Bootloader Unlock made harder.

kevinbad2010

Members
Oct 27, 2023
Seems like Xiaomi made unlocking the bootloader a lot more harder for HyperOS, requiring Chinese ID or Bank Card and that we need to also need to achieve level 5 on CN Xiaomi Community
Do you guys think there will be a way to unlock without going through this?

If this ends up being the final decision I'm done with Xiaomi/Redmi/POCO. Will probably move to OnePlus or Pixel or Nothing Next.

Hard to say. It's unclear what will end up being the procedure for international users since those requirements are not possible for us.
It's almost as if Xiaomi got bored of the device sales revenue.

here is a post from a Chinese user from a month and a half ago.

"Xiaomi may ban unlock bootloader in the future, maybe only in China or globally.
This appears to be a requirement of Chinese government agencies. Xiaomi, which is headquartered in Beijing, may be the first to obey orders. If I can’t unlock the bootloader, I won’t buy Xiaomi again."

here is a post from a Chinese user from a month and a half ago.

"Xiaomi may ban unlock bootloader in the future, maybe only in China or globally.
This appears to be a requirement of Chinese government agencies. Xiaomi, which is headquartered in Beijing, may be the first to obey orders. If I can’t unlock the bootloader, I won’t buy Xiaomi again."
The requirement says manufacturers must try to prevent the device being sideloaded with malware before first sale to consumer(so basically no unlocking bootloader until the OEM knows it’s in the hands of the final customer, not a reseller). Xiaomi’s 168h rule already exists to prevent this. But it’s not the first time if Xiaomi misunderstands the rule.

The requirement says manufacturers must try to prevent the device being sideloaded with malware before first sale to consumer(so basically no unlocking bootloader until the OEM knows it’s in the hands of the final customer, not a reseller). Xiaomi’s 168h rule already exists to prevent this. But it’s not the first time if Xiaomi misunderstands the rule.
So how can we explain the current impossibility of unlocking?

Either 1:Xiaomi misunderstood the new regulations,
2:Xiaomi wants to force engagement on the Xiaomi Community App, or
3: To block warranty fraud since Xiaomi warranties devices with custom ROMs or ROOT.

Either 1:Xiaomi misunderstood the new regulations,
2:Xiaomi wants to force engagement on the Xiaomi Community App, or
3: To block warranty fraud since Xiaomi warranties devices with custom ROMs or ROOT.
What new regulations?

What new regulations?
the new rules from the rumour you sent. The rule that OEMs must prevent risks of bad ware before delivery to customer. This means preventing BL unlocking by resellers, but Xiaomi could misunderstood that.

In my opinion this current impossibility is because Xiaomi doesn't want anymore resellers of CN Rom, they went beyond the new regulations for this reason alone from my gut instinct.

the new rules from the rumour you sent. The rule that OEMs must prevent risks of bad ware before delivery to customer. This means preventing BL unlocking by resellers, but Xiaomi could misunderstood that.
This is only valid for Cn devices with a Global or Eu rom which are unlocked by the sellers but what about Global devices?
And how would Xiaomi impose rules that it doesn't understand?

He doesn't misunderstand at all, he did it on purpose for reasons he didn't officially declare in my opinion