Anybody tried encryption on Android 10 stable with Mix2S?

hoehm

Members
Jan 21, 2019
Wondering if anybody has installed the stable Android 10 version for Mix2S and encrypted the phone? Is it still good to go if I change the fstab.qcom file in TWRP after flashing the ROM?

Wondering if anybody has installed the stable Android 10 version for Mix2S and encrypted the phone? Is it still good to go if I change the fstab.qcom file in TWRP after flashing the ROM?
Yes, without a working TWRP at encryption level, the only solution is to trip fstab as we were doing before.
That perfectly work on android 10.
Already Checked on MI8 and MI8SE.. May be many more people can confirm it as well.
No hope to have an updated TWRP release for these "old" phone model.

Reactions: hoehm
It is located in vendor/etc folder.
You must MOUNT vendor before to see it.
Thanks a lot! I have tried many methods in about 2 days and finally failed. Now I succeed to encrypt it with your help.

My device is MIX 2S and (with MIUI.eu beta version MIMix2S_20.1.21_v11-10, not stable version). Modification to fstab.qcom works well.

Reactions: LOLO9393
Thanks a lot! I have tried many methods in about 2 days and finally failed. Now I succeed to encrypt it with your help.

My device is MIX 2S and (with MIUI.eu beta version MIMix2S_20.1.21_v11-10, not stable version). Modification to fstab.qcom works well.
Best to use the fencrypt.zip file to be flashed after any rom update.
You have a story about this to read there:
Change the fsatb file or try it like it is. I am almost sure they are very similar.

Best to use the fencrypt.zip file to be flashed after any rom update.
You have a story about this to read there:
Change the fsatb file or try it like it is. I am almost sure they are very similar.
Thanks. I enable encryption by modifying fstab.qcom file manually. Now the encryption works.
(I also checked the thread you give, and create my fencrypt.zip for MIX2S. Maybe it can be used for the next time)

Has anyone tried to modify fstab in new releases? Modification in 20.2.20 and earlier causes reboot to twrp for me.

Edit: It works after edit fstab, format data and boots :)

Last edited:
Could one of you post a short Tutorial on how this can be done. It bugged me, that every Mi device i rooted with magisk is at least encrypted except for my Mix 2S.
A quick tutorial would be highly appreciated.

2nd thought: Why does EU-Rom not come encrypted in the first place?

Has anyone tried to modify fstab in new releases? Modification in 20.2.20 and earlier causes reboot to twrp for me.

Edit: It works after edit fstab, format data and boots :)
Same happened to me (Mi8), but didn't format.
I'm pretty sure in MIUI11 this worked without formatting data.
Is there any way to enable encryption without format?
Is the procedure shown below still actual with MIUI12?

/system/vendor/etc/fstab.qcom" then change "[...] /data [...] encryptable=ice,quota" to "[...] fileencryption=ice,quota"

Reactions: mcschweg
Same happened to me (Mi8), but didn't format.
I'm pretty sure in MIUI11 this worked without formatting data.
Is there any way to enable encryption without format?
Is the procedure shown below still actual with MIUI12?

/system/vendor/etc/fstab.qcom" then change "[...] /data [...] encryptable=ice,quota" to "[...] fileencryption=ice,quota"
Anyone? Please help.
Even if it means formatting, could somebode veryfy the validity of the quoted procedure? Thank you.

You need to format data in order encrypt process start. We all tested that before. No way to turn around
So you Format Data and what else is left to do after installing eu.rom and Magisk? How can I activate the encryption, so that it sticks? Who has done it and succeeded and if so how?
Thank you for sharing.

So you Format Data and what else is left to do after installing eu.rom and Magisk? How can I activate the encryption, so that it sticks? Who has done it and succeeded and if so how?
Thank you for sharing.
Everything is explained along this thread.
After any rom update you have to flash forceencript.zip file again to modify Fstab.
BUT!
Did you try this official TWRP: It might support encryption.

Everything is explained along this thread.
After any rom update you have to flash forceencript.zip file again to modify Fstab.
BUT!
Did you try this official TWRP: It might support encryption.
Thank you for explaining. That sounds reasonable.
I would like to hear from someone first hand though what works and what not.
My setup takes some time and I do not want to ruin it for nice to have encryption that does not work in the end.

Thank you for explaining. That sounds reasonable.
I would like to hear from someone first hand though what works and what not.
My setup takes some time and I do not want to ruin it for nice to have encryption that does not work in the end.
You can, first, test this "new" TWRP. no risk to format your phone testing it.
Then up to you to decide for your safety....
I have left the subject, open for my MI8SE I don't have anymore ('given to a family relative).

You can, first, test this "new" TWRP. no risk to format your phone testing it.
Then up to you to decide for your safety....
I have left the subject, open for my MI8SE I don't have anymore ('given to a family relative).
Thanks! Ah, that explains why you are guessing.
Tell me one thing: if I test the encryption on twrp and it did NOT work, my data-partition will be lost also. Right?

Maybe someone go first, who still owns it. :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Ah, that explains why you are guessing.
Tell me one thing: if I test the encryption on twrp and it did NOT work, my data-partition will be lost also. Right?

Maybe someone go first, who still owns it. :)
I repeat, again:
If you flash, boot, try TWRP it will not change, touch, erase or modify anything else in the phone.
Try to boot it first before installing it:
- fastboot boot "twrpname".img 'that will keep previous one in place.
OR
Flash it as image via your installed twrp and test if it encrypts at reboot. (should ask for your pin.

I repeat, again:
If you flash, boot, try TWRP it will not change, touch, erase or modify anything else in the phone.
Try to boot it first before installing it:
- fastboot boot "twrpname".img 'that will keep previous one in place.
OR
Flash it as image via your installed twrp and test if it encrypts at reboot. (should ask for your pin.
Thank you for the many ways. The methods of installing twrp is not my point. I will manage that. But the "test" encryption done by it.
If the system later struggles with it, that would be a potential loss, I guess?

So who has his mi mix 2S installation encrypted and how safely, that is my question.

Thank you for the many ways. The methods of installing twrp is not my point. I will manage that. But the "test" encryption done by it.
If the system later struggles with it, that would be a potential loss, I guess?

So who has his mi mix 2S installation encrypted and how safely, that is my question.
sorry! it is about MIX2S.
Take this TWRP to test and not MI8 I suggested because I stayed on MI8 thread.

sorry! it is about MIX2S.
Take this TWRP to test and not MI8 I suggested because I stayed on MI8 thread.
No Problem. The site twrrp.me is off course the place to go as source for recovery ;o)

Is the mi8 encrypted right away or did you probably try it via twrp, maybe?