Can someone explain rom version numbers?

Luchador

Members
Jul 28, 2018
Hi all!

I am new to Xiaomi after buying the Redmi 5A Global edition and I'm getting a bit confused by all the different rom versions I see.

Currently I just updated the stock (global) rom to MIUI V9.6.2.0.NCKMIFD via OTA.
When I look at the version numbers for MIUI on this forum I see the latest release is 8.7.26. This is with MIUI 10. Is this a beta release or is it already stable?
On the miui.com forums I have noticed the post about the MIUI 10 global beta rom, which is also 8.7.26.

I'm wondering about how it can be that I just updated to 9.6.2.0 on MIUI 9 when the MIUI 10 roms all start with 8.x.x.x.

I feel like I might be better off with the EU rom becuase I live in the Netherlands, but with all these different version numbers I'm hesitant to load another rom at the moment.

rom version numbering follows two major lines
the stable rom starts with the miui version (v9 for miui9),followed by numbers indicating the specific version of the release
NCKMIFD means it's a global rom i guess
china rom will go "NCKCNFD"?

dev ones' naming is different
8 means it's for miui10
7.26 means it's released (by xiaomi) on the date
since xiaomi.eu is based on chinese dev rom currently, it just uses the version number of the official ones...
I'm not sure this is 100% correct lol, but it's probably the case