Anyone Root?

eng333

Members
Oct 11, 2023
Has anyone been able to root their 14 (Ultra)?
How does that affect GPay and other banking apps?

I really only have one reason to root. I find the "privacy" green dot to be very annoying. It randomly turns on and is distracting like when you're reading something. I also like to do track recording so sometimes it will constantly be on. That gets annoying when you're trying to watch a movie. I also wonder if there might be some damage to the display if its always on. I THINK there is a way to disable it after rooting. I understand not giving apps the ability to turn this off but there should be a setting to allow users to turn it off, at least for specific apps.

SUGGESTION for ROM developers, add an option to disable ;)

Yes, rooted on 14 ultra EEA ROM. Main reason is because I like call recording, which is not available on Google phone app. I now use BCR for this.
I Pass safety net etc for gpay, banking apps and play protection. See screenshots for the modules I use. I do use kitsune magisk and lsposed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-09-19-21-28-829_org.freeandroidtools.safetynettest.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-09-19-21-28-829_org.freeandroidtools.safetynettest.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_2024-04-09-19-21-39-783_rikka.safetynetchecker.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-09-19-21-39-783_rikka.safetynetchecker.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_2024-04-09-18-33-46-469_com.android.vending.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-09-18-33-46-469_com.android.vending.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_2024-04-09-18-30-23-237_com.android.shell.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-09-18-30-23-237_com.android.shell.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_2024-04-09-19-24-55-815_gxj.goodvtdroya.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-09-19-24-55-815_gxj.goodvtdroya.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 99
Yes, rooted on 14 ultra EEA ROM. Main reason is because I like call recording, which is not available on Google phone app. I now use BCR for this.
I Pass safety net etc for gpay, banking apps and play protection. See screenshots for the modules I use. I do use kitsune magisk and lsposed.
How can I root 14 Ultra? I can install Magisk. ? Is TWRP released for 14 ultra?

Install magisk by APK, get init_boot.img, let it update it and then flash it back by fastboot. No twrp needed.

Back like a decade ago, I recall that it was a constant cat and mouse game and I had to reflash weekly or update magisk to keep up with google pay or other banking app updates detecting things. Is this still the case or are the "workarounds" able to make things work for pretty long periods of time.

Can you check if you are able to disable the "Green dot" while rooted? I don't want to go through the trouble and find out I still can't do it. (I think there is a magisk module)

As for call recording, aren't there other apps you can use that will allow for call recording?

Not found any working permanent green dot removal. A few work untill reboot and the only lsposed module does not work on A14. Annoying but no great loss by having it unless you want status bar real estate space back.
There are no good working non root call recorder. They all say they work but most only record your voice via mic and not callers unless the mic picks it up. With root BCR is the simplest way, ACR and SKVALEX work well with root but have more time in to the phone app itself. There is a magisk module that removes Google phone and installs the Xiaomi version. This is I wanted but it just does not install, always says no busy box (various versions) found, even though it is, so for me, it's BCR.

Not found any working permanent green dot removal. A few work untill reboot and the only lsposed module does not work on A14. Annoying but no great loss by having it unless you want status bar real estate space back.
I guess if it works until reboot, thats ok. I can easily setup a tasker task or something to reapply it on boot.
I find it very distracting. I also sometimes run apps that maintain GPS for long periods of time so it would basically be on for hours. I wonder if having it on so long might damage the screen

wonder if having it on so long might damage the screen
Are you really worried about the display being damaged? Why aren't you worried about other, more permanent icons (icons in the dock, signal, wifi, etc.)? I find the obsession with removing the little green dot ridiculous.

Reactions: Mark F
It is there for a reason. People moan about privacy yet moan more when they are notified about it. I would rather know an app is using sensitive parts of my phone than not.

Are you really worried about the display being damaged? Why aren't you worried about other, more permanent icons (icons in the dock, signal, wifi, etc.)? I find the obsession with removing the little green dot ridiculous.
I just said I "wonder" since it could be on for hours. At least the dock icons go away when you go full screen. To me, it's equiv to buying a TV and finding a green stuck pixel that is either constantly on or flashes at you randomly. I really just find it distracting and annoying. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean others dont or it's ridiculous. On a site devoted to custom ROMs, I think it would be clear that some people would like to CUSTOMize their phone more to get rid of annoyances.

It is there for a reason. People moan about privacy yet moan more when they are notified about it. I would rather know an app is using sensitive parts of my phone than not.
If you would like to know, that's fine. Other's don't care. It should be an option, not forced on you. If I'm recording a gps track, or using cellmapper/net monster or in the camera app, I know those are using GPS or camera, I don't need a green dot to be constantly be on to remind me. If some other random app decides to access location/mic, etc, it is obscured because the dot is already on. It would be alot more useful to have the ability to ignore specific apps that you obviously know are running in the background or foreground so it can tell you about the ones you don't expect. I'd find that useful. The way it's implemented now is pretty useless for me and a distraction. I've actually worked with human factors design. If you have an indicator that gives too many false alarms, it becomes an annoyance and masks real issues. Anyways, thanks for the info

So, You can pay via NFC from Google Wallet any shop? Thanks and regards

Currently yes, but they do keep changing things to stop you. Doesn't take long to get around it but if you rely on it, don't root or it will end up being a pain. I rarely use it, I use physical payment cards or cash.