New 12.5.10 some recent apps not open

The issue seems to happen only with third party launcher. Swapping to default launcher and back to third party one should fix the problem for a while.

As a workaround I managed to create a tasker shortcut that does that and hides my nav bar for third party gesture navigation. The task A1 is the important one to fix recents menu temporarily:

Code:
    Task: Hide Navigation Bar

A1: Go Home [
         Page: 0
         Package: com.miui.home ]

A2: Custom Setting [
         Type: Global
         Name: force_fsg_nav_bar
         Value: 1 ]

This does not work for me.
I have a POCO F3 by the way.

@ZedeN, I am owner of Mi 10T and the problem with missing previews/freezing apps in Recent apps is very annoying.
Reading your instructions, I must buy Tasker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=bg&gl=US) and perform the code, is that correct?
You can use Tasker or any other software of the sort, there are a few different options, some are free.
I think macrodroid can do the same thing but I haven't tried it and don't use it.

This does not work for me.
I have a POCO F3 by the way.

Are you on beta or stable? Also does switching to default launcher fix the recents for you?

I think Xiaomi only fixed the issue for default launcher in 21.8.18 beta onwards. The tasker workaround I posted earlier is just a very simple switch to the default launcher for a split second, and if switching to default launcher does not help you, then tasker won't either.

Anyway I created a short video showing how to add the task to tasker and that it works on Mi11 Ultra 12.8.18 beta using Nova Launcher 7.0.45 BETA.

In addition to the instructions in the video, you will need to provide tasker with relevant permissions (possibly root needed, can't test without it).

This workaround will only work if recent apps work fine with the default system launcher and the bug is present only with 3rd party launchers.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Anyway I created a short video showing how to add the task to tasker and that it works on Mi11 Ultra 12.8.18 beta using Nova Launcher 7.0.45 BETA.

In addition to the instructions in the video, you will need to provide tasker with relevant permissions (possibly root needed, can't test without it).

This workaround will only work if recent apps work fine with the default system launcher and the bug is present only with 3rd party launchers.
Thank you!

Reactions: topoinol
Same problem for just released Redmi K20 stable MIUI V12.5.1 (xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK20MI9T_V12.5.1.0.RFJCNXM_v12-11.zip)
Third party Nova launcher 7.0.45 BETA. Irregularly non working recent apps.

Tasker hack working here too.

Edit:
Btw error directly forceable by setting theme to standard.
If theme statusbar is set to something different the error seems to not come back after one "fix recents" task execution. At least one day without error happening.

Seems like there is something true with that comment from post 5
Men you need choose other THEME or in theme aplication choose other Control Center customization is miui 12 original theme bug
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/12-5-10-some-recent-apps-not-open.62666/post-623702

Happy too early. Just had that error again. Hack still irregularly needed

Last edited:

Thank you so much man really appreciate it ❤️

Hi,
I also have the problem with the Poco F3 / Redmi K40. Use the Nova Launcher, but have the same problem with the Stock Launcher!
MIUI version 12.5.6

Nova support said that it is not the launcher. This probably does not intervene there.
After switching between launchers, it works for a short moment.

Nova Launcher Prime is set to default launcher but when I click on task icon bring me back to MIUI launcher. Very strange because yesterday works fine.

Stopping battery optimisation solved the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrMcFly and Gholiad
Just reiterating what was said in the past several months: as of Android 11, the Recents panel and the Full Screen Gestures are inseparable parts of MIUI launcher, and their support for third-party launchers is abysmal, to say the least, and are tied to MIUI launcher's main activity, violating AOSP's design standards for these components. We can't recode the whole launcher, you should demand that from Xiaomi.

Just reiterating what was said in the past several months: as of Android 11, the Recents panel and the Full Screen Gestures are inseparable parts of MIUI launcher, and their support for third-party launchers is abysmal, to say the least, and are tied to MIUI launcher's main activity, violating AOSP's design standards for these components. We can't recode the whole launcher, you should demand that from Xiaomi.
But shouldn't the MIUI Launcher at least work with the Recent Apps?

But shouldn't the MIUI Launcher at least work with the Recent Apps?
What should or should not is up to Xiaomi, we fix what we can, but most issues are not something we can fix. The MIUI launcher is being updated by Xiaomi quite often, so they can still improve it.

Good evening, everyone! I watched the video by @ZedeN and I did everything, but when I click on the icon of Tasker it brings me to default Xiaomi's launcher then I must choose Nova Prime and every time again. What is wrong with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gholiad
Hi
Nova Prime is set as the default launcher, all permissions are given. Battery optimization is disabled. The task I was created by @ZedeN's tutorial brings the stock launcher. I have the same problem as @tatoqasen and @topoinol.
Hope someone help soon because It is very annoying.

