New [8.9.6][Mi Max 3] System apps crash (ThemeManager/Weather/key_network_assistant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itay123

Members
Sep 9, 2018
Since updating my Mi Max 3 to the latest weekly, I encountered crushes in several system apps of the miui.
Immediately after booting the device, (after updating with updater app from 8.8.23 to 8.8.30 and immediately to 8.9.6) the weather app "stops working" with the following error (img attached).
After opening the settings, there is a weird bar at the top with "OK", "Cancel" buttons, nothing happens when clicked (img attached), never saw it before.
When in power usage, clicking screen usage to see screen on time, it crashes the "key_network_assistant" with an error "you need to use a miui theme (or descendant) with this activity" (img attached).
The theme manager app crashes with the same error.

I tried removing the custom theme I used (which was not entirely compatible with miui10), by deleting the contents of /data/system/theme,theme_magic, and it resets the theme correctly to the default theme, but the errors persist.
Previously in 8.8.23 I had none of these problems.

Tried to flash 8.9.6 again, and to reboot the device several times, it did not help.

Please fix the issue... or tell me what I've been doing wrong..

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-28-58-737_com.miui.bugreport.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-28-58-737_com.miui.bugreport.png
    313.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-30-07-102_com.miui.bugreport.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-30-07-102_com.miui.bugreport.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-30-45-015_com.miui.bugreport.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-30-45-015_com.miui.bugreport.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-31-05-938_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-09-09-01-31-05-938_com.android.settings.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 233
Not exactly a bug. It's a common glitch for certain users. Your only option at this point is a factory reset with TWRP.

Not exactly a bug. It's a common glitch for certain users. Your only option at this point is a factory reset with TWRP.

Thanks for the reply..
Do you have an idea for what differentiates the users it happens to?
The next time I want to update, there is something I can do to minimize the risk of having to factory reset afterwards?

It is not optimal to be having to install everything from scratch frequently...

Thanks for the reply..
The next time I want to update, there is something I can do to minimize the risk of having to factory reset afterwards?

Nothing differentiates that we could find. It's not optimal, but then - it's a Beta ROM - can't face the risk, you shouldn't update.

Thanks for the reply..

Then you should select to use a STABLE ROM and accept that using developer ROMS are considered EXPERIMENTAL by definition, therefore as @Igor Eisberg said don't update if you can't accept risks :)

My device is on 8.8.6 and when I tried updating over the air it says latest update is already installed, how can I update?

My device is on 8.8.6 and when I tried updating over the air it says latest update is already installed, how can I update?
I encountered the same issue.
You need to download the rom from the browser and then choose it in the updater app in the "choose update package" option.

I encountered the same issue.
You need to download the rom from the browser and then choose it in the updater app in the "choose update package" option.
Then it will update the version without any problem?

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

For me it worked perfectly at first when updated to 8.8.23 but when updating to 8.9.6 it caused the issue above...

You may prefer to wait for a stable rom. Also note, you may activate anti rollback when updating, and you will not be able to revert the version without bricking the device.

You may prefer to wait for a stable rom. Also note, you may activate anti rollback when updating, and you will not be able to revert the version without bricking the device.
Isn't 8.9.6 V2 is the stable version and global ROM?

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

no.. its beta version and modified chinese (xiaomi.eu) rom

I downloaded the rom file here on this website and put it on the root of my phone and choose to update file from the updater and nothing happens..

Status
Not open for further replies.