response but I was busy working and did not have the time to come here to post the answer.

Thanks for the Ideas I solved the problem I do not know how but I did :s

I have Yet (Yes sorry) another question.

On the Rom I have installed MIUI VERSION: MIUI-3.3.8 I did a ccheck for updates on the Updater App and it told me that It has a new version, version 3.3.15 (Weekly Build) but in the web site the latest is the 3.329 http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/3-3-29.19938/

So were does the updater app get its info?

Sorry for the late response but I was busy working and did not have the time to come here to post the answer.

Thanks for the Ideas I solved the problem I do not know how but I did :s

I have Yet (Yes sorry) another question.

On the Rom I have installed MIUI VERSION: MIUI-3.3.8 I did a ccheck for updates on the Updater App and it told me that It has a new version, version 3.3.15 (Weekly Build) but in the web site the latest is the 3.329 http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/3-3-29.19938/

So were does the updater app get its info?
Actually sometimes ota can't update your phone to latest release if your Rom version is old (may be they support up to three weeks ) so you have to update in two or more steps depending how old your rom is, or you can install full latest rom directly

Sent from Teclast A10t using TapaTalk HD

ok so If i update to 3.3.15 (Weekly Build) if i check for another update it shoul show that there is another update (possibly 3.3.29).

Is that correct?

I did the update from MIUI-3.3.8 to 3.3.15 (Weekly Build) using the updater app and now if i check for new updates it does not find one...

I did the update from MIUI-3.3.8 to 3.3.15 (Weekly Build) using the updater app and now if i check for new updates it does not find one...
use goomanager for checking to updates... Updater app is not working yet.. we are still working on it...

I simply downloaded the roms and installed them manually. But thanks for all the inputs.

I found some problems with my phone that I wish to know if there are solutions:
  • When I use the SMS app and rotate the phone the text that I am writing overlaps the name of the contact I am sending the message is there any thing that I need to do to fix this?
  • Is there a way to configure the phone app to use t9 dialing that puts the most used contact on top? (Like exDialer from market)
  • And finally Is there a way to assign volume to apps? Instead of all apps?
Thanks for the answers you might give...

I simply downloaded the roms and installed them manually. But thanks for all the inputs.

I found some problems with my phone that I wish to know if there are solutions:
  • When I use the SMS app and rotate the phone the text that I am writing overlaps the name of the contact I am sending the message is there any thing that I need to do to fix this?
  • Is there a way to configure the phone app to use t9 dialing that puts the most used contact on top? (Like exDialer from market)
  • And finally Is there a way to assign volume to apps? Instead of all apps?
Thanks for the answers you might give...

Eduardo Sousa

If anyone answer your questions might be because they don't know yet. I'll try to answer:

1) It's really a graphic bug SMS in landscape mode, as far I've searched there's nothing to do, so wait for Xiaomi fix this.

2)The organization of T9 dialer I never used in this mode that you are asking. And if you already know a program to do that use it.:cool:

3)So far in other devices I've used in android 4.2.2 the volume is general, not assigned to a specific program. It should be an Android feature, not Xiaomi.

Thanks for your answers...
1) It's really a graphic bug SMS in landscape mode, as far I've searched there's nothing to do, so wait for Xiaomi fix this.
Is there a petition to fix this? They know about it?

The organization of T9 dialer I never used in this mode that you are asking. And if you already know a program to do that use it.:cool:
Thanks any way I was under the impression that the dialer of MIUI was the exDialer. I am not really a fan of installing apps to overrun the system ones.
So far in other devices I've used in android 4.2.2 the volume is general, not assigned to a specific program. It should be an Android feature, not Xiaomi.
Thanks anyway.

Eduardo Sousa

1)Since this is NOT an official forum you should try to submit your petition to fix it

2)This is the beauty of any Android build to customize it the way you like, for example I replaced the launcher and the keyboard.

Hello, colleagues,

I have a problem in SMS messaging (Xiaomi Mi-2S). It recognizes sms from the same number (where one instance has country code and one does not) as being from different numbers and also it doesn't match the number with the contact name. E.g. (+37529) 1234567 not equal (8029) 1234567.

Do you have some solution for this issue?