New Android keyboard buggy landscape mode, SMS app design mistakes

koaebk

Members
Feb 12, 2013
Hey there. I am using miui english rom version 3.7.12 on a Galaxy S2 (I9100) and I have to report some different bugs but first of all a question, why isn't the android keyboard included by default anymore?

Now the bugs:

1)
In landscape mode the sms header is kind of broken, you can see the right part is another size and overlapping.

iGHZe-at7GyZZiLDadwgnVAuDXwk2jX_yn9S7-Q1XfE

2) In the sms overview the alignment of the categories is weird, it should be more centered or atleast with some space between the left side and the text.

Wou54HNryjMQtQNYPDxSDnrelwN6QhbVQtNSxj_wim4

3) If I use the android keyboard in landscape more for some reason the space around the send button disappears.

2ik9kEr6m7xfOhD9_welU-0W97k5x7iOSTbkmFRIjvg

4) More and more often the keyboard does not disappear if I go back to homescreen after writing a message, then I have to press the back key.

bIwVwNMk_lT43XTZ02s5M0lHsQzm90CLdg9O5_X84Bg

It would be awesome if you know some solutions for these problems. :)

Answer for all sms questions are simple:
MIUI SMS app doesn't have landscape orientation. Its just our small hack in AndroidManifest that enables screen rotation. Its just a feature. The app itself is not designed to landscape.

Although the app looks better on xhdpi devices like Mi2.

Wysłane z Xiaomi MI 2

Okay thank you for your answer. Then, only the keyboard problem is left. I noticed this problem since the july versions, but I'm not totally sure.

Okay thank you for your answer. Then, only the keyboard problem is left. I noticed this problem since the july versions, but I'm not totally sure.

we have to remove AOSP keyboard because ROM for S2 is oversized and don't fit /system partition which leads to bootloop after installation... so to save some space, we are including only samsung keyboard... if you want any other, install it from Google Play...

ah okay, nice to know. I also noticed the not disappearing keyboard is only in landscape mode so I assume the landscape mode is the only problem which affects any other issue.

Last question for today, is there any way to reverse your hack, so I can disable landscape for sms app?

ah okay, nice to know. I also noticed the not disappearing keyboard is only in landscape mode so I assume the landscape mode is the only problem which affects any other issue.

Last question for today, is there any way to reverse your hack, so I can disable landscape for sms app?

sure.. disable screen rotation...

Ah come on, troll answer. I guess you know I was searching for a solution to just disable it in that single app without being forced to do it manually every time I need it. If I knew which file/lines I have to edit I guess I could do it on my own.

It's not possible unless you revert to stock AndroidManifest file.

Wysłane z Xiaomi MI 2

To add rotation for Mms.apk:
  1. open AndroidManifest.xml before recompilation
  2. search for
    Code:
    android:screenOrientation="portrait"
    and just remove all occurences in that file. If youre familiar with linux then you do sed:
    Code:
    sed -i -e 's/android:screenOrientation="portrait"//' AndroidManifest.xml
  3. then save the file. And recompile mms.apk
  4. then after recompile move AndroidManifest.xml from /build/apk into main mm.apk using 7za command:
    Code:
    7za u -mx0 -tzip Mms.apk AndroidManifest.xml
  5. then you must sign that apk because MIUI uses testkey to sign system apps. Without sign Mms.apk will be missing when you boot into rom.
    Code:
    java -Xmx4096m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 Mms.apk Mms_signed.apk
Thats all.
But I wont teach about apktool, decompile, recompile, sign or 7za :) Because this is common knowledge found in google.