Bad Kamera Quality

Oct 4, 2020
After flashing an original Ultra from englisch to xiaomi.eu 20.9.24:
camera quality is bad, the pictures are not sharp.
only in pro it is a little bit better.
with the original english rom the quality was very great and sharp!!

I agree with you. Eu made the cameras worse in pictures and videos.
Let's wait and see what the devs will do

Reactions: faarys
Have you also tried using G-Cam instead of the native camera app? I've heard that it produces better photos.

Anyone tried the new weekly release (20.10.15) to see if it fixes anything with the cameras? This and the green tint on the front cam?

The 5x camera is missing when I tested mine. You can cover the camera with your figure and cycle the zooms and nothing gets obscured. Anything above 2x is just a digital zoom in the 2x camera

The 5x camera is missing when I tested mine. You can cover the camera with your figure and cycle the zooms and nothing gets obscured. Anything above 2x is just a digital zoom in the 2x camera
I just tested this, using my finger to cover certain cameras while the Camera app is on and it seems that:
1. if I choose 5x zoom, cover the 5x zoom periscope camera, the camera app will switch to using the main camera and use its digital zoom after about 3 seconds until...
2. I choose 5x zoom again, cover the main camera and the camera app then switches to the 5x zoom periscope camera again after about 3 seconds.

This is some strange behavior for sure.
I'd really love if the devs could just port the original chinese ROM Camera app over without modifying its functionality.

Until then, is it possible to install the chinese camera app myself over this one? I have a full TWRP backup of the system when I had the chinese ROM. And apps like Titanium Backup are able to extract .apks from TWRP nandroid backups, if I recall correctly.
Would that work? Or is there a particular reason why the chinese camera app just won't work on EU ROM natively?

Luckily, I made a TWRP backup of the chinese ROM before I flashed the EU ROM.
I managed to extract the original MiuiCamera from the chinese ROM and then I replaced the EU ROM's MiuiCamera by just replacing necessary libs and the MiuiCamera.apk file in /system/priv-app/MiuiCamera.

Then when I launched the Camera, I was greeted with the original chinese ROM camera, which seems to work just fine. The picture quality is back to normal.
So that was to satisfy my curiosity and answer my question - 'would the native Mi 10 Ultra camera app work under EU ROM' - the answer is yes.

If anyone has a rooted device and would like to attempt the same replacement (until the devs here hopefully have some time to look into the camera issues reported here), let me know and I can upload the original files here for you.

Last edited:
If you don't mind uploading the files, that'll be great. I wonder if there is a way of just sideloading it without having to root the phone.

I tested out my finger again this morning and it's not doing what is was doing last night. Maybe the phone realises it's bright outside and uses the periscope lens as intended

If you don't mind uploading the files, that'll be great. I wonder if there is a way of just sideloading it without having to root the phone.

I tested out my finger again this morning and it's not doing what is was doing last night. Maybe the phone realises it's bright outside and uses the periscope lens as intended
I've uploaded a copy of my /system/priv-app/MiuiCamera, you can get it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nr4oxcj4m7w7h92/MiuiCamera.zip/file

I tested it on Mi 10 Ultra EU weekly ROM build 20.9.24, the original camera app is extracted from the official chinese ROM V12.0.10.0

I'm not sure you can access the required system folder without root though.
For anyone about to try this, I strongly suggest you to backup the previous camera app either manually (its folder in priv-app), or with something like Titanium Backup.

Also, there's no need to run the package installer on the new camera app, in fact, it can mess things up.

It was sufficient to just replace the .apk and lib folder and then reboot the device.

Thanks man u r awesome ?

Can one of the moderators just make a flashable zip from this ?

How can we send our request to a moderator

I tested it on Mi 10 Ultra EU weekly ROM build 20.9.24, the original camera app is extracted from the official chinese ROM V12.0.10.0

For anyone about to try this, I strongly suggest you to backup the previous camera app either manually (its folder in priv-app), or with something like Titanium Backup.

Also, there's no need to run the package installer on the new camera app, in fact, it can mess things up.

It was sufficient to just replace the .apk and lib folder and then reboot the device.
Btw how you replace the file in the System root folder since it's in read only?

Reactions: Poney70
Btw how you replace the file in the System root folder since it's in read only?
Personally, I used FX File Explorer together with its root addon, it allows you to mount system as read/write as well (in the menu, you tap on the "System (root)" tab, then open the 3-white-dots menu on top right and select "Mount read-write").

Other root file explorers are probably capable of this as well, or if you know your way around the terminal, you should be able to copy necessary files that way as well (using su)

Reactions: Poney70 and faarys
Personally, I used FX File Explorer together with its root addon, it allows you to mount system as read/write as well (in the menu, you tap on the "System (root)" tab, then open the 3-white-dots menu on top right and select "Mount read-write").

Other root file explorers are probably capable of this as well, or if you know your way around the terminal, you should be able to copy necessary files that way as well (using su)
Thank you for sharing this method, it worked for me :), camera on China rom is much2 better

Hello,

What about the .apk? The zip file contains only the lib folder

Thank you

Hello,

What about the .apk? The zip file contains only the lib folder

Thank you
I'm not sure what you mean, the zip file contains both the lib folder and the apk.

Just downloaded it again to verify.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-17-19-47-04-134_nextapp.fx.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-17-19-47-04-134_nextapp.fx.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 316
Luckily, I made a TWRP backup of the chinese ROM before I flashed the EU ROM.
I managed to extract the original MiuiCamera from the chinese ROM and then I replaced the EU ROM's MiuiCamera by just replacing necessary libs and the MiuiCamera.apk file in /system/priv-app/MiuiCamera.

Then when I launched the Camera, I was greeted with the original chinese ROM camera, which seems to work just fine. The picture quality is back to normal.
So that was to satisfy my curiosity and answer my question - 'would the native Mi 10 Ultra camera app work under EU ROM' - the answer is yes.

If anyone has a rooted device and would like to attempt the same replacement (until the devs here hopefully have some time to look into the camera issues reported here), let me know and I can upload the original files here for you.
Does it also fix the green front camera issue?

How? If you don't mind me asking
I just copy MiuiCamera folder to my /system/priv-app/MiuiCamera (use magisk for root access) & use Fx file explorer
, you can get it here:
Credit to fw85-
Don't forget to backup the original MiuiCamera folder beforehand

I just copy MiuiCamera to my /system/priv-app/MiuiCamera (use magisk for root access)
, you can get it here:

Don't forget to backup the original MiuiCamera folder beforehand
I did but it reboots to fastboot

It would be good if someone was to make up a flash version. We could then re- flash the working camera over any updated ROM until it gets fixed.

It would be good if someone was to make up a flash version. We could then re- flash the working camera over any updated ROM until it gets fixed.
Flash version? But TWRP can't mount as Read/Write the System partition on Mi 10 Ultra... :(
Only thing we can do is a Magisk module. ;)

Shame but thanks for confirming.
Edit, I have just had a read that this was changed in Android a while ago. That will teach me for not keeping up with the topic while on Huawei phones where there has been no flashing/ modding since bootloaders were fully locked down.

Last edited: