Do you like this MIUI version?

• YES

Votes: 283 74.7%
  • NO

Votes: 96 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me share my experiences with the last two ROMs available for my phone.

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 SD (Mido)
ROMs: 8.8.2 and 8.8.9 (8.8.16 suspended, you know)

I did some experiements with both ROMs.

Both are performing really good in terms of responsiveness, smoothness, RAM management, et cetere - basically both are good ROMs.
So. Unfortunately I had too much time so I started to test both versions, in a "kinda' lab environment". This means, that both has been installed with clean install, sat in the same place, same conditions in terms of radio environment (both WLAN (802.11n @2.4GHz, 40MHz channel bandwidth, channel 11, no other APs are around, signal is strong, SNR is high) and GSM (set to 3G, signal is strong)), same accounts has been added, same things were syncronized, same apps has been installed.. et cetera. Both has been tested in an 8 hours period, 7 hours idle time and 1 hour video playback in VLC (same video file (MP4, 720p), same source (SD card), same backlight settings (40%)).

Results:
8.8.2:

7 hours idle: ~3.5% drop in battery
1h video: 7% drop in battery

8.8.9:
7 hours idle: 7% drop in battery.
1h video: 9% drop in battery

I did these tests 3 times in a row.

I used both roms for 2 charge cycles and the general usage was the same but 8.8.9 draining a bit more in idle than 8.8.2. I don't know how can I produce written evidence about this (I think I still have a bugreport from 8.8.2 & 8.8.9 too, so one can check it in Battery Historian, but I did and there's no difference between the usage, only the battery drainage is different.. the figures are getting lower in 8.8.9 much quickly, almost twice).

I know this is not a 100% controlled test but still: shows differences.

Ah, and one more thing:
Under 8.8.9 doubletap to wake is working weird: after some time of idle (screen off) it does not respond to double tap.. if I unlock the phone and lock it again it is working again, for a while (~30mins), then stops again.. not responding.

Cheers.

low wifi signal ( redmi note 3pro ).
I have no such problem on my Kenzo... Clean installed previous version and then dirty flashed this update.

Battery seems pretty good, thank you devs :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-22-13-27-14-140_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-22-13-27-14-140_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 344
  • Screenshot_2018-08-22-13-27-07-060_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-22-13-27-07-060_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    54 KB · Views: 358
  • Screenshot_2018-08-22-13-27-00-247_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-22-13-27-00-247_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 362
Hello,
I have the Mi 8 - originally, the global stable ROM 9.5 was installed.
In the Global Stable ROM (MIUI 9.5), there was an option to schedule the activation for the "Always On Display".
Eg activate the always-on display at 7 AM and disable at 10PM.
Is it possible to implement this feature also in the xiaomi.eu ROM?
All other features are working very well using the xiaomi.eu ROM on the MI 8 - thanks for your work! :)
That settings screen is still available in the MIUI 10 China ROM's code, but they have hidden it.
I will unhide it and will need you to see whether it even works under MIUI 10.
Is that OK?

Both are performing really good in terms of responsiveness, smoothness, RAM management, et cetere - basically both are good ROMs.
So. Unfortunately I had too much time so I started to test both versions, in a "kinda' lab environment". This means, that both has been installed with clean install, sat in the same place, same conditions in terms of radio environment (both WLAN (802.11n @2.4GHz, 40MHz channel bandwidth, channel 11, no other APs are around, signal is strong, SNR is high) and GSM (set to 3G, signal is strong)), same accounts has been added, same things were syncronized, same apps has been installed.. et cetera. Both has been tested in an 8 hours period, 7 hours idle time and 1 hour video playback in VLC (same video file (MP4, 720p), same source (SD card), same backlight settings (40%)).

Results:
8.8.2:

8.8.9:

I used both roms for 2 charge cycles and the general usage was the same but 8.8.9 draining a bit more in idle than 8.8.2. I don't know how can I produce written evidence about this (I think I still have a bugreport from 8.8.2 & 8.8.9 too, so one can check it in Battery Historian, but I did and there's no difference between the usage, only the battery drainage is different.. the figures are getting lower in 8.8.9 much quickly, almost twice).

Ah, and one more thing:
Under 8.8.9 doubletap to wake is working weird: after some time of idle (screen off) it does not respond to double tap.. if I unlock the phone and lock it again it is working again, for a while (~30mins), then stops again.. not responding.

Cheers.
Great to see that you have taken time to run and document proper test sequences.

WELL DONE!

That settings screen is still available in the MIUI 10 China ROM's code, but they have hidden it.
Is that OK?

Would be nice, i can test it too, my unlock time is near end.... only 8 hours left :) and then i'll switch my MI 8 to xiaomi.eu rom

Is that OK?
That's ok - just let me know, if and when I should test it.
Thank you!

Gesendet von meinem MI 8 mit Tapatalk

Is that OK?

Hello Igor,
This is a long shot, but just in case there's some code hidden for it also: it's about the notification reminder for text messages. We have it for phone calls but not existing for text messages. Right now I'm using the "Missed Notifications Reminder" for that purpose, but it would be great if MIUI could handle it on its own.
Thanks a lot.
(I have a whyred)

Since 2 or 3 updates I can't download with the updater app.
After I click download it says that the updater app has crashed.

I need to manually flash with twrp.
Mi 6 user.

