Android 5.0 is going to be 64 bit !!!

manohar

Members
Jun 6, 2013
Hi guys, i am surprised by this confirmation.
Although Google hasn't made this news Official, but one of the Chip Manufacturer's Chief ( you guessed it right - It is none other than Mediatek ) has confirmed this news in an Interview for Tech radar reporter.

It is also said that Google is going to announce this 64bit Android 5.0 SDK in Q3 of 2014 !
I am drooling. and at the same time i feel pity for my Mi2S also, as it should find its way out of my Pocket.

I am sorry that i couldn't get any specific link to this source of info. But it is True.

You can also share your views & ideas about this News/ Rumor if you feel it is....
Would you guys buy a new phone with 64 bit just because the Technology is changing & we must cope up with it or you would prefer to stay happy with your current devices ?

Share your opinions here. I opened this thread because i am bored of seeing the same ROM thread getting little or no updates from the past 1 month... If you feel i made a grave mistake, then mods pls move it to the right section... Thanks for your understanding.

They have to give us a reason to buy new phones =)
Anyway, I don't think i'll buy the first generation of 64 bits phones, I'll wait for the technology to be well used and known to buy a new phone.
Ps: Thanks Manohar for sharing with your info

I've read somewhere 64bit code is already pushed to AOSP a few weeks ago

I've also read rumours on a dutch site which says that the new Nexus will be on 64 bit. So that would be in line..
Unless.. There are also lots of rumours that we will first have Android 4.5. So if the new Nexus will be released together with Android 4.5, and the new Nexus is 64 bit. Android 4,5 will already be 64 bit.

So there is no telling what will happen

I read that the 4.5 will come with the new Nexus tablet; so most probably 5.0 and 64 bits will come with new Nexus phone.

64bit support may make sense only if Android 5 will try to replace Windows/Linux/OSX in the new pc/tablet market.
It's completely useless on phones that have less than 4GB of ram to address.

Not really.
Just as a refreshing off topic news, i wanted to collect opinions of Mi2 users what they think about 64 bit future smart Phones.
Do they forget about Mi2 and buy 64bit or Mi2/2S is just enough for them ?
I didn't know where to post this question. Hence i started a thread here.

That's true, everyone can say this, look at aosp gerrit, there are tons of commits about x64

Inviato dal mio MI 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Then any idea when 5.0 is going to be released this year ?
Also are they going to maintain it an single OS for both Tablet & Smartphone or it will be available in 2 versions ?
I am just talking about possibilities here....

Probably released june or oktober as usual.
IF it's called android 5.0 anyway.
Could just be 4.5