[APP] Mi2raw – enables capturing real raw!

Solf

Members
Nov 30, 2013
Overview:
Turn your device into a professional camera!
Mi2raw reveals the raw images capture feature, similar to MI3. You can edit and manipulate these files freely in any software that supports DNG file (like Adobe camera raw, Lightroom & etc.)

Changelist:
Code:
Version 2.9 (20140901):

- Bug fix: now the DNG sync with PC without rebooting.
- DNG browser: long click to open in a DNG interpreter app.
- Added: French and Arabic translations (view credits).

--------------------

Version 2.8 (20140820):

- New in-app DNG thumbnail browser
- New "fast auto" ISO feature for MI2/s/a, MI3 only
- Translated to: Bulgarian, Czech, Italian, Chinese (Traditional & Simplified), Slovak, Spanish. See credits in settings and in app description.
- Default save directory for new user is under DCIM
- Improved UI
- Improved orientation

--------------------

Version 2.7 (20140806):

- ZTE Nubia Z5sn is now suported
- MI2: patch won't be applied if API isn't 4.1
- New file dialog when choosing "save images to". Fixes folder creation bug on MI3.

--------------------

Version 2.6 (20140803):

- 0.7 second on MI2s!
- LG G2 and MI3 are now supported!
- Camera driver patch for MI2 - requires root (thanks @[USER=23234]M1cha[/USER] & @[USER=27834]Wajk[/USER])
- Improved shutter animation and better sync with shutter sound to actual shot
- Added geo-tagging
- New amazing icon thanks to @[USER=97182]endia[/USER]
- Added 2 continuous focus modes
- Smaller DNG thumbnail
- Zebra doesn't always worked - fixed
- Lossless compression option added - DNG 1.4 and up
- Orientation is now embedded in DNG
- AEL button fix

--------------------

Version 2.4 (20140523):

- PNG guidelines overlay option
- Zebra pattern after a shot (raw space)
- Even faster! (1.7 sec - 13mp, 1.3 sec - 8mp)
- AEL isn't released after a shot
- Semi-transparent background for camera info line
- Shutter animation instead of pop-up message
- Bug fixed: focus stuck until restart
- Improved orientation hysteresis
- Bigger shutter button
- "Flash on" mode fires on shot (not torch)
- Preferences screen: save path, clipping, focus assist, guidelines
- App loads directly (no preload title)

--------------------

Version 2.2 (20140325):

- Shows shutter speed (and ISO if auto ISO is selected) when AE is locked! Embeds this info in the DNG as well. Watch the video to see the usage.
- Up to 54% speed improvement on file creation time!
- Orientation hysteresis to avoid buttons from dancing on orientation change
- Small bug fixes

--------------------

Version 2.0 (20140316):

- Major UI (design) & ergonomics improvement
- Camera sounds on/off toggle
- Camera parameters information line
- Samsung S5K3H7 bug fix
- Plays a sound on focus success

--------------------

Version 1.9beta rc1 (20140227):

- Works with all MI2 & MI2s phone models (both 16GB & 32GB)!
- Generates better DNGs
- New focus assist feature

Thanks to:
@[USER=86365]oile[/USER] - for brave camera modules altering, testing and good advice
@[USER=38680]stillka[/USER] & @[USER=94101]slavke1976[/USER] - for testing
@[USER=23234]M1cha[/USER] - for sharing hwinfo tool code

--------------------

Version 1.1beta (20140217):
- Should be ROM independent now! (If you get an error, please send the err number)
- Aggressive sharpness added in preview for easier focusing (doesn't effect DNG)
- AE lock button doesn't crash anymore
- If AE is locked prior to a shot, it is released together with the preview after the shot
- Small focusing improvments in low light

--------------------

Version 1.0 (20140131):
- Released

Features:
- Captures real linear, Bayer array, raw files from the amazing Sony IMX135, IMX175 and Samsung S5K3H7 sensors (~16 -26MB per file, depends on the sensor)
- Generates and embeds preview into the DNG
- The DNG also contains the data of: date & time, ISO, shutter speed (the last 2 only if AE is locked)
- Available controllers: ISO, exposure compensation, Anti-flicker options, flash control & exposure lock
- Spot focus on touch
- Focus assist
- Clipping assist
- Generates the entire file in less than 2 seconds
- Option for lossless compression

How to preview the files on the phone:
Use an app for decoding DNG files, like “Raw Decoder” (in Play Store)

Compatibility:
- Xiaomi MI2, MI2s, MI2a
- Xiaomi MI3
- LG G2
- ZTE Nubia Z5sn
- OnePlus One

Download:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maginmp.app.mi2raw

TODO:
-

Known bugs:
-White balance information stored in the DNG is always set to daylight. Alter it in the raw editing software.