Ah, and one more thing:

Cheers.[/QUOTE]
I agree! The same thing happens with Mi5s. After a while in the pocket of the shirt, the double touch stops working. This failure occurs from Miui 10

Estoy de acuerdo! A mi me pasa lo mismo con Mi5s. Después de un tiempo en el bolsillo de la camisa, ya deja de funcionar el doble toque. Este fallo ocurre desde Miui 10

Hi. What's wrong with the camera? I do also a clean install with no luck. Mi8.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-10-09-845_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-10-09-845_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 370
  • Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-10-07-945_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-10-07-945_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 335
  • Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-09-52-667_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-09-52-667_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-10-01-022_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-10-01-022_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-09-56-215_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-21-18-09-56-215_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    57 KB · Views: 320
Hello Igor,
This is a long shot, but just in case there's some code hidden for it also: it's about the notification reminder for text messages. We have it for phone calls but not existing for text messages. Right now I'm using the "Missed Notifications Reminder" for that purpose, but it would be great if MIUI could handle it on its own.
Thanks a lot.
(I have a whyred)
If it wasn't in MIUI 9, then it doesn't exist on MIUI 10 as well.
Since 2 or 3 updates I can't download with the updater app.
After I click download it says that the updater app has crashed.

I need to manually flash with twrp.
Mi 6 user.
Clear data for Updater app.

Reactions: Bunbury
That's ok - just let me know, if and when I should test it.
Thank you!
Would be nice, i can test it too, my unlock time is near end.... only 8 hours left :) and then i'll switch my MI 8 to xiaomi.eu rom
I've prepared a test ZIP for you. You should see that the Always on display setting changed to the way it was in MIUI 9.
Try using the schedule and tell me if it works for you.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z3ylhlp6cc98kkn/AODTest_MI8_8.8.16.flashable.zip/file

Ah, and one more thing:
I agree! The same thing happens with Mi5s. After a while in the pocket of the shirt, the double touch stops working. This failure occurs from Miui 10
Try disabling "Pocket mode" in Settings -> Lock screen & password -> Advanced settings.

Last edited:

Results:
8.8.2:

8.8.9:

Ah, and one more thing:

Cheers.
A question.
On my mido Redmi Note 4x (on Dutch language) I am missing one an one thing only. I have no Cell Broadcast or Emergency Messages. Do you have it?
Screenshot_2018-08-10-23-56-03-336_com.android.settings.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-10-23-56-12-272_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-10-23-56-12-272_com.android.settings.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 348
I've prepared a test ZIP for you. You should see that the Always on display setting changed to the way it was in MIUI 9.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z3ylhlp6cc98kkn/AODTest_MI8_8.8.16.flashable.zip/file

Try disabling "Pocket mode" in Settings -> Lock screen & password -> Advanced settings.
Thanks for the File - I'll try today in the evening and give you a feedback!
One question on this: do I have to be on the 8.8.16 release or does it also work with the 8.8.9? I didn't update yet because of the force close issue with the german language^^

Thanks for the File - I'll try today in the evening and give you a feedback!
One question on this: do I have to be on the 8.8.16 release or does it also work with the 8.8.9? I didn't update yet because of the force close issue with the german language^^

I don't know. You can try, but I can't guarantee that Settings app won't crash.

Blur effect on photo's

I'm sorry if asked before but i cant find this on Mi 8 SE , isnt it present at all or just not for se or only not on mine?

El modo bolsillo no se desactiva, es un es un bug. Aunque desactive el modo bolsillo, sigue apagándose la pantalla en el bolsillo. Para comprobarlo, haz lo siguiente: apaga la pantalla y después tapa con el dedo el sensor de proximidad. Ahora, mientras está tapado el sensor, haz doble tap en la pantalla. No se enciende. Por lo tanto desactivar el modo bolsillo no sirve para nada
Pocket mode is not disabled, it is a bug. Even if you turn off pocket mode, the screen keeps dimming in your pocket. To check, do the following: turn off the screen and then cover the proximity sensor with your finger. Now, while the sensor is covered, double tap on the screen. It does not turn on. Therefore turning off pocket mode is useless

I don't know. You can try, but I can't guarantee that Settings app won't crash.
Nah, sh***
Doesn't work with my 8.8.9 version... Settings app crashes as you said...
Is there any other user with a mi8 and the actual ROM installed, who could test Igor's update?

Nah, sh***
Is there any other user with a mi8 and the actual ROM installed, who could test Igor's update?

PMed you.

Hi. What's wrong with the camera? I do also a clean install with no luck. Mi8.
I have the same problem. I do a day only 10-15 photos, and goes to the camera 20-25%.
camera used today only 5 minutes, and it took 16%

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-22-20-11-03-066_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-22-20-11-03-066_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Nah, sh***

i can unlock and install xiaomi.eu in about 3/4 hours (my remaining unlock time), when installed i'll try this patch.

El modo bolsillo no se desactiva, es un es un bug. Aunque desactive el modo bolsillo, sigue apagándose la pantalla en el bolsillo. Para comprobarlo, haz lo siguiente: apaga la pantalla y después tapa con el dedo el sensor de proximidad. Ahora, mientras está tapado el sensor, haz doble tap en la pantalla. No se enciende. Por lo tanto desactivar el modo bolsillo no sirve para nada
Pocket mode is not disabled, it is a bug. Even if you turn off pocket mode, the screen keeps dimming in your pocket. To check, do the following: turn off the screen and then cover the proximity sensor with your finger. Now, while the sensor is covered, double tap on the screen. It does not turn on. Therefore turning off pocket mode is useless
Try to disable the Non-interactive mode in Settings/Battery and performance/Scenes/Non-interactive mode to see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.