Can ROM affect GPS accuracy?

beminacc

Members
Aug 3, 2017
Can ROM affect GPS accuracy?
I guess not and the chip does everything on its own without the MIUI affecting it?

My RN7 with the .eu ROM lowers GPS accuracy exactly 60s after the screen was unlocked - I can replicate this behavior every time.
It jumps from ~3.2 m (it will never be better than this by the way), to 9.6 m after one minute - while the screen is on. This also happens when I hold the phone in my hand and walk in the field with the screen constantly on and the app in the foreground.
Meanwhile some RN9S I have, does not show this issue and will lock to ~3.2 m all the time.

Just guessing here but I personally think, this behaviour has something to do with battery optimisations. I'm on a mi mix 3 5g on the stock miui 12 ROM here and I don't have such issues as long as the "dual GPS" is on. And as far as I know the dual GPS just uses both cellular and GPS for higher accuracy. It could be that the .EU ROM has problems with the dual GPS functionality however my bet is on battery optimisations.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

battery optimisations.

Yes, but no idea how you would disable this. There is nothing in the UI for this. I don't have any energy savings mode enabled, neither for the phone, nor for the app (all optimizations disabled in app settings) that shows the GPS data. And the location provider apps cannot be regulated from the app settings it seems.
I guess it's some internal energy savings function from MIUI?

The phone is basically completely useless to capture GPS tracks right now.