Reactions: lurkingintheforest
Try adding an additional task after stock launcher to go home to nova launcher @Gholiad @tatoqasen @topoinol

If that doesn't work try adding a task to Launch Nova.

I don't get the same issue as you so can't test / figure out a solution for it.

Code:
    Task: Fix Recents

A1: Go Home [
         Package: com.miui.home ]

A2: Go Home [
         Package: com.teslacoilsw.launcher ]
IMG_20210906_111217.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I stumbled on this thread looking for a fix for this bug and I think I found one for Nova Launcher. (Haven't run into it for the last few hours of use, but I'll give an update if the bug happens again. You could try it out and see if it works.)

Spec:
Poco F3
Nova Prime 7
MIUI by Xiaomi.eu 12.5.6 Stable

Set Launcher to Default (Settings > Home Screen > Default Launcher > System Launcher )
Set Theme to Default (Themes App> My Account >Themes > Default > Apply)
Turn on Gestures (Settings > Search "System Navigation" > Select Gestures instead of Buttons)
You should see the gesture bar at the bottom.
Switch to Nova Launcher (you should still have a gesture bar at this point.)
While you're in Nova Launcher, turn off all Nova Gesture (Nova Settings > Gesture & Input > Turn off everything).
Set the default launcher as Nova (while still in Nova.) This should get rid of the gesture bar and bring back the on-screen navigation. At this point, you can open Recent again without the disappearing bug.

Other:
I change my wallpaper through Nova Launcher (click and hold on home screen) and lock screen wallpaper through the Themes app, but changing the Lock screen style from any other theme causes the bug again. I can still use gestures (3 fingers to screenshot, double-tap to wake)

Idk if any of these make a difference but I use:
- Notification Shade > Android
- Control Center Style > Old version

Hope this works for someone else.

Reactions: rmesaric
@Lockjaw you're able to use gesture navigation all along?
from what i know, gesture navigation wasnt working for android 11 miui since the longest time..

@devalian90 Really? I used Button Navigation up until that point, but it was working with the default system launcher when I switched to Gesture. It was still functional on Nova until I set Nova as a default launcher.

@devalian90 Really? I used Button Navigation up until that point, but it was working with the default system launcher when I switched to Gesture. It was still functional on Nova until I set Nova as a default launcher.
interesting. i just tried your steps as well. the moment i set launcher default to nova, immediately miui switched to button navigation right away. :(

Reactions: Andrew733
interesting. i just tried your steps as well. the moment i set launcher default to nova, immediately miui switched to button navigation right away. :(
Yeah, that's what should happen when you set Nova as default. You either choose MIUI Launcher with Gesture Navigation or Nova with Button Navigation. Too bad we can't have both. Hopefully, it should get rid of the disappearing bug when you open Recent (as far as I know.) Other non-navigational gestures like screenshots and tap-to-wake are still functional in Nova.

Hey, I stumbled on this thread looking for a fix for this bug and I think I found one for Nova Launcher. (Haven't run into it for the last few hours of use, but I'll give an update if the bug happens again. You could try it out and see if it works.)

Spec:
Poco F3
Nova Prime 7
MIUI by Xiaomi.eu 12.5.6 Stable

Set Launcher to Default (Settings > Home Screen > Default Launcher > System Launcher )
Set Theme to Default (Themes App> My Account >Themes > Default > Apply)
Turn on Gestures (Settings > Search "System Navigation" > Select Gestures instead of Buttons)
You should see the gesture bar at the bottom.
Switch to Nova Launcher (you should still have a gesture bar at this point.)
While you're in Nova Launcher, turn off all Nova Gesture (Nova Settings > Gesture & Input > Turn off everything).
Set the default launcher as Nova (while still in Nova.) This should get rid of the gesture bar and bring back the on-screen navigation. At this point, you can open Recent again without the disappearing bug.

Other:
I change my wallpaper through Nova Launcher (click and hold on home screen) and lock screen wallpaper through the Themes app, but changing the Lock screen style from any other theme causes the bug again. I can still use gestures (3 fingers to screenshot, double-tap to wake)

Idk if any of these make a difference but I use:
- Notification Shade > Android
- Control Center Style > Old version

Hope this works for someone else.
I have a F2 Pro running 12.5.4. I also have the same problem and I can confirm this fixes it (even without turning all gestures to off). For how long we shall see.

By the way... one other way of forcing this bug to happen is by changing the font size.