Notes:
If you like it, please rate it in the Play Store.
Please let me know if you experience any bug or problem and I’ll do my best to fix it the next release.
MaGinMP@gmail.com

Developed by MaGin (A.K.A Solf)

Donation:
This is a non-profit project... But a pint of beer donation will boost my motivation :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

sbsiso100.png sbsiso1600.pnghand_100_sbs.jpgmatroshka_100_sbs.jpg
--------------------
--------------------

Last edited:
Amazing!
Could you post some more difference examples?
What about imx175 on 16gb?
Many thanks man!

Reactions: erlkönig
I’ll post some more side-by-side comparisons in the following days

What about imx175 on 16gb?
it would be nice to have this app for all mi2/s devices

Well, unfortunately I have only the 32GB version and I don’t see a chance to get my hands on the 16GB soon.
However, I want to try to get a back compatibility till even MI1s. This might require even a calibration of new color matrices.
But before the above, I would like to fix the listed bugs and liberate it from ROM dependency (as some of you already noticed that the app works only on the MIUI rom)

cheers

I have the 32 GB mi2s but still get the message that it is only for the 32 gb version.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 2SC met Tapatalk

Using miui from last Friday from the en.miui.com forum.

Awesome. Looking forward to that day. Good luck with implementing and finetuning it.

Is this compatible with WIUI as well? Otherwise I must be doing something wrong because my pictures are not turning out that great. In any case, kudos to you for working on this and I hope your work will bring the Mi2S 32 GB camera back from the depths because since I've upgraded to this from the Mi2's 8 MP camera, my pictures have been surprisingly worse.

Swyped from my Mi2S

Reactions: oile
Is this compatible with WIUI as well? Otherwise I must be doing something wrong because my pictures are not turning out that great. In any case, kudos to you for working on this and I hope your work will bring the Mi2S 32 GB camera back from the depths because since I've upgraded to this from the Mi2's 8 MP camera, my pictures have been surprisingly worse.

Could you please share the DNG file?

Good news, works with WIUI :)

Since we are talking about a raw file, there are some additional tweaks that should be done to get the desired results.
These tweaks should be performed with a robust, high quality software - like Camera Raw (Photoshop) or its alternatives.
Phone apps for decoding DNGs should be used only for preview purposes.

Take a look at this result: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41573943/boojay-Dng-File---Copy_MaGin2.jpg

100% crop:
boojay-SBS.jpg

1. Since the correct white balance information is not embedded in the DNG (I've listed it in the first message) you should pick the white balance that pleases your eyes manually (choosing "auto white balance" in Camera Raw might be a good starting point). One of the greatest benefits of working with raw :)
2. If the image is under/over exposed you might try to fix it with "exposure" slider
3. Playing with brightness and contrast to get it punchy <-> soft
4. If you feel an overall haze, you can raise the black level correction or lower it if the deep shadows are totally clipped
5. Make it vivid by raising the saturation
6. Fixing lens vignetting and reducing purple fringing
7. NeatImage is the name of the magic in the aspect of noise reduction :) Requires a short calibration to make it look really good.

The above is more or less my guidelines in the workflow. You can make the process almost fully automated.

I hope it helps

Last edited:
Good news, works with WIUI :)

Since we are talking about a raw file, there are some additional tweaks that should be done to get the desired results.
These tweaks should be performed with a robust, high quality software - like Camera Raw (Photoshop) or its alternatives.
Phone apps for decoding DNGs should be used only for preview purposes.

I hope it helps

It does! Thanks a lot! Clearly I had/have no idea what I'm doing. I'll definitely look into it.

Wow, you made that picture look pretty badass! LOL

Hi,

I have 16GB version of MI2S with 8Mpx senzor, how can I help you to develop support for that version?

Reactions: Solf
As I promised to:

In general, beside working in linear space, raw gives you wider latitude in the aspect of dynamic range. The following example will illustrate it.

ISO: 200, light source: window, workflow as described earlier.

Scaled down entire image:
neo_fullsize_sbs.jpg

(look on the wall on the left)

100% crops:

hand_100_sbs.jpg

(Take a look on the details in the highlights!)

head_100_sbs.jpg

(Neo isn't a smeared vampire :) )

matroshka_100_sbs.jpg

Cheers

Wonderful job. It has to be said however that you're clearly talented in developing but moreover in photo editing!
The time you dedicated to the editing of one single photo IMHO clearly gives more value to the importance of software and libs wich have to do all the job done in fraction of seconds. Aspect in wich Samsung (as much as I'd like to hate them) clearly dedicate much more efforts than Xiaomi.
Testing extensively 13mpx and 8mpx sensors I was about to give up on the superiority of lens made by Samsung or (used by) Apple in IPhone.
These sidebyside could demonstrate the contrary. A very well done software on camera phones is as much important as lens/sensor.
I'm used to dslr environment in wich is a different story

Reactions: dextructor
[Quote = "Solf, pós: 198549, membro: 96004"] Which ROM do you use? At the moment only MIUI is supported [/ quote]
Using the ROM 4.2.24 Multilang. Xiaomi Mi2-Sc 32 GB.
Recognizes as 16GB and does not start

Last edited: