Let's be honest - HyperOS is a *MESS*

Stuclark

Members
Dec 7, 2022
I've had Xiaomi devices for years now, along with Oppo and Vivo devices. I've now got a 13 Ultra and 14 Ultra, and I've got to be honest - the 14 Ultra is being returned to the retailer. Why???

HyperOS is simply a mess! It's removed a bunch of features that were in Miui 13 & 14 and has resulted in a ROM which makes draconian decissions for the user - a lot of which are simply horrendous!

Here's 2 cases in point: -

- WHY is it I can't have more than 3 notification icons any longer??? This used to work perfectly in Miui. It's even more annoying due to things like VoWiFi displaying TWO icons in the notificaton area - completely unnecessary!!!
- WHY can't I turn off the persistent location service notification reminder??? (the green dot next to the battery). Yes, I know which of my apps are constantly accessing GPS and I've allowed that. Now I want to turn off the icon so that Netflix, Youtube / any other full screen video displays propery; and more to the point - I want to avoid unnecessary screen burn in by constantly displaying a pointless green dot!!

I defy anyone to come up with sensible reasons for either of the behaviours above. Alas, I've also been unable to find any hacks or workarounds to modify this behaviour, and until that is possible, HyperOS remains a fairly useless, unusable OS. SHAME!

Partially agree.
No idea about the icon limit.

The green dot is an Android feature for privacy concerns to let you know if a background app is using location/camera/etc. This is the same for all phones with a new enough android. I agree it is annoying and there should be an option to disable it. Don't know if other mfrs offer a way. I read of a way to do it but it does not survive a reboot. I'm sure it can be done on a rooted phone

The green dot is an Android feature for privacy concerns to let you know if a background app is using location/camera/etc. This is the same for all phones with a new enough android. I agree it is annoying and there should be an option to disable it. Don't know if other mfrs offer a way. I read of a way to do it but it does not survive a reboot. I'm sure it can be done on a rooted phone

I'm well aware that it's an Android security feature. It was originally introduced (I think, from memory) in Android 12. However, *every other* manufacturer I've used, including others offering brand new Android 14 based phones, offer a way to either turn off or permanently hide this option so it does not cause UX, usability and potentially physical damage on their devices.

The Vivo X100 Pro and Oppo Find X7 Ultra are examples of phones I personally own which have implemented the feature sensibly.

I personally like HyperOS. For me, on the stock CN rom, it's rock solid, never had a more stable android OS to my recollection. I like that it doesn't give full permissions to every app by default and you need to do some work setting it up. I see the green dot so seldom I do like it as it's usually relevant when it's displayed. Notifications are instant, including gmail.
I'm sure it's not for everyone but then there are other brands you can buy instead like samsung, google, oppo, oneplus, motorola, vivo, asus or tcl just to name a few.

It sucks buying a phone you don't enjoy but not sure it's worth getting bothered about as there are options